Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking at options, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 02:48 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at options, need suggestions

Need some advice on what I should be looking to run... I have done some research and see that Megan and BC seem to be the two most popular options for Coilovers.

Here is what I want to run/my priorities:
  • 19" Rims... 20s would be nice, but I don't think I want the added headache of clearance.
  • I want a very low stance for shows, photoshoots, ect, but I also want to be able to retain some form of smooth ride quality when I raise it back up

What coilovers would you suggest?

Also, in terms of wheels/tires, what should I be aware of as to not run into any issues.

One last question.. are there any supporting mods needed other than coilovers? On my car car I had lowering springs, aftermarket ball joints, tie rod ends, caster/camber plates, ect.
Old 06-25-13, 11:42 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Anyone have some input?
Old 06-25-13, 04:41 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The nice thing with coilover is you can adjust the damper on the car which means you can go soft or stiff however you like it.

BC racing coilovers are great depends on what style your going for and the Megan racing coilovers are awesome bang for your buck. I personally run them on one of my cars and my car is low to the ground.

Now for the wheels since you want to go low you have to put into consideration offset and width of the wheels the wider and lower offset you go the more camber you will need to run depending on the drop you want. Also i highly recommend you rolling your fenders and for the rear once again depending on how wide and low you go you might need to pull the panels.

Ive seen a lot of the IS cars on 20's and for the front they just rolled the fender and maybe a slight stretch on the tire.

Ive seen a equal number of the IS run the 19" staggered also.

as for the rear they it will camber and since you have the supporting items needed you can adjust as necessary.

What type of wheels are you looking into by the way?
Old 06-25-13, 04:56 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Out of the two I go with BCR with custom spring rate and $100 a cartridge to replace if one goes bad. So there no down time waiting for them to be rebuild by anybody but you.
Old 06-26-13, 12:33 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
The nice thing with coilover is you can adjust the damper on the car which means you can go soft or stiff however you like it.

BC racing coilovers are great depends on what style your going for and the Megan racing coilovers are awesome bang for your buck. I personally run them on one of my cars and my car is low to the ground.

Now for the wheels since you want to go low you have to put into consideration offset and width of the wheels the wider and lower offset you go the more camber you will need to run depending on the drop you want. Also i highly recommend you rolling your fenders and for the rear once again depending on how wide and low you go you might need to pull the panels.

Ive seen a lot of the IS cars on 20's and for the front they just rolled the fender and maybe a slight stretch on the tire.

Ive seen a equal number of the IS run the 19" staggered also.

as for the rear they it will camber and since you have the supporting items needed you can adjust as necessary.

What type of wheels are you looking into by the way?
When you mention the rear camber, the supporting mod, what would that be?

Rolling the fenders will not be an issue. I may go ahead and do that regardless.

What width and offset would you suggest for 19" rims, going quite low, while maintaining decent camber?
Old 06-26-13, 05:14 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
Need some advice on what I should be looking to run... I have done some research and see that Megan and BC seem to be the two most popular options for Coilovers.

Here is what I want to run/my priorities:
  • 19" Rims... 20s would be nice, but I don't think I want the added headache of clearance.
  • I want a very low stance for shows, photoshoots, ect, but I also want to be able to retain some form of smooth ride quality when I raise it back up

What coilovers would you suggest?

Also, in terms of wheels/tires, what should I be aware of as to not run into any issues.

One last question.. are there any supporting mods needed other than coilovers? On my car car I had lowering springs, aftermarket ball joints, tie rod ends, caster/camber plates, ect.

Rolling the fenders will not be an issue. I may go ahead and do that regardless.

What width and offset would you suggest for 19" rims, going quite low, while maintaining decent camber?
I dont understand what you mean by clearance issues in regards to 20s. Ive run 3 different set of 20s with no problem.

Depending on how low you go, you would need to do fender mods and possible camber kits. It all depends. Go with Megan EZ or BC racing coils, depending on your budget.
Old 06-26-13, 11:25 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

whenever you lower the a car it naturally will camber itself.

Now when you have the rear camber kit on the car it allows for you to dial in the camber either by increasing it or decreasing it.

As for rolling fenders i always recommend it regardless of the wheels you put on just for peace of mind.

For 19" wheels on a lowered Lexus IS250 i always reference towards Vossen Fitment because they are one of the Best Wheels on the Markest right now and cuz they are Awesome at fitment.

Now for your car what i recommend is

19x8.5 +32
19x10 +38

the tires i would recommend is Hankook K110 V12 Evo

235/35/19
265/30/19

with this type of fitment it will give you a nice aggressive look but you wont have any fitment problems on the car.

Take a look into the 19" Vossen CV3 wheels in Matte Graphite one of my personal favorites with the Vossen Line!!!

PM me if you have any other questions
Old 06-26-13, 12:27 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Is your car an AWD or RWD? I lowered my car (08 AWD IS250) on BC Racing coils with the Swift spring upgrade, 12k front and 10k rear. Currently running 19x8 +37 with 235/35 up front, and 19x10.5 +43 with 275/30. It is lowered to about 1 finger gap on all four corners. You will need camber kits on all four corners to zero out the camber.. The closest to OEM spec I could get with the OEM hardware was about -1 degree up front and -1.5 in the back. I plan on rolling the rear fenders, lowering the car another .25" or .5", setting the camber in the back to 0, camber up front to either 0 or maybe -0.5. Let me know if you'd like a pic of how the car sits now, without the camber kit.

Also, in terms of ride quality, the BC's with the Swift springs are worth the extra money. Rides like stock, maybe a little firmer than OEM on normal roads, and the dampers handle road imperfections like train tracks and road seams very well. I have yet to play around with the damper settings (I used the same settings that they came with in the box).

My specs should look very close to the specs outlined by Need4Speed. He knows his stuff =)
Old 06-26-13, 01:01 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Is your car an AWD or RWD? I lowered my car (08 AWD IS250) on BC Racing coils with the Swift spring upgrade, 12k front and 10k rear. Currently running 19x8 +37 with 235/35 up front, and 19x10.5 +43 with 275/30. It is lowered to about 1 finger gap on all four corners. You will need camber kits on all four corners to zero out the camber.. The closest to OEM spec I could get with the OEM hardware was about -1 degree up front and -1.5 in the back. I plan on rolling the rear fenders, lowering the car another .25" or .5", setting the camber in the back to 0, camber up front to either 0 or maybe -0.5. Let me know if you'd like a pic of how the car sits now, without the camber kit.

Also, in terms of ride quality, the BC's with the Swift springs are worth the extra money. Rides like stock, maybe a little firmer than OEM on normal roads, and the dampers handle road imperfections like train tracks and road seams very well. I have yet to play around with the damper settings (I used the same settings that they came with in the box).

My specs should look very close to the specs outlined by Need4Speed. He knows his stuff =)

Thanks for the compliment
Old 07-01-13, 01:33 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Thank you for all the info, this is exactly what I needed.

Could someone point me to where I can research this camber kit? Cost, ect.?
Old 07-01-13, 10:15 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

just hit up one of the vendors in the vendor section. they have deals all the time
Old 07-01-13, 11:38 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used Megan rear camber arms and you can get their toe arms too or I bought the Figs toe links for the rear. The front offers the SPC ball joints or the Megan upper A arm.