Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Has this happend with your Tein HAs ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 03:25 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has this happend with your Tein HAs ?

Guys, I've had my HAs installed for about 3 months now. I've put about 5000 miles on them already. I have about 2 finger gap in the front and a 1 finger gap in the rear. A few weeks back, I noticed that the left rear wheel has become tucked into the wheel well so from the back, my car looks like it's tilted to the left. I notice the right front was no longer a 2 finger gap but only a gap of about a fraction of an inch. I figured it could be that the springs are breaking in that causes the sagging so I raised just reraised the left rear and front right of the car. It's been ok for a few weeks now but yesterday I noticed that the left rear has been lowered again by another half inch or so.

Is this normal at all? What could be the problem here. I double checked to see if I have locked the ring that lockes the raising and lowering mechanism (sorry..i don't know what those are called) and they're on very very tight. I don't have anything heavy in trunk that could cause that much sagging. I live in the bay area and now I'm in LA so I don't have my tools with me to reraise the car. I'm going to head out to vegas on new years so it'll be going through another 500 or so miles round trip. Would there be any danger in this? The only thing I can think of is that the springs are faulty but I figure with Teins you can't really go wrong...

Any help appreciated..
thanks
Andrew
Old 12-30-02, 03:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok to make you feel better, i have the HA too, also lives in san jose, and my rear left is lower than rear right, and front right is lower than front left. i don't know why too. i am very sure the number of coils are the same left and right.

that's very weird indeed, i just noticed it one day and didn't really see it when i first installed. i have no idea why at all

and also, if you look at the rear left before and after you fill up the tank with gas, it's some difference too
Old 12-30-02, 07:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all springs will "settle"...that's why when you first set up your coilovers, you should set them about 1/4" to 1/2" HIGHER than you want it...no such luck with just a spring package...you're stuck with wherever it ends up...

As for the left right difference, it's probably one of these three things...

1) The springs weren't set perfectly even when you first got 'em....just adjust 'em..

2) The springs "settled" at a different rate...easily adjustable like above...

3) Your spring adjustments might have come up loose and just adjusted itself (though this would not likely happen if they were locked up correctly)
Old 01-02-03, 06:48 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

thanks guys,
that makes me feel better...talk about settling at a different rate...the difference between the sagged ones are probably a 1.5 inch difference..i mean..the tires were tucked quite a bit....i can't imagine getting just springs and not coilovers....w/out the ability to adjust the height, if this happend with the regular shock/spring combo then the car will look very very funny...
Old 01-02-03, 07:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't think it's an install issue coz' i already have 2 other people checking the installation and they are correct. plus i don't hear anything weird or special when driving too. alignment is totally within spec and the car doesn't pull either right or left. i guess it's just something about the HA. and the fact that we both have the same sack on the same sides (front and rear) kinda proves that too.

only thing is, i don't think my difference left and right is that much though. for my front, left and right are about 1/2 finger difference, so it's about quarter inch. for the rear, with full tank of gas it's 1 finger, so it's like 1/2 inch. when it's almost empty it gets better.

1 1/2 inch is way off, you sure that's the case? the car will definitely look badly tilted that way.
Old 01-02-03, 07:55 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

i'm positive about the 1.5 inch...from the back..it really looked bad...the car looked like someone a bit too heavy was sitting in the left rear side

i have the HAs installed at the same place you do so i think they know what they're doing...
Old 01-02-03, 08:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by amlin423
i'm positive about the 1.5 inch...from the back..it really looked bad...the car looked like someone a bit too heavy was sitting in the left rear side

i have the HAs installed at the same place you do so i think they know what they're doing...
you installed it at impex too? umm.... that's really weird man