Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who makes front and rear BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 01:40 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
What's the reason for not being a fan of Futura? You know the use the same supplier as 326 Power and also Stoptech uses a one of their old suppliers.

Just a fact to throw out there...
oh i have a good reason, i'll tell you about it on the phone.... and negative sir stoptech is made in house

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Brian,
tried to help you on the StopTech info, but we could barely get support from them to sell more 4 corner BBK after they released that first 4 corner set to my buddy way back when.
trust me i understand, a lot of people always claim they gonna buy them and then when a item comes out they are no place around but their are several Stoptech kits out there. i know a member with one. i want to have the rear bracket fabbed up for me but so far no dice
Old 03-22-13, 01:42 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I USED to have Rotoras on my car. While it was decent, I just didn't trust it for severe duty high speed braking or constant track duty braking. All the Taiwan manufacturer brands such as Ksport , Rotora, D2 racing, and whatever else are what I would use if I wanted the car just to look cool. I believe Futura brakes is manufactured in the same factories as those brands as well. Then again, most people here buy the brakes to look cool and I bet there probably is nobody on here that uses their brakes as hard as I do. If you ever look at my cars parked, they all have a blueish heat deposit rings on the rotors. I can make it up to 180mph within a few seconds, and I need the brakes to lug me back down instantly. On track day events, it's a serious punishment on the brakes as well. I replace my BBK rotors about every year because I run them so hard that they actually develop cracks in the rotors!

One of the first reasons why I wouldn't trust the cheaper brand brakes on my car is just due to balance. Many of those companies use the same exact caliper configuration on the front and rear. If you know anything about brakes, then you know that the front brakes do like 75%+ of the braking on a car. They use the same size pistons in the front and rear kits on the cheaper brands. This causes an imbalance of brake force and will cause the rear of the car to start sliding out. I actually spun out a few times at high speed when I had my Rotora brakes because of this. The front and rear calipers on those have the same sized pistons, whereas on my Stoptech kit the rear caliper has smaller pistons in the rear brakes.

The second reason is material choice and structural integrity. I really like the Stoptech brakes because they have a structural bolt in bridge in the middle of the calipers. This give them incredible rigidity to prevent caliper flexing under heavy loads. Their brakes are also race tested by race teams on many many 24hour endurance races. They fine tune their caliper alloy and rotor alloy to be able to withstand the constant heat abuse of racing conditions.

The third reason is pad selection and replacement parts. On the Stoptech and Brembo brakes I run, you literally have about 20-30 different pad compounds you can pick from. If it's just a street duty car with light track use, then you can use the Stoptech street/light track duty pads and they are only like $75! That's what I use on all my cars with BBK. However I will swap pads out when I goto a track day event that requires higher brake duty. Then if your rotors or any hardware or seals needs replacing, getting your hands on replacement parts is pretty easy for both Brembo and Stoptech. FYI: rotor hats and rotor rings are interchangeable on these 2 brands.

Another good brand I have used in the past is Endless. Great for high speed track use as well, but the consumables are stupid expensive! I kid you not, the pads and rotors are all like 2-3x the cost of Brembo or Stoptech!

I currently have a set of Stoptech all around 6piston front / 4 piston rear on my SportDesign GS. On my white GS it will have Brembo GT series all around. My IS300 is getting a set of Brembo GT as well since I found one on the cheap

Anyways, enough rambling on brakes. So it comes down to this. If you just run brakes to look cool, no offense is like 95%+ of you guys here. Then you will be fine with the cheaper brands. If you really need good brakes, then don't stray far from the top name brands that are ACTUALLY used on real race cars. Brembo, Stoptech, AP, Endless, and I'm probably missing a few. But you should get the point.
Old 03-22-13, 02:05 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I USED

Anyways, enough rambling on brakes. So it comes down to this. If you just run brakes to look cool, no offense is like 95%+ of you guys here. Then you will be fine with the cheaper brands. If you really need good brakes, then don't stray far from the top name brands that are ACTUALLY used on real race cars. Brembo, Stoptech, AP, Endless, and I'm probably missing a few. But you should get the point.
Thanks for the Honorable Mention of AP in your comments Jeff. I held my breath for a moment as I read through your last comment of recommended brakes .

Though I don't drive my car as intense as you, I concur with your comments. Most brakes out there are just for looks. Stop Tech was my first choice and as mentioned at the time, Stop Tech wasn't too helpful with getting me a 4 corner solution. I will mention that my Bud with the 4 corner Stop Tech DID have equal size external dimension of calipers/rotors front and rear. As I questioned that to Stop Tech, they did respond that the caliper size was the same, however the piston size was much smaller, hence they deemed it a balanced set up.

In the end , the set up "looked" great, however from a cost perspective, it was overkill and StopTech noted at the time that a much smaller rear caliper/rotor would be fine and that a production version would be in the works.

As Brian commented, I too sensed that there was no real market and I assume Stop Tech canned the project.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-22-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 02:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the Honorable Mention of AP in your comments Jeff. I held my breath for a moment as I read through your last comment of recommended brakes .

Though I don't drive my car as intense as you, I concur with your comments. Most brakes out there are just for looks. Stop Tech was my first choice and as mentioned at the time, Stop Tech wasn't too helpful with getting me a 4 corner solution. I will mention that my Bud with the 4 corner Stop Tech DID have equal size external dimension of calipers/rotors front and rear. As I questioned that to Stop Tech, they did respond that the caliper size was the same, however the piston size was much smaller, hence they deemed it a balanced set up.

In the end , the set up "looked" great, however from a cost perspective, it was overkill and StopTech noted at the time that a much smaller rear caliper/rotor would be fine and that a production version would be in the works.

