Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC coilover owners chime in

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 05:35 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC coilover owners chime in

whats up fellas. im going to be placing an order for a set of bc's for my gs this weekend. im just trying to figure out the best spring rate for what i want. most people i know who have them went with the 10/8 and they say it is way to soft to ride low on. these are going on my daily/ soon to be family car so i want to be low but comfortable. thanks
Old 03-29-13, 05:44 AM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe I've seen people running 14/12 swift springs. Don't quote me on it hopefully some guys running different set ups will chime in.
Old 03-29-13, 05:57 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

yea ive seen those also. i was leaning towards the 14/12 setup or atleast a 12/10 setup before i pull the trigger. i just want to see if the 14/12 is to rough for a daily when you will have a baby seat in the back for the future.
Old 03-29-13, 08:18 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Running 14/12 extreme drop kit with settings 18/15

Love it.
Old 03-29-13, 08:59 AM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is running the out of the box spring rates and I love it. 8 clicks from full soft when it's me or me and my daughter. 18 clicks from full soft when I have the car loaded down with more than 1 other person/luggage(rear fenders rub on hard dips). The ride on my soft setting is really nice and comfortable. On the stiff setting it's pretty rough/firm but still bearable. Had KSport on a previous car and even on full soft they rode like complete crap.

Regards,
Robert
Old 03-29-13, 09:52 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm on Megan LP 10/8 and they are just too soft. Don't get me wrong, the ride quality is just great but when I push it, I wish they were a little stiffer.

If I could do it again, I would go 12/10 at least and make sure the particular damper I am using is set up to handle it.
Old 03-29-13, 10:57 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really comes down to what you want to do to your car. Are you going for flush, tucking, moderately lowered ect. If your only going moderately low, most "out of the box" coilovers ride good to be honest. I've had megans, tein CS's, BC, and most recently got a new set of BC coilovers with extreme drop kit and swift springs 18/16.
Old 03-29-13, 02:18 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

extreme drop kit with 16-14.
Old 03-29-13, 02:49 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

If you're going to tuck the wheel, get the stiffer spring rates. But I see you live in NJ and the car is your daily. I live in NY and my car is also my daily with my two kids and wife. I did a lot of playing around and I'm at my perfect height right now is with less than two finger gaps. And it's a good height for when I have some weight in the trunk. Coils hold up really good and are really comfortable. My settings are at 18(clockwise). If you go too too, the car will get uncomfortable because the suspension doesn't get to do its job. Don't listen to these guys from CA, they don't know our roads(no disrespect meant fellas). If i lived out there or in FL, my **** would be slammed. It took me over 6 months to get it right with lowering and raising the car to get that perfect ride quality, so im glad i can share this information. The higher you go, the more comfortable it will be due to suspension travel.
Old 03-29-13, 02:58 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^ this, all depends on how low you plan to go and what type of roads you have to deal with. Im still playing around with my suspension settings, I just lowered it a bit more few weeks ago and softened them a few clicks yesterday.
Old 03-29-13, 03:45 PM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

I live in Vegas and from my experience cali roads aren't smooth at all lol. I was under the impression this was general knowledge. Maybe we're just spoiled in LV
Old 03-29-13, 06:54 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sLOWaristo
I live in Vegas and from my experience cali roads aren't smooth at all lol. I was under the impression this was general knowledge. Maybe we're just spoiled in LV
I hope you never have to drive to the NE, you might get a heart attack, lol. I don't know what I would do if we had roads like you guys, probably get my license revoked for speeding all the time.
Old 03-29-13, 07:10 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Our roads aren't as awesome as people think they are. Not going to lie tho, They finally started fixing alot of the roads. But go to San Fran and LA and kiss your lip goodbye. Isn't a picnic tho that's for sure..
Old 03-30-13, 05:47 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

Jersey roads aren't too bad. We have a few sucky ones but nothing too crazy like ny. I want to be able to go low when I go to shows and stuff and still be comfortable. I'm gonna civic circuit motor sports a calland see what tthey recommend.
Old 04-01-13, 09:41 AM
kamikaze04
Driver

Like everyone is saying, depending on what you want, wheel setup, how low you want to go, fender mods, and camber kits. I bought my as 10/8 and they were comfortable until I wanted to go lower. When I had my 20s, my front was scrubbing the wheel liner and the fenders when I make a u-turn. So I had to get them rolled. Then when I bought my 19s, 19x9.5 +12 and 19x11 +15. With my fronts when I had 225/35/19, they were fine no rubbing at all. Sitting at -4 all the way around(looks bada$$ but i was going thru tires every 10000 miles). But now that I have 235/35/19 with upper control arm camber and rear camber kits, my fenders rub on the outer wall of the tires. So I need to re-roll with a slight fender pull. If my bcrs were a tad but stiffer then i would not have to deal with all this rubbing issues. And my car is sitting about less than 2 inches off the ground from the bottom the the TTE lip.

If I could do this all over again, I would go with AIR!!! You would never have to worry about scrubbing issues, take the time to jack up the car to lower your car, or not being able to clear certain obstacles when you are out and about. Just with a simple button, *pshh pshh* KAPOOYA!! That's just me. Take your time and think about what you want, how low you would like to go, wheel setup, etc. Good luck

Quick Reply: BC coilover owners chime in