Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Comfortable as Megan EZ Streets And Better For Under A Grand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 01:27 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Comfortable as Megan EZ Streets And Better For Under A Grand?

I was going to pull the trigger on Megan EZ streets today now but can't find them in stock.

Is there anything better and just as comfortable for under a grand?

They will be used in NYC on horrible roads.

I will never track the car. Just want a nice drop, good handling, and COMFORT.

Thank you,
SG
Old 05-31-13, 10:42 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have BC coilovers BR series and they are very comfortable you can also choose your spring rates. i paid $950 for them
Old 06-01-13, 04:53 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sc4demon
i have BC coilovers BR series and they are very comfortable you can also choose your spring rates. i paid $950 for them
Hmmmmm,
I heard good things about those. I'll look for some reviews.

Thank You,
SG
Old 06-01-13, 05:00 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oem TT supra springs and shocks. $200 roughly for a used set. You'll probably never adjust your coilovers anyway.
Old 06-01-13, 07:00 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gixxer drew.

Yes it can be done for under a grand. I picked up my springs for $35 a corner and the sleeve kits weren't much more. The biggest piece are the TT shocks but those are ~$450 new.

Just as a heads up, BC and Megan are almost the same. They both come out of the same Taiwanese sweatshop errrr factory.
Old 06-01-13, 07:12 AM
Tam4511
Driver

How can you not find megans in stock? check ebay and parts dealers.
Old 06-01-13, 08:47 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hmhatch
Oem TT supra springs and shocks. $200 roughly for a used set. You'll probably never adjust your coilovers anyway.
I am considering this for sure. Admittedly vanity has me thinking of the coils. I want the flexible height so I can find what looks good and feels good.

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Gixxer drew.

Yes it can be done for under a grand. I picked up my springs for $35 a corner and the sleeve kits weren't much more. The biggest piece are the TT shocks but those are ~$450 new.

Just as a heads up, BC and Megan are almost the same. They both come out of the same Taiwanese sweatshop errrr factory.
I am leaning more towards this now that I have the bread. How did you find the proper springs for 35$ WOW? Isn't there a specific type of spring it requires? 2 inches maximum drop right? Did you make it yourself or pay someone to make it?

Originally Posted by Tam4511
How can you not find megans in stock? check ebay and parts dealers.
I think Megan is out of them. Seems most vendors just drop ship from Megan. I emailed and called 8 or so vendors and tried Megan themselves. Their email link is broken and they did not pickup the phone yesterday. Maybe it's a good thing if I wind up with a Gixxer Drew or better setup instead.
I may pull the trigger on those today pending further investigation.
Old 06-01-13, 09:41 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I highly recommend you go with BC's or PBM's

I highly recommend you go with BC racings, build is great and ride is great too, I installed a custom set for an FR-S 10k all around and man it was quality. I do recall you wanting to go with more aggressive wheels later on so I say get something with a stiffer spring rate like the BC's or PBM's. I know you want comfort but being too soft is just as bad if your going a tad lower especially on new york roads.
Old 06-01-13, 12:37 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

$34.99

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GARAGE...ING,67961.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GARAGE...ING,68062.html

As long as its the right length and spring rate. They're basic linear rate springs so they're hard to screw up.
Old 06-01-13, 12:58 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Gixxer drew.

I Pulled The Trigger!

I just ordered the Gixxer Drew parts. I went with all the recommended parts and they will be here next week hopefully.
Being as I live in NYC, i went with the softer spring rates (500/250). I don't think i will regret it here.
I am about to look for the Mustang Bump Stops. I got the Bilstein branded sleeve but i am unsure what length they are. I used Shox.com for the Bilstein parts and Shock Shop for the Hypercoil springs.
Does 500/250 rate prevent LOW?
Old 06-01-13, 01:22 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I Pulled The Trigger!

I just ordered the Gixxer Drew parts. I went with all the recommended parts and they will be here next week hopefully.
Being as I live in NYC, i went with the softer spring rates (500/250). I don't think i will regret it here.
I am about to look for the Mustang Bump Stops. I got the Bilstein branded sleeve but i am unsure what length they are. I used Shox.com for the Bilstein parts and Shock Shop for the Hypercoil springs.
Does 500/250 rate prevent LOW?
I don't exactly know why they say to use Mustang bumpstops. They don't fit snuggly on the shafts like the OEM bumpstops and IIRC the original instructions from Gixxerdrew called for modified stock bumpstops which is probably a great idea if the OEM ones are still in good shape.

These are not the coilovers you want if you want to slam the car. These are probably the best all around street/handling setup since it uses a true linear rate spring and a proven Bilstein monotube. They will lower at least 2" easily but that doesn't mean it's going to handle better when that low.
Old 06-01-13, 01:41 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I don't exactly know why they say to use Mustang bumpstops. They don't fit snuggly on the shafts like the OEM bumpstops and IIRC the original instructions from Gixxerdrew called for modified stock bumpstops which is probably a great idea if the OEM ones are still in good shape.

These are not the coilovers you want if you want to slam the car. These are probably the best all around street/handling setup since it uses a true linear rate spring and a proven Bilstein monotube. They will lower at least 2" easily but that doesn't mean it's going to handle better when that low.
Ok cool, I'll just cut the stock bumpstops.
No plans to slam the car as I am in NYC however I would like to experiment with the adjustability to educate myself and find what I like. Handling and ride are most important but I want it to look hot as well.

EDIT: I purchased the bumpstops too. He must have changed it for a reason.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-01-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 01:30 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the spring rate of the Megan coilovers? I can't seem to find where it shows that.

It jus says that the height can be adjusted but they don't give any specifics. "Ex: spring rate from stock to 2 inches"

Last edited by bigwes; 06-02-13 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 05:52 PM
CleanSC3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigwes
Does anyone know the spring rate of the Megan coilovers? I can't seem to find where it shows that.
12kg front, 8kg rear

http://www.redline360.com/megan-raci...-MR-CDK-LS3-EZ
Old 06-04-13, 02:17 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

They were unsure when the Bilsteins would ship so I cancelled them.
I ordered BC Racing BR series Coilovers and they should be here by friday!

Quick Reply: Comfortable as Megan EZ Streets And Better For Under A Grand?