As Brian commented, I too sensed that there was no real market and I assume Stop Tech canned the project.
thats true....the guys i know who have the stoptech kit have the same ST40 355mm kit with a 44mm piston i have on my fronts but the rears although they are a ST40 kit also though the fronts would use a 44mm piston and the rears use a 38mm or 40mm piston. i know back in the honda days we would change out the brake booster to accommodate the brake biases from adding a rear disc setup but it seems everyone with a stoptech kit has a matching set with different sized calipers as you said also. another concern is having a rear rotor to hold our rear brake cable.

i would be happy to install some ST-41 or some ST-22 rear calipers but getting the bracket made for a long time was a issue.....now finding some decent priced calipers to fab a bracket for are ridiculously expensive. you used to be able to get the ST-22 kti off the EVO for cheap but not anymore

i wonder if the Stoptech SC430 rear kit is a direct bolt on and still available.....if not i guess the best way would be to buy a Supra rear kit and have a bracket fabricated. (i wish the member i know with the F/R kit would help us out and send one to a machine shop to have a bracket made, that would be 80% of the issue)

i talked to a vice president of stop tech and either he lied to me that they cant make the brackets for the rears as they dont have the measurements or they just didnt save them as there was no interest in the mass market.....even if the interest wasnt there atm you would think they still would have the measurements/CAD drawings
Old 03-22-13, 02:35 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj

i talked to a vice president of stop tech and either he lied to me that they cant make the brackets for the rears as they dont have the measurements or they just didnt save them as there was no interest in the mass market.....even if the interest wasnt there atm you would think they still would have the measurements/CAD drawings

Here's some very rare photos of redgs4's 4 corner. I measured his bracket to get a reference of how I was going to design my AP brackets.

If he had not sold his car, I would of still been able to measure it out for duplication, but then again you would be challenged with finding that same caliper with proper piston size.

As for StopTech lying, it has been so long that who knows if that VP or the old techs were even around back when redgs4 purchased these from StopTech.

Old 03-22-13, 02:54 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Here's some very rare photos of redgs4's 4 corner. I measured his bracket to get a reference of how I was going to design my AP brackets.

If he had not sold his car, I would of still been able to measure it out for duplication, but then again you would be challenged with finding that same caliper with proper piston size.

As for StopTech lying, it has been so long that who knows if that VP or the old techs were even around back when redgs4 purchased these from StopTech.

oh i talked to the guy who has his car

http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/s...Build&p=486115

he wouldn't sell them to me wonder if i could get him to get us measurements for a bracket, my ? is what do to about the rear rotor and the brake cable. i have some pics but i dont know if the owner wants me to post them

some old threads

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...orner-bbk.html

and the SC430 kit

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...alled-wow.html
Old 03-22-13, 02:56 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lot's of good information guys. Would the rear bracket from my rotora rear bbk be of any help to anyone? Would the rear bracket from a rotora brake work for another brand caliper?
Old 03-22-13, 03:47 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 03-22-13, 04:03 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I currently have a set of F-Sport brakes from a 3GS that I just picked up a week ago. Rear brackets are from a SC430. Direct bolt on for 2GS. You need to either have the bracket machined down, or find the correct hat offset to fit the rotor centered in between the caliper. I've done this for years to get ST40 to fit on the rears.
Old 03-23-13, 06:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you guys feel about Wilwood?
Old 03-24-13, 10:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LALEX1
Lot's of good information guys. Would the rear bracket from my rotora rear bbk be of any help to anyone? Would the rear bracket from a rotora brake work for another brand caliper?
its possible Robert. but unlikely they will work.....worth taking the measurements though. how does the rear brake cable mount to the rotors?

Originally Posted by waijai
i love Thomas's car and his BBK look good

I currently have a set of F-Sport brakes from a 3GS that I just picked up a week ago. Rear brackets are from a SC430. Direct bolt on for 2GS. You need to either have the bracket machined down, or find the correct hat offset to fit the rotor centered in between the caliper. I've done this for years to get ST40 to fit on the rears.
why would we need to have the bracket machines down to the fit the SC430 bracket if they are a direct fit to the 2nd gen gs? which ST40 kit were you using? i mean do you recall what piston size you were using

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
What do you guys feel about Wilwood?
wilwood is ok, not my preference but they ok
Old 03-24-13, 10:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

The SC430 bracket will bolt onto the mounting holes on the 2GS using a ST40 caliper. You can keep the bracket unmodified if you get the correct offset rotor hat from Stoptech. I used a rotor hat and 355mm rotor from a Supra TT rear kit. So I had to machine down the bracket by about 1.5mm to get the rotor centered inside the caliper. If you can get the PN from Stoptech for the center hat that is 1.5mm lower offset then you will not need to mod the caliper.
Old 03-25-13, 07:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

The SC430 bracket will bolt onto the mounting holes on the 2GS using a ST40 caliper. You can keep the bracket unmodified if you get the correct offset rotor hat from Stoptech. I used a rotor hat and 355mm rotor from a Supra TT rear kit. So I had to machine down the bracket by about 1.5mm to get the rotor centered inside the caliper. If you can get the PN from Stoptech for the center hat that is 1.5mm lower offset then you will not need to mod the caliper.
ah, i gotcha thanks Jeff. i assume the Supra TT has a piece to mount our rear brake line? i sent you a email also.....

Last edited by sakataj; 03-25-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 08:08 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lets bring this topic back to life with one question from me.

i noticed everyone upgrades the calipers pads lines and rotors but what about the brake master cylinder? my question is would you have to replace that also?
Old 04-09-13, 09:15 AM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use CAUTION when dealing with Rotora....I've personally had some major problems with several of there kits and there customer service is the worst to say the least.....pm me if you need to hear more.

Quick Reply: Who makes front and rear BBK?