Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who makes front and rear BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 08:13 AM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RMMGS4- what AP calipers are those? What size wheels are necessary to fit those AP brakes?
Old 04-10-13, 03:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
RMMGS4- what AP calipers are those? What size wheels are necessary to fit those AP brakes?
Go to the Stillen Website. The brakes I ordered are for the 98 Supra TT. You should find wheel specs there as well. Do note that you need my custom rear bracket to fit.
Old 04-10-13, 08:19 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

THey show two kits, one with 13.5" front rotors and the other with 14.25" rotors. Your thread says 355mm which would be a 14.0" rotor. They do not say which AP caliper they are using. Did the pistons in your calipers have dust boots? For wheel fitment all they say is "Many kits require 17" wheels or larger with sufficient spoke clearance."
Old 04-10-13, 09:17 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see anyone mention Arizona performance kit. I've purchased a few billet goodies from them. Nice stuff. I built my own front kit with 100% wilwood parts, as I've used them successfully for over a decade. I like builing all custom parts... but I'm looking at the azperformance kit for the rear...
Old 04-11-13, 10:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I currently have a set of F-Sport brakes from a 3GS that I just picked up a week ago. Rear brackets are from a SC430. Direct bolt on for 2GS. You need to either have the bracket machined down, or find the correct hat offset to fit the rotor centered in between the caliper. I've done this for years to get ST40 to fit on the rears.
The SC430 bracket will bolt onto the mounting holes on the 2GS using a ST40 caliper. You can keep the bracket unmodified if you get the correct offset rotor hat from Stoptech. I used a rotor hat and 355mm rotor from a Supra TT rear kit. So I had to machine down the bracket by about 1.5mm to get the rotor centered inside the caliper. If you can get the PN from Stoptech for the center hat that is 1.5mm lower offset then you will not need to mod the caliper.

this seems like the easiest way to get a rear Jeff but i was searching for supra rears and i decided to call tech support at Stoptech for ****s and giggles (even though i have talked to them many times)but this time i found a very helpful guy named Eric.

what you advised me to do was to use a SC430 rear OEM caliper bracket to bolt to the GS (removing the the GS bracket).....and then order a rear Supra kit and it will bolt on (i may have to mill or machine the bracket down.i originally called under a pretense of looking for a Supra rear kit but eventually told him what i really was gonna Frankenstein and he informed me of the SC430 kit (if the SC430 bracket would fit on a 2nd gen gs wouldnt the SC430 kit bolt directly on)? i always knew about the SC430 kit,but he quickly informed that it was available ONLY as a F/R kit (which is why i have always passed on it, since i already have a ST40 kit) i dont wanna have to resell a front kit

now..........here is where it gets interesting (i have always said sometimes the hunt for parts is better than getting the parts lol). first off Jeff, let me ask you which center hat i should be getting a PN for (you said that is 1.5mm lower offset) is this off a Supra, a SC430 or do you mean ANY rotor hat that will bolt to these rotors. Eric informed me that the SC430 used different rotors/hats/calipers and asked me which ones i needed/wanted. he also stated that the SC430 kit uses a different rear piston kit to maintain the efficient (safe) nraking bias he says the supra uses a 3different one also . i kindly asked for both sets of PN's to compare them and to help myself/others try and piece a kit together, i will post them up here if he actually sends them to me if not i will call them back or email them back. if he sends them to me i will post him this link and maybe we can get Stoptech directly involved in this hunt (dont hold your breath but it is possible)

when you email me the part # for the SC430 bracket i'll post it as its not listed on here

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2006.html

i could always email Darell @ Sewell and get it but if you have it i will wait on you

UPDATE from Eric @ Stoptech

"Here are the part numbers and list prices with 26-26mm calipers that you would want to use to maintain safe operation:

Supra:

36.857.7429 BRACKET $195.00 EACH
950.44506 SS Brake Line Kit $65.00
81.519.7312 SLOTTED ROTORS W/ HATS MOUNTED $1075.00/PAIR
172.43Z.ZM53 ST40/26-26/32M-BLACK $500.00
172.43Z.ZM54 ST40/26-26/32M-BLACK $500.00
309.06090 STOPTECH PERFORMANCE PADS $99.95

SC430:

36.517.7429 BRACKET $195.00 EACH
950.44503 SS Brake Line Kit $65.00
81.517.7312 SLOTTED ROTORS W/ HATS MOUNTED $1075.00/PAIR
172.43Z.ZM53 ST40/26-26/32M-BLACK $500.00
172.43Z.ZM54 ST40/26-26/32M-BLACK $500.00
309.06090 STOPTECH PERFORMANCE PADS $99.95

Let us know if you have any questions."

