Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RWD IS350 Base: Coilovers OR lowering spring/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 02:45 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RWD IS350 Base: Coilovers OR lowering spring/shocks

2006 IS350 Base RWD

i had my mind made to replace my current suspension with some coil overs since the factory spring/shocks are shot. My car seems like its lowered because the shocks are shot.

My dilemma; My friend is raising hell saying coil overs are not reliable when compared to lowering spring/shocks. He says ill be paying around 1K for something that will last me only 50K miles.

I want to lower my car. im currently on stock wheels/tires. I would like to know what additional parts i need to purchase so my alignment can be a bit better. I just replaced my front tires and they are already wearing down on the insides. Ive read threads about camber and toe/ control arms but im uber confused about them.

thanks CL !

Last edited by Offspring; 01-17-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 03:11 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like you would just set it and leave it.
Lowering springs and good aftermarket shocks would be ideal.

If down the line, you wanted to adjust the ride height or damping, coilovers would be good. Heavy adjustments and riding at full firm will wear down the coilovers faster.

It really depends what you are trying to do with your car.

For front tire wear, the FIGS lower control arm bushing will help with that.
Old 01-17-13, 03:18 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Coilovers are technically the same as Springs/Shocks.... Think about it. The only thing that makes them COILOVERS is they are adjustable. They both have springs, and they both have shocks.

Quality coilovers are going to last you way more then 50K miles, it all depends really on the roads you drive on, the way you drive (careful or careless) and how low you set the coilovers, obviously the lowest setting wont "technically" last as long as say a mediocre drop but its all subjective and there are constant variables that are considered.

I'd say get yourself some coilovers.

Last edited by Deegee; 01-17-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 03:26 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

You are correct about setting it and leaving it. I just hate the massive GAP that the IS has. If i do go with the lowering springs will they completely cover the GAP? im not looking to slam the car, sacrifice ride quality or tuck my tire( funny becuase i dont know what stock ride quality is like). I just want that gap gone. Thank you for pointing me to the lower CA bushing.

The only reason for me going with the coilovers was to make sure i am able to drop the car low enough to cover that gap. If that is achievable by springs/shocks then i dont mind that route. It all boils down to how much it will cost. I see the F sport spring/ shocks will run me around 700+ on sewell. Or will i need a different spring for the drop ?

Thank you again !
Old 01-17-13, 03:58 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wheels/tires do you have?

To get rid of the gap, H&R Sport springs mated with Tokico or F-Sport (Bilstein) shocks would be good. The F-Sport shocks are actually cheaper than replacement OEM shocks, imagine that.

With the drop from springs, camber arms won't be necessary.
Old 01-17-13, 04:32 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Stock wheels and tires. So the f sport springs won't cover the gap ?
Old 01-17-13, 07:40 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you're RWD...go coils.............
Old 01-17-13, 08:56 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Since you're RWD...go coils.............
Could you Please explain the reasoning as to why it's better for me to get coilovers ? Thank you sir !
Old 01-17-13, 09:47 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

I've gotten my car on H&R springs, it's about a 1.4" drop but theres still about 2 inches of gap left, when I started to mod. I regretted not getting coils, =[ but sooner or later I will be going that route. Springs, cant be adjustable while coils are,
Old 01-17-13, 10:02 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

the H&R spring left you with a 2 inch GAP ? im sorry but i would be raging. compared to stock height its an improvemement but for someone likemyself whose looking to closse the gap completely.......i would not be satisfied. let me show you a picture of the way my car currently sits with busted shocks n springs......

are there any springs that will allow you to close the GAP completely ? Also, ive read countless threads about members lowering their cars and having issues with the tires rubbing ? is this specific to those with aftermarket wheels/tires . As stated before im running stock wheels and tires.

My shocks/springs are completely SHOT @ 118K miles.

Last edited by Offspring; 01-17-13 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 10:49 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

It left about 1-2 inches gap left over, you can try and get road magnet springs, which is the lowest drop on springs, with 2" all around. Tires rubbing are from their wheels, you won't be rubbing at all if you're on springs. If you can get coils, I would suggest you to go that route instead, and you can lower it the way you want your car to be instead.
Old 01-17-13, 11:42 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

As i know, there is no Spring could cover the gap of your tire and fender (unless you special order your springs)
Go with coil over.
P.S. i don't know if you friend ever had coil over set up on his car or not. So you should listen to people already been through IT RATHER THAN SOMEONE NEVER TRY BEFORE BUT LIKE TO COMMENT AND DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT
Old 01-17-13, 11:47 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Haga this is why I turn to this community before making stupid decisions. I'd rather take calculated
Risks. Either Wat seems like the best option is to go with the coils as I had decided before. I've heard good and bad about the Megan coils. The good that their made by BCR and I've hear nOthing but good things about those.

So my final question what kind of coils are where to but them. I'm going for the most bang for buck.

Last edited by Offspring; 01-17-13 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 07:32 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Offspring
Haga this is why I turn to this community before making stupid decisions. I'd rather take calculated
Risks. Either Wat seems like the best option is to go with the coils as I had decided before. I've heard good and bad about the Megan coils. The good that their made by BCR and I've hear nOthing but good things about those.

So my final question what kind of coils are where to but them. I'm going for the most bang for buck.
I would not risk buying springs if u absolutely want to make sure there is no gap, def get the megan ez coils. Alot of people buy them for our cars and are completely satisfied with daily driving and a good drop. I personally did not go with Megan since i had a bigger budget and wanted more out of my suspension then just a drop.
Old 01-18-13, 08:21 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I'm thinking about the BC BR coils with a spc camber kit.

Quick Reply: RWD IS350 Base: Coilovers OR lowering spring/shocks