Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone done control arms/upper ball joints?? Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 01:50 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone done control arms/upper ball joints?? Need advice!

Lexus has reccomended I do the upper ball joints, which I've come to understand you have to buy the entire control arm to do, Lexus wanted 1660$ to do them, it seems like they'd be fairly easy to replace at least right? I'm no mechanic but i can do basic projects, my big question however is has anyone bought any besides oem? It's sounding like oem control arms are in the 500-600$ range a piece, I thought I saw some on rockauto for 150ish but I could be mistaken, I guess I'd just like to know if aftermarket parts would degrade the ride quality of the car I like to buy oem but I'm on a budget at the moment, but if anyone's had problems with aftermarket ill save for the oem.
Old 08-12-13, 10:21 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I did mine with aftermarket control arms and the quality seems to be on par with the OEM ones. Save yourself the cash from the overpriced OEM ones. The job isn't difficult either especially if you're on stock suspension. The only snag I ran into was that I have aftermarket springs on the stock shocks so I had to remove the shocks because the bolts wouldn't come out completely since the springs are more compressed.
Old 08-13-13, 10:48 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
I did mine with aftermarket control arms and the quality seems to be on par with the OEM ones. Save yourself the cash from the overpriced OEM ones. The job isn't difficult either especially if you're on stock suspension. The only snag I ran into was that I have aftermarket springs on the stock shocks so I had to remove the shocks because the bolts wouldn't come out completely since the springs are more compressed.
What brand did you go with? How long have you been running them?
Old 08-13-13, 01:02 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

I may have to go with aftermarket, if and when I do I'll be sure to leave a write up with how it went, I think you only have to remove three screws right? And then you'd need an alignment I believe?
Old 08-13-13, 03:46 PM
CodPiece
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I may have to go with aftermarket, if and when I do I'll be sure to leave a write up with how it went, I think you only have to remove three screws right? And then you'd need an alignment I believe?
Let me know which aftermarket ones you end up buying. I'm currently looking at the moment.
Old 08-15-13, 08:51 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I bought Dorman. The part #'s are 520-457 & 520-458. They have them on Amazon for less than $100 each.
Old 08-15-13, 04:53 PM
CodPiece
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are front upper arms.

OP referring to rear upper arms...I think?

At least I was.
Old 08-16-13, 08:42 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I think the op might have been referring to the front ones because Rock Auto doesn't sell the rear ones for our cars, at least from what I saw. As far as the rear UCA, from my quick search, aftermarket seem to be pretty expensive as well. You might be able to save a few hundred dollars by going aftermarket. They go for about $1,200 for the pair on Sewell Lexus Parts with the Club Lexus discount, about $1,000 for the pair on Amazon.

Originally Posted by CodPiece
Those are front upper arms.

OP referring to rear upper arms...I think?

At least I was.
Old 08-19-13, 01:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i just replaced my UCA with a set from ebay a few weeks ago and the install went easier than i thought. The alignment shop wanted $212 for installation so i figured i would do it myself.. The hardest part is working on the car while on the ground.. After a few hours i was so sore from wrenching in a seated position..
Old 08-19-13, 12:30 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

I did see oem new UCAs for 370$ each on eBay which still expensive is a lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted, seems the labor is actually pretty easy? I'd have to do it on the ground too though..
Old 08-19-13, 07:06 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lukas, you're talking about rear upper arms yea?
Old 08-24-13, 02:54 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

No front, because I need the ball joints
Old 08-24-13, 11:47 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Oh... Yea any of the aftermarket ones will be fine man. Extremely easy job can be done in 1hr if you know what you're doing. Only 2 bolts and 1 castle nut w/ cotter pin per side. For the price of oem spec arms I would just go with Megan Racing adjustable. Just my opinion though. :P
Old 08-25-13, 02:14 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revive
Oh... Yea any of the aftermarket ones will be fine man. Extremely easy job can be done in 1hr if you know what you're doing. Only 2 bolts and 1 castle nut w/ cotter pin per side. For the price of oem spec arms I would just go with Megan Racing adjustable. Just my opinion though. :P
Thanks a lot man, it does seem easy enough. I just don't understand what makes these so expensive in the first place! Would you have to get an alignment after or no?
Old 08-25-13, 06:53 AM
Revive
Lead Lap

Yea I would recommend having alignment checked after.

Quick Reply: Anyone done control arms/upper ball joints?? Need advice!