FIRST OFF thanks to him for helping so far, i did email him a link back and asked if he had time/wanted to to read over it to try and help us and either relay ot to me or to post directly since we will be buying stoptech gear it will generate sales for them either way so again thanks, second we all know prices vary and im sure those are MSRP prices so just take it with a grain of salt for you cheap people out there.

i dunno if you have a ST40 kit if you can rebuild to the lower pistons or not to make a rear kit. i JUST had my front kit rebuilt and my rear kit will be powder coated (if i keep the car) but Zekenhausen Racing's http://zeckhausen.com/ guy they recommended to me to powder coat who rebuilt/powder-coated mine said if they are new i wont have to rebuild the rears) his name is Mike Golding super nice guy and did GREAT work on mine, notice what he did to the brake lines/bolts to set it off. all i did was buy new bleeders, he bought whatever he needed to rebuild and powdercoat and it was a great price BTW

http://www.thepowdercoater.com
customerservice@thepowdercoater.com
Mobile:1 (678) 357-5844
Work Phone:
1 (888) 644-7221
Home address:
3787 Nina Court Loganville, GA United States 30052

mine

Last edited by sakataj; 04-12-13 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 11:21 AM
RMMGS4

THey show two kits, one with 13.5" front rotors and the other with 14.25" rotors. Your thread says 355mm which would be a 14.0" rotor. They do not say which AP caliper they are using. Did the pistons in your calipers have dust boots? For wheel fitment all they say is "Many kits require 17" wheels or larger with sufficient spoke clearance."
I ordered the AP0545R Front and AP0550SR rear kits. Their site layout & information has changed since I ordered the brakes, so I reported 355mm, because that was their advertised spec at that time, whether or not it was accurate, it is still the same PN that I ordered.

I'm not sure why you need to know AP caliper type and dust boot as I didn't have any need to know that info when I ordered. Those are questions that you can inquire from Stillen.

They used to have a downloadable PDF file to check for BBK clearance. 17" is the minimum diameter required, but that does not guarantee you will have adequate spoke clearance. You still need that template to see if it will clear the spoke design and offset. I'm on 20's, so again no concern or "Need to know" when I ordered.

Check with Stillen if that PDF file is available, as it was shown on their site back when I ordered it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-11-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 07:25 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

I ask because there are literally dozens of AP racing calipers available, many of which look alike. If you are interested, here is the recent list:

http://www.apracing.com/drawings/Ind...20Calipers.pdf

There are big differences in the price of their various calipers due to the way they are constructed, forged vs billet, designs that are more for track use vs street use (which is why I asked about dust boots, to perhaps get an indication that your setup uses a caliper from a certain set of their 6-piston options), etc. I would expect a certain level of caliper to be associated with a particular price. The AP street-kit options available for many cars are nothing like their full-on race calipers (can add thousands to a kit, and some designs do not use dust boots at all).

I can get the answers from the AP rep on the S2000 forum, I just thought you might know since it sounded like you went through a lot of trouble to get custom rear fitment that you likely paired to match the fronts.
Old 04-11-13, 11:00 PM
RMMGS4

I ask because there are literally dozens of AP racing calipers available, many of which look alike. If you are interested, here is the recent list:

http://www.apracing.com/drawings/Ind...20Calipers.pdf

There are big differences in the price of their various calipers due to the way they are constructed, forged vs billet, designs that are more for track use vs street use (which is why I asked about dust boots, to perhaps get an indication that your setup uses a caliper from a certain set of their 6-piston options), etc. I would expect a certain level of caliper to be associated with a particular price. The AP street-kit options available for many cars are nothing like their full-on race calipers (can add thousands to a kit, and some designs do not use dust boots at all).

