Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A Powere by Max coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 02:09 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post A Powere by Max coilover review

This is a review for future reference to all future members and existing ones who may ever consider these coil overs. I'll break it up into categories and simply express my experience and opinion to each one.

Highway Driving: Highway driving is incredible. The car feels solid and stuck to the ground. I will admit that it can be a bit bouncy if you hit what I'll call a "short frequency styled wave dips" in the road...you will then feel what I mean by stuck to the ground. At high speed, I did a little switch from lane to lane as quickly and tightly as I could manage with NO TRAFFIC around for a total of about 8 lane switches back to back and it feels awesome. No body lean what so ever. On underhighway style turn arounds, again it sticks to the ground and does not lean at all.

City Driving: Here is where it mainly depends on where you live and what roads your daily commute involve. Where I am in Texas, the roads are great but occasionally, I'll get a strip of road thats is littered with crappy pothole repairs and cracked cement. Overall it isnt that bad, but you do want to slow down for them or it can be a little jarring to the person who doesn't like to hear their car rub. Slow down for dips too...remember the bounciness. Stopping and taking off feels a lot tighter too. There wont be as much sink in the rear if you gun it and it will feel like more of a solid movement.

Parking lots-Entrances-Exits-Speedbumps: Some extreme entrances and exits like those for some apartments that have a "V" shaped dip, can be crappy feeling if you take it fast, so slow down. Other than that it will handle well on any type of smoothed entrance/exit as long as it does not have a huge rounded curb(in which case slow down). Speed bumps you must take slow and at an angle if you drop yourself real low. I always take these things slow even before I was dropped, so this category does not really bother me much.

UserFriendliness: They are so easy to adjust so do not worry about that. Simply unlock the top and bottom lock rings and the entire unit twists and lows or raises itself with the turn of your supplied wrenches.

Install: The install was honestly very easy. The only reason it took me 3 days was because I kept having to put the car back together to pick up a tool I was missing and I had classes 4 times a day at different times. Other than that, no air tools required, although I will say that it will make your job a bit easier as long as you know what you're doing with it. Other than that a simple double up on wrenches or using a breaker bar will suffice. I recommend soaking EVERYTHING in WD-40 the day before and this will make it all like butter I promise you that. A spring compressor should be kept near incase your rears are heavily preloaded like mine were. Other than that the fronts slide out no problem. A helper is a good thing to have as well, especially one who knows cars.

Recommendations: I highly recommend purchasing new swaybar endlinks as in the front mine completely went to crap and I had the worst rattle noise problem ever. Finally got it taken care of so now I'm writing this with confidence that the coil overs are great.

Stories I've heard are that even at the max height setting, they "SLAM"...but this may not be the case anymore because at max height mine basically match KYB-GR2's with stock springs in the rear and even the front. I have mine on the stiffest setting because I like it. I have not tried the softer setting and probably never will.

Buy with confidence from Powered By Max people. They are damn good coils and a great plus is how freaking sexy they looks.

Here is how my Bambi is sitting as I type this. If I am not mistaken, the rears are at 93mm from bottom to top lock rings and the fronts are at 85mm from bottom to top lock rings.

Hope this helped and continues to help any current and all future members.

Best,
Carlos

Edit: Can somebody fix the title? I missed the "d" on Powered by Max. Thanks mods.

Last edited by ashtray; 03-17-13 at 10:04 AM. Reason: title change
Old 03-16-13, 02:22 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Reserved for whenever I drop the front more. I intend to finished the wireharness relocation so this will be a little update post.
Old 03-16-13, 03:27 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you forgot the "D" in "Powered", do you plan on giving that to us later..... (no homo)

Thanks for the review though! I'm going to be selling my EZ Streets for some PBM's or Fortune Auto 510 coils!
Old 03-16-13, 03:40 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Lol on the "D" haha. Thank you for liking the review. It's just a little something for the members.
Old 03-16-13, 08:07 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Stories I've heard are that even at the max height setting, they "SLAM"...but this may not be the case anymore because at max height mine basically match KYB-GR2's with stock springs in the rear and even the front. I have mine on the stiffest setting because I like it. I have not tried the softer setting and probably never will.
I agree with everything said. I was one of the people though who had the "shorter" damper experience. PBM admitted in using a shorter damper than the usual when I bought mine, which caused it to not have enough option of higher height adjustment. According to them they thought people wanted more low so they decided to try out shorter damper without actual testing. It was all corrected and returned to how it really was after that though. Even a friend, who actually convinced me to get PBM's, and have had them for a couple of years before I bought mine last year was so surprised of how short my PBM's was out of the box.

STILL, PBM's is best bang for the buck in my own honest opinion. It's not that harsh in long drives, but like you said it is bouncy when going over short wave-like parts of the freeway. I (also) have always avoided or drive carefully when going over dips, speed bumps and nasty parts of the roads even before switching to PBM's so it doesn't really bother me, plus I have 19's, so I also take care of them. And mine is slammed compared to yours, plus a daily family car too. The aesthetic appearance of it is already enough to convince you, but I have crazy plans of stripping the gold anodized color of it and getting the aluminum polished and get the springs chrome dipped. I did say crazy plans right?
Old 03-16-13, 08:18 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Hah thanks for the input KingPhilip glad someone agreed with me so far. Mine is also daily minus the family lol
Old 03-17-13, 12:41 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the best. I'm really happy someone else loves these coils.
Old 03-17-13, 03:49 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

always heard good thing about this brand of coilover
Old 03-18-13, 06:03 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

I love my PBM's.
Old 05-06-13, 07:28 AM
slidewaysc
Rookie

any of you getting wheel bite at all? I set mine up so that there is about an inch of damper threaded into my sleeve. I have about an inch between my tire and my fender well (that is bare fender well, no lining and relocated harness) and it hits going over bumps. What did you do to avoid this issue. I thought that the stiff dampening would reduce this travel, but it still seems to scrape.
Old 05-06-13, 10:51 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review.

Anyone here with road racing/track days experiences with this coilover?
Old 05-09-13, 10:01 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track use

no experience with PBM's here but Powered by max did design their coilovers for drift spec etc.
Old 05-09-13, 11:58 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

does anyone have pics of their car slammed on 18's on PBM's? I have been searching and searching but i can barely find any.
Old 05-09-13, 12:09 PM
Davidddd
Pole Position

Old 08-18-14, 07:41 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

any updates?