Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

please help? sway bar difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 10:01 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb please help? sway bar difficulty

i installed the trd sway bars. it went smooth. except for ofcourse the last nut on the rear sway bar. i got the brackets on there fine. but on the rear right side i had a problem where the sway actually attaches to the arm. the left side went on fine, real tight. the right not so good. as i was tightening i noticed it just kept spining. the amoutn of thread showing thru the nut is the same as the fully tightend left side. but why does it keep spinning. i tried to take it off and it keeps spinning, so its on there. i used locktite. i dont get it? can anyone out there please help me??? i really feel everythings ok, but just to make sure. how can i stop it from spining, and maybe tighten it more? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanx to all!!!
Old 01-04-03, 10:47 PM
rwerth7
Driver School Candidate

My guess is that you stripped either the bolt or the nut. Hopefully it is the bolt. Use a locking pliers, turn the bolt counter clockwise while you pull down with the pliers. Hopefully you can reengage some threads and remove the bolt. It can be replaced at the dealer. If it is the nut you will have to rethread it and use an oversize bolt. The bolts that come with the kit appear to have very soft metal. Use a torque wrench to make sure you don't overtighten and either break the bolt or strip the threads. On the regular sway bars the torque is 13 pounds and I would assume it is the same for the TRDs. Good luck.
Old 01-04-03, 10:59 PM
rwerth7
Driver School Candidate

In re-reading your post I now realize you are referring to the nut that attaches the bar to the link. In my first thread I thought you were referring to the bolts attaching the bushing bracket. Try removing the bolt with a locking pliers. If you can hopefully it is the bolt that is stripped. Otherwise it may be the link which may need to be replaced. Torque on the nut between the bar and the link is 48 lbs and between the link and the frame is 22 lbs. Good luck.
Old 01-04-03, 11:13 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Unhappy i dont think it is stripped????

i was careful, i twisted it in by hand most of the way. on what do i lock the locking pliers on? thanx for the help, but i really hope i didnt strip anything. i tightened the other side the same way and, no problems. its on there, so maybe i can just leave it? the whole thing twists with the bolt. it seems like i need to hold the other side of the bolt. the nut and the bolt twist together? please any other feedback would help, thanx!
Old 01-04-03, 11:22 PM
rwerth7
Driver School Candidate

It has been a long day! Where I said try removing the bolt I ment nut.

The sway attaches to a ball joint on the link which has a "threaded bolt" extending from it. The sway fits on the "threaded bolt" and is held in place with a nut. I assume you are saying that the nut and the "threaded bolt" that extends from the ball joint is spinning.
Old 01-04-03, 11:31 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default exactly

yes, it never really got tight? but it screwed in there as far as the fully tight one on the left rear. i knew what you meant about the nut and bolt thing, hope you can understand me? long day also. so i need to stop the bolt from spining with the nut. id like to see if its stripped or what? i used lock tite? is that maybe why? no because the other side was smooth. do i even want to try taking it off? should i just leave it? i dont think its stripped because it went in straight, the bolt(about 1 line) pokes thru the nut equally on both sides. as i tightened it , it screwed in with a minimal resistance the whole time. but never stopped or got tight, i then realized the whole thing was spinning? i appreciate your advice! thanx!
Old 01-05-03, 01:26 AM
rwerth7
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure why the ball joint is spinning unless it is damaged. I not sure what to suggest. Maybe someone else will have some ideas. You might want to try removing the sway and links as one unit and see if you can tighten the nut on a bench. Each link attaches to the frame with a bolt and a nut (22 lbs). If you remove them and the brackets holding the sway bushings all three parts, two links and one sway, may come out as one unit. I just not sure if there is room to remove all three pieces as one unit. If you can you then may be able to see why it is not tightening. At worst you can bring in the unit to the dealer who can look at the link and tell if it needs to be replaced because the "bolt" coming off of the ball joint is not offering enough resistance to be able to tighten the nut. Good luck
Old 01-05-03, 01:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the thing is, if you try to unscrew it and you still can't get it out, then most likely it's stripped....
Old 01-05-03, 03:03 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default I PROBALLY NEED A NEW RIGHT BALL JOINT.

I HOPE NOT I WILL RE INSPECT SOON. ANYONE HAVE A PART NUMBER FOR ME? THANX TO ALL!
Old 01-05-03, 01:24 PM
rwerth7
Driver School Candidate

(RH) 48830D
(LH) 48840A

Same for GS300 or GS400
Old 01-08-03, 02:09 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default TAHNX

REAL HELPFULL AS ALWAYS. I ORDERED THE PART, BUT FOR NOW ITS ON THERE GOOD. I THINK POSSIBLY THE LOCKTITE DRIED, AND WHEN I GAVE IT THAT LAST MAKE SURE ITS TIGHT TWIST, THE WHOLE THINK STARTED TURNING. IT COST 50.00 BUCKS BUT I WILL NEED IT WHEN I HAVE TO SAW THE BOLT OFF. THAT IS IF I EVER WANT TO GO BACK TO STOCK SWAYS.