Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC4 steering wheel needs to be turned alot to just move car a lil

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 03:21 PM
GregZ1969
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC4 steering wheel needs to be turned alot to just move car a lil

Sorry about the crazy thread title, but hard to explain this. Just bought this SC and its stock and very well kept. But recently the PO went cheap with repairs like everything is from Auto Zone and such. Anyway, when you steer the car to the left you have to turn the steering wheel much much farther than you should have to. Its much more noticable ( and scarier) at higher speeds. Then it doesnt just go back to top dead center right away, it takes about 5-10 more seconds of driving before it gradually works its way back to TDC. I know the PO changed the LCA's with aftermarket ones. I'm wondering if something in the labor of that had them disconnect something with the power steering and maybe they didnt pout it back together right? or didnt blled it correctly? or didnt do an alignment? I would presume he did an alignment because common sense says you should after a LCA change but that dont mean crap.Car tracks nice and straight tho. Any suggestions? TIA
Old 03-05-13, 04:51 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your power steering fluid-if there's any, check for leaks if none. Change steering rack bushings, definitely sure that's the culprit why it's not going back to dead center. Get an alignment-no matter what. Not all people know when and how to get an alignment.
Old 03-05-13, 08:34 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Yup I would probably check your steering rack bushings as well. Had something similar happen, where my steering wheel would be off quite a bit and the steering wouldn't be tight at all.
Old 03-05-13, 08:38 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^What's up Ray! Long time no see! LOL
Old 03-05-13, 10:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by GregZ1969
Sorry about the crazy thread title, but hard to explain this. Just bought this SC and its stock and very well kept. But recently the PO went cheap with repairs like everything is from Auto Zone and such. Anyway, when you steer the car to the left you have to turn the steering wheel much much farther than you should have to. Its much more noticable ( and scarier) at higher speeds. Then it doesnt just go back to top dead center right away, it takes about 5-10 more seconds of driving before it gradually works its way back to TDC. I know the PO changed the LCA's with aftermarket ones. I'm wondering if something in the labor of that had them disconnect something with the power steering and maybe they didnt pout it back together right? or didnt blled it correctly? or didnt do an alignment? I would presume he did an alignment because common sense says you should after a LCA change but that dont mean crap.Car tracks nice and straight tho. Any suggestions? TIA
Is the problem only turning left or in both directions?
Old 03-06-13, 04:32 AM
GregZ1969
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Is the problem only turning left or in both directions?
Seems to be only left but not 100% sure about that. I have't driven the car enough.

As far as the bushings, is that something I an check myself and if so, how?
Old 03-06-13, 05:08 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Seems to be only left but not 100% sure about that. I have't driven the car enough.

As far as the bushings, is that something I an check myself and if so, how?
I had a possibly similar problem. Our descriptions are somewhat different but you never know. Check THIS thread about the loose rack bolt just in case.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 03-06-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 06:11 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is that much swaying and reaction back to center, I would say the rack and pinion is shot or at least the inner and outer tie rods. It could be the bushings alone, but with these symptoms, leads me to believe something more serious.
Old 03-15-13, 07:01 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are no aftermarket LCA's for the SC400 (unless you spend 1000+ for custom job, or ikeya arms)
Old 03-17-13, 06:55 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like your steering rack bushings. There's no real way to tell (for the most part) if they are bad because only part of them are exposed, and to remove them you basically destroy them.

You can buy them for <$40 though and it's not a difficult job, so I'd do that first. To me, that sounds like your issue.