Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway bar kit

Old 06-30-13, 08:29 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I only have 1 on, the rear. It handles much better. Most cars always need more rear bar anyway.

Turn in is more responsive.
Cornering is much much flatter.

Nothing negative at all.

Does it need the front bar? Sure, it could. It is fairly neutral now, but you can feel the front needs a little more bar, Not a lot, but more would be welcome.

I used the supplied rear bushings, just cut them down to fit, they fit well now. No noise, good response.
Old 06-30-13, 09:37 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

thanks for the feedback...
Old 07-01-13, 08:12 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

It definitely is a nice improvement, well worth the $129. There is probably no cheaper handling improvement per dollar you can do to your GS.

I like the balance with the rear bar only right now. You don't have that feel that the back end rolls over somewhat abruptly in hard cornering. Hard to explain, but you guys who drive corners hard know what I mean. You are going thru a corner and when you get to the apex, right about then, the highest load on the car in the turn, there just isn't anymore bar or spring left to keep the car flat and it overcomes it and rolls even more suddenly. It loses its composure in the corner. It doesn't do that now with the new rear bar.

Yes, these bars (at least the rear) are what Lexus should have done from the factory.

I'll put the front on soon as I get some PB Blaster in there to soak and try to get the bolts loosened up.
Old 07-01-13, 02:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
It definitely is a nice improvement, well worth the $129. There is probably no cheaper handling improvement per dollar you can do to your GS.

I like the balance with the rear bar only right now. You don't have that feel that the back end rolls over somewhat abruptly in hard cornering. Hard to explain, but you guys who drive corners hard know what I mean. You are going thru a corner and when you get to the apex, right about then, the highest load on the car in the turn, there just isn't anymore bar or spring left to keep the car flat and it overcomes it and rolls even more suddenly. It loses its composure in the corner. It doesn't do that now with the new rear bar.

Yes, these bars (at least the rear) are what Lexus should have done from the factory.

I'll put the front on soon as I get some PB Blaster in there to soak and try to get the bolts loosened up.
i actually thought i was going to break the bolts when installed the poly front sway bushings they were so tight and of course 13 years old.
Old 07-01-13, 02:52 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback RamAir...are you on OEM suspension or??
Old 07-01-13, 02:58 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Yes, OEM suspension. New lower balljoints, but else pretty much stock and stock ride height with OEM chrome 7 spoke 17". This is my daily driver, so I don't mess with it much.
Old 07-04-13, 09:02 AM
Lexicious
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sold I bought tanabe sway bars for my 97 TT Supra handling improved, but where solid,huge,and heavy. Nice that these help and are hollow to save weight
Old 07-04-13, 09:18 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I've never regretted aftermarket bars, it's a wonderful to have improved handling.
Old 07-04-13, 08:24 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm tempted to buy now.. thanks for the review.
Old 07-15-13, 07:34 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Dang, what a difference these sways make! Got them on ebay for $119. I just installed them today, front and rear. I installed prothane poly bushings on my OEM bars a month or so ago and liked the difference they made over the worn original bushings.

I used the prothane poly bushings with these bars instead of the rubber ones provided. The front prothane bushing went right in, but the rears were modified to fit the 20mm rear bar. Ended up enlarging the bar hole and shortening the bushing since they sit next to the 90 degree bend in the bar and didn't fit. I also had to grind down a part of the lip on the rear bushing brackets to clear due to the increased bar diameter. I'm not sure how RamAir got away with not doing that. Inside corner of bar would make contact with the bracket when tightened down.

I am on OEM shocks/springs and finally like the way the car handles. Steering response is more sensitive and accurate, body roll is significantly reduced and cornering is constant and predictable.

I haven't put many miles on, but the only negative I can sense is that the steering feels heavier at low speeds. It's always been heavy, but the bars seemed to increase that slightly.
Old 07-15-13, 10:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Dang, what a difference these sways make! Got them on ebay for $119. I just installed them today, front and rear. I installed prothane poly bushings on my OEM bars a month or so ago and liked the difference they made over the worn original bushings.

I used the prothane poly bushings with these bars instead of the rubber ones provided. The front prothane bushing went right in, but the rears were modified to fit the 20mm rear bar. Ended up enlarging the bar hole and shortening the bushing since they sit next to the 90 degree bend in the bar and didn't fit. I also had to grind down a part of the lip on the rear bushing brackets to clear due to the increased bar diameter. I'm not sure how RamAir got away with not doing that. Inside corner of bar would make contact with the bracket when tightened down.

I am on OEM shocks/springs and finally like the way the car handles. Steering response is more sensitive and accurate, body roll is significantly reduced and cornering is constant and predictable.

I haven't put many miles on, but the only negative I can sense is that the steering feels heavier at low speeds. It's always been heavy, but the bars seemed to increase that slightly.
i noticed they dropped the price a few weeks back... So you reused the front poly bushings on the new front sway bar? How was the install? thanks for the feedback...

I'm using The Daizen poly front bushings. Will these fit the new bar or do i need new ones since the bar is thicker? Please provide a link.. Thanks
Old 07-16-13, 07:53 AM
pdxgs
Driver

The bushings I used were Prothane 181123 & 181124. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...xus+GS400+1998

The front OEM bar is 28.5mm and the EMUSA bar is 30mm. The front bushings were a breeze, no modifications necessary. The rear bushings/brackets need modded since the EMUSA bar is 6mm larger than OEM.

EMUSA isn't exactly known for quality parts, but these are basic bars and 1/5th the price of TRD's.

Last edited by pdxgs; 07-16-13 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

The bushings I used were Prothane 181123 & 181124. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...xus+GS400+1998

The front OEM bar is 28.5mm and the EMUSA bar is 30mm. The front bushings were a breeze, no modifications necessary. The rear bushings/brackets need modded since the EMUSA bar is 6mm larger than OEM.

EMUSA isn't exactly known for quality parts, but these are basic bars and 1/5th the price of TRD's.
i have Prothane rear bushings but for stock bar... I'll have to check the part numbers..

Thanks again for the link... was the front bar easy to install...
Old 07-17-13, 08:45 AM
pdxgs
Driver

The front bar was easy, no issues.

The rear took some time because of the bushing/bracket mods needed. When installing the rear bar I would suggest connecting the endlinks before tightening down the bushing brackets. Makes it easier to line everything up properly.

The rear bar makes the biggest improvement in handling (I installed the rear first and test drove). The front seemed lacking after installing the rear. After installing the front it balanced things out nicely.
Old 07-17-13, 08:57 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

The front bar was easy, no issues.

The rear took some time because of the bushing/bracket mods needed. When installing the rear bar I would suggest connecting the endlinks before tightening down the bushing brackets. Makes it easier to line everything up properly.

The rear bar makes the biggest improvement in handling (I installed the rear first and test drove). The front seemed lacking after installing the rear. After installing the front it balanced things out nicely.
when installing the front unbolt the brackets first then the endlinks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sway bar kit