I can get the answers from the AP rep on the S2000 forum, I just thought you might know since it sounded like you went through a lot of trouble to get custom rear fitment that you likely paired to match the fronts.
The trouble that I went to was in the design and fabrication of the rear mounting bracket. There was no research or guesswork for me regarding the caliper or rotor selection, because the Stillen site originally marketed the brakes as a 4 corner BBK for the Supra TT ( when paired with the larger front rotor diameter offering). At that time APRacing was one of the first brands of BBKs used by GS owners and at the time the first AP BBK used was the PN for the Supra TT. One of the first CL members also tracked his car with this front BBK set up with good feedback on it's performance (the smaller front rotor diameter offering combined with stock rears) The TT front brakes are bolt on, so again at that time NO ONE marketed a BBK specifically for the GS (circa 1998). For the rear TT brake set up, I extensively measured and found that the rear rotors, spacing, e-brake dimensions for the TT were identical to the GS stock brakes except for the bolt spacing for the caliper bracket. So yes I did a lot of research, but NO I did not need to pick a caliper type, rotor type since AP offered this as a "Balanced" set-up (larger front rotor dia 6 pot + rear 4 pot) for the TT that was advertised to be a suitable Track / street set-up. I trusted they did their homework, so with all the variations you mention as choices, that would be a mix n match scenario with no appied science behind it. I saw no reason for me to attempt to do better than what AP offered as a package, hence why I have no detailed knowlege of what particular caliper was used and why I suggested you advise with AP.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-11-13 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 06:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I saw no reason for me to attempt to do better than what AP offered as a package, hence why I have no detailed knowlege of what particular caliper was used and why I suggested you advise with AP.
lol ,

so another UPDATE from Eric @ Stoptech when i asked him about what hat Jeff might be talking about this was his response

"I'm not sure which hats are being referred to with the 1.5mm offset difference but I can provide the different in offset between the 2 rear hat options available.

The Supra rear hat has a thickness of 7mm at the hub which should match the stock rotor. The distance from the inner hub face to the rotor mounting flange is 27.25mm, see attached for clarification on the 2 dimensions I am referring to.

The SC430 hat has the same hat thickness at the hub of 7mm while the distance from the inner hub face to the rotor mounting flange is 23.29mm, 4mm shallower than the Supra hat."

and he attached this picture
Attached Thumbnails Who makes front and rear BBK?-hat-spec.jpg  
Old 04-22-13, 05:46 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

They don't call it "rotor offset" at stoptech. That's just a term I made to up make it easier for people to understand here. Since everyone knows all about wheel offset lol.

But I basically had a Supra TT rear BBK ST40. I didn't want to buy new center hats because they are very $$$ for the rear ones with the built in parking brake, so I just purchased the brackets for SC430 and milled them down to match the "rotor offset". I guess if you bought the full SC430 kit, then it technically should all bolt right up to the car. But then again, the guys at ST don't really have a way to confirm this. So the only way to find out is to buy the SC kit and see if it fits. All I know is that I can confirm that the TT rear setup will work wtih SC brackets if milled down 2mm.

If you need the ST parts let me know. I can get it to you for cheaper than anyone lol.
Old 05-08-13, 10:46 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

They don't call it "rotor offset" at stoptech. That's just a term I made to up make it easier for people to understand here. Since everyone knows all about wheel offset lol.

But I basically had a Supra TT rear BBK ST40. I didn't want to buy new center hats because they are very $$$ for the rear ones with the built in parking brake, so I just purchased the brackets for SC430 and milled them down to match the "rotor offset". I guess if you bought the full SC430 kit, then it technically should all bolt right up to the car. But then again, the guys at ST don't really have a way to confirm this. So the only way to find out is to buy the SC kit and see if it fits. All I know is that I can confirm that the TT rear setup will work wtih SC brackets if milled down 2mm.

If you need the ST parts let me know. I can get it to you for cheaper than anyone lol.
Jeff i got a question, i have a brother out here in NJ which wants my stoptech front and rear kit for his twin turbo monster supra ...(its nasty). i know the front bolt on no problem but the question is for the rear. Stoptech makes a front and rear kit for the supra so he can pick up the rear bracket but how about the rear rotor hat. Will a lexus gs rotor hat with the e-brake fit on supra rear or will he have to mill it down as well.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited by nar8ta; 05-08-13 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 11:24 PM
RMMGS4

TT rotors are a direct fit with ebrake. My rear rotors are from a TT application.
Old 05-09-13, 12:09 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
TT rotors are a direct fit with ebrake. My rear rotors are from a TT application.
glen are you sure....so he only need the bracket. My brake hat was made for a gs. This is great news.
Old 05-09-13, 09:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

how bout the part # for the SC430 bracket you said people would need?

Originally Posted by nar8ta
glen are you sure....so he only need the bracket. My brake hat was made for a gs. This is great news.
if he buys it, i will buy the GS bracket hat Lee
Old 05-09-13, 10:28 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Brian, I sent you an email.