Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

who here tracks their SC? brakes?

Old 01-29-13, 09:43 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who here tracks their SC? brakes?

Hey Everyone,

i just picked up a 92 sc400 with a clean black body and from searching around the most common brake upgrade is either ls400 or supra tt calipers (at least on the front)

i used to have a 240sx with a built motor etc etc, i will post an official introduction in the proper place later.

My question is, as this is my more comfortable commuter car and also going to be a weekend warrior, who here tracks their sc300/400 and what brakes do you run? I don't mean autocross, i mean 20 minute or more circuit / grip sessions, as thats what i want to do with this after i swap a 1jz in it.

cheers
Marko

edit: probably should have posted in the brakes section that i just noticed..lol.

Last edited by estomax; 01-29-13 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 08:29 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know the same, I am also interested in tracking and upgrading my brakes...already have the 1J thoo lol
Old 01-31-13, 09:24 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Unless you're looking to spend a few grand on a big name kit ls400 fronts with sc400 rear and abs delete is the best way to go IMO. Supra are heavier and not worth the price difference if you ask me
Old 01-31-13, 08:03 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Pad selection is limited with the ls400 front calipers. But the price is right when compared to supraTT calipers. I think it would come down to your budget, but obviously the supraTT would be the way to go so you could have more pad options.
Old 01-31-13, 08:45 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

from looking at autozone/oreilly, supra calipers and LS400 calipers are the same price, so i don't see a huge price difference there. I guess i was hoping to see if others here have successfully done track sessions on their sc300 with LS400 aluminum calipers and some pads and not warped the calipers (in 300zx they switched from Aluminum to Iron for brake calipers in the early 90s for that reason). Or with any calipers and just have some input about this car on a track.

Marko
Old 01-31-13, 09:15 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Are you sure you are looking at supra TT fronts. I think you would be lucky to find a set for 5 or 600 used.
Old 02-01-13, 08:24 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...152042_0_5913_

does this look like the right part to you guys?
Old 02-01-13, 10:59 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Vwpride12
Pad selection is limited with the ls400 front calipers. But the price is right when compared to supraTT calipers. I think it would come down to your budget, but obviously the supraTT would be the way to go so you could have more pad options.
This is the biggest issue with the LS400 brakes. I currently have LS400 brakes in the front and the pad selection is horrible if you're an aggressive driver. All of the pads are meant to be quiet and low dusting (which is fine for a LS400 or daily driven SC). It is possible to have custom brake pads made to get a more aggressive pad, but I would say supra TT brakes are the way to go if you want to get track pads and 2 piece rotors.

Originally Posted by estomax
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...152042_0_5913_

does this look like the right part to you guys?
That is the right part, but the chances of them having the caliper in stock is really rare. They can rebuild it for you if you already have supra TT calipers.
Old 02-01-13, 11:44 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

i think (this is what i've done before) is that i can order these calipers, pay the core fee, and then take my old sc400 calipers in and get the core fee refunded. i will probably go this route, as i don't want to spend 1000+ on some wilwood or stoptech goodies.

where do you guys get stainless lines for supra brakes? are the lines the same as sc400 stock brake lines?

cheers,
Marko
Old 02-01-13, 01:12 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No experience to tell yet, but I am also planning on tracking my SC this year. I currently have stock TT fronts and stock SC rears. I will probably go wtih TT rears in the near future.
Old 02-01-13, 05:41 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Even with Supra TT brakes, you're going to experience brake fade with the SC on the circuit. If you are NA you could probably get away with Supra TT brakes and some aggressive pads. I wouldn't even consider LS brakes an option for what you are trying to do since there isn't many pad options for those calipers. For people who are just trying to get a 4 pot brake system on a street car, it's a great option. But I wouldn't say the same if you are planning on tracking your car.
Old 02-02-13, 10:04 AM
SEXC
Pole Position

If you get the TT supra calipers I recommend carbotech pads.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp
Old 02-02-13, 10:50 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by estomax
i think (this is what i've done before) is that i can order these calipers, pay the core fee, and then take my old sc400 calipers in and get the core fee refunded. i will probably go this route, as i don't want to spend 1000+ on some wilwood or stoptech goodies.

where do you guys get stainless lines for supra brakes? are the lines the same as sc400 stock brake lines?

cheers,
Marko
I've talked to people who work at autozone and other auto parts stores. They didn't have the calipers available for me to do what you have in mind, but they offer it on the website as a special order to rebuild supra tt calipers (that I would have to provide). If it was possible I would have gotten supra TT brakes from the start for my car.

Originally Posted by vinh
Even with Supra TT brakes, you're going to experience brake fade with the SC on the circuit. If you are NA you could probably get away with Supra TT brakes and some aggressive pads. I wouldn't even consider LS brakes an option for what you are trying to do since there isn't many pad options for those calipers. For people who are just trying to get a 4 pot brake system on a street car, it's a great option. But I wouldn't say the same if you are planning on tracking your car.
I talked to a PFC distributor and they said they would be able to make custom brake pads with any PFC compound for LS calipers if I provided them with a set of stock brake pads for them to measure. I didn't get into pricing, but there are pad options if you ask the right people.

I still plan to ditch the LS400 fronts and get a set of supra tt front and rear calipers for my car though.
Old 02-17-13, 12:27 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rcchris7
Unless you're looking to spend a few grand on a big name kit ls400 fronts with sc400 rear and abs delete is the best way to go IMO. Supra are heavier and not worth the price difference if you ask me
You are correct that the Supra brakes are heavier than the LS400's, however they are slightly lighter than the SC's https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...wn-weight.html Either way, the OP saves some weight.

However, the Supra calipers are worth their weight in gold for a reason. The pad selection on top of that made it a no brainer for me, I have them on the front and rear of my car right now. I wouldn't hesitate to autocross it (once I have new bushings in, I'm slightly OCD like that), however I would NOT track this car even on the Supra rotors for more than a lap or two at a time. If you go the same route as me, I advise investing in some slotted rotors and metallic-compound brake pads. Don't forget to switch to a higher rated brake fluid as well.

Also, just because the Supra name is on the caliper doesn't mean it has to be expensive, OP. Check around on the classifieds here, you'd be surprised at the deals you find.
Old 02-17-13, 12:43 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoaringSC
However, the Supra calipers are worth their weight in gold for a reason. The pad selection on top of that made it a no brainer for me, I have them on the front and rear of my car right now.

If you go the same route as me, I advise investing in some slotted rotors and metallic-compound brake pads. Don't forget to switch to a higher rated brake fluid as well.
Bingo!

Track pads not only handle high heat better than OEM style pads, they flat out REQUIRE more heat to work. The first stop on a cold race pad can be downright scary (and very unfriendly to rotors!)

Supra TT brakes, front brake ducts, FRESH fluid of your liking (don't get too caught up in temperature ratings) plus a good race pad and you should be fine for a 20 minute heat.

I would skip on the drill/slotted since high heats pads + drilling is generally not a good combo on the budget most people here operate on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: who here tracks their SC? brakes?