Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Confused about control arms/control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 09:23 AM
fonebone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about control arms/control arm bushings

Non-mechanic here.

If I'm replacing the ball joints on my GS400, do I also need to replace the upper and lower control arms?

Also, I see numerous control arm bushing kits for sale in the $100 range, although none of them seem to be polyurethane (or at least they are no advertised as such). Is there such a thing?

Lastly, if I am buying new control arms, will they have new bushing installed? Or would I need to purchase those separately?
Old 05-15-13, 09:40 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

Ball joints replacement are usally done along with tie rod ends (there is an inner & outter tie rod). I replaced my ball joints & outter tie rod ends. If your inner is leaking as it's part of the steering rack, I'd replace that too.

There is a upper control arm (U shaped), lower control arm (stright arm) called #1 and another control arm which is #2 (S shaped) that has the caster bushing. More than likely, your caster bushing is bad (arm #2) so you can replace that entire arm or press in rubber bushings (search on here). Control arms will have bushings pressed in so it's a bolt on job. Try Sewell Lexus for parts - Register there and save coin.

Search on here - tons on the topic
Old 05-15-13, 10:49 AM
fonebone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RikTT
Ball joints replacement are usally done along with tie rod ends (there is an inner & outter tie rod). I replaced my ball joints & outter tie rod ends. If your inner is leaking as it's part of the steering rack, I'd replace that too.

There is a upper control arm (U shaped), lower control arm (stright arm) called #1 and another control arm which is #2 (S shaped) that has the caster bushing. More than likely, your caster bushing is bad (arm #2) so you can replace that entire arm or press in rubber bushings (search on here). Control arms will have bushings pressed in so it's a bolt on job. Try Sewell Lexus for parts - Register there and save coin.

Search on here - tons on the topic
Thanks. I'm planning to replace ball joints and tie rods with Moog to improve stability/safety. Figured I'd do control arms at the same time. I've seen lots of comments here about replacing the bushings, but I was able to buy both upper and lower control arms for for both sides, Moog, for <$200 (thanks to advice I found here), and if they're simple enough to install that should save on labor costs vs just replacing the bushings.