Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Inflate your tires to 40psi cold
I noticed no difference in steering wheel vibration from my previous inflation pressure
44.44%
I noticed a worse steering wheel vibration from my previous inflation pressure
0%
I noticed a slight improvement in steering wheel vibration from my previous inflation
33.33%
I noticed a great improvement in steering wheel vibration from my precious inflation pressure
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Steering wheel vibration poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 10:43 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration poll

This is a poll to determine the effect tire pressure has on reducing steering wheel vibration

This will only work if you have already done the other stuff (bushings, ball joints, motor mounts ect...) just to get that little bit left out (probably because of tires)

Last edited by sam12345; 01-07-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 12:15 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I have never noticed air pressure as having any influence on steering wheel vibration on any car I have ever owned.

When I bought my 2001 GS430, it had a steering wheel shimmy...

Here are the things that eliminated it:

#1 (VERY IMPORTANT if you have aftermarket wheels or run spacers) - hubcentric rings

#2 Wheel balance

#3 Alignment

#4 Properly working suspension components (balljoints, caster-arm bushings, and outer tie rods all had an effect for me)

Luke
Old 12-28-12, 06:20 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I never had much vibration but I did have very little. I changed all the stuff you mentioned and some but still had a little vib. I added air to 40psi and it's gone.
Old 01-02-13, 11:34 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam12345
I never had much vibration but I did have very little. I changed all the stuff you mentioned and some but still had a little vib. I added air to 40psi and it's gone.
I also have slight vibration at 55-60mph in my LS 430, but only at those speeds. Vibration seems to fade away after tires warm up. I also noticed the vibration goes away completely when I increase air pressure. I have brand new Michellin tires that have been road force balanced perfectly so its not a balance issue. This has me stumped also!
Old 01-03-13, 06:59 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be nice if a alteration in air pressure would fix shimmy. I have replaced everything on the front suspension except lower control arm 1# and the upper control arm. I'm even getting a new repacment wheel installed in the front as we speak. The wheel was bent then repaired. I wanted to eliminate all possible issues so I'm replacing with a new one.

The ball joints and tierods are a must as it fixed about 80% of my 60-70 mph shimmy. The steering rack and poly sway bushings really tightened up the front suspension.with stock wheels and I would reccommend replacing all in the front.
My theroy is that when lowered the problems in the front suspension are more noticable. When I brought the car with stock wheels and suspension I noticed no issues with the suspension or steering shake.
Old 01-03-13, 11:23 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TI II
The ball joints and tierods are a must as it fixed about 80% of my 60-70 mph shimmy. The steering rack and poly sway bushings really tightened up the front suspension.
So true...
Old 01-03-13, 12:26 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the wheel was replaced and the shimmy is still there. Next up would be replacing the tires up front, Dr. side shock assembly (as it's lower mount bushing looks twisted out) then upper control arm.

I will fix the shake.
Old 01-03-13, 05:50 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I know this won't fix the shimmy. I only have a very slight vibration on certain roads.
Old 01-04-13, 06:39 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Interesting

12-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Air pressure will NOT affect balance.

BUT!

It can make a tire FEEL like it's out of balance.

Ok, bear with me. If a tire has some "density spots" in the sidewalls - IE, one section of the sidewall is ever so slightly thicker than the norm, THEN a lower air pressure CAN reveal this.

No, the balance won't be off, BUT it can make the tire "feel" a bit lumpy on the ride. The effect is very small - perhaps nothing more than a very minor jitter or vibration through the bars. However the effect would feel odd - one side of the tire not compressing the way the rest of the tire compresses. Could very much feel like a tire is out of balance.

Modern Manufacturing methods have pretty much eliminated this potential, but it IS possible.
Scot
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
BMW-K said:
Air pressure will NOT affect balance.

BUT!

It can make a tire FEEL like it's out of balance.

Ok, bear with me. If a tire has some "density spots" in the sidewalls - IE, one section of the sidewall is ever so slightly thicker than the norm, THEN a lower air pressure CAN reveal this.

No, the balance won't be off, BUT it can make the tire "feel" a bit lumpy on the ride. The effect is very small - perhaps nothing more than a very minor jitter or vibration through the bars. However the effect would feel odd - one side of the tire not compressing the way the rest of the tire compresses. Could very much feel like a tire is out of balance.

Modern Manufacturing methods have pretty much eliminated this potential, but it IS possible.

I was fixin to post something along these lines. Very low or Very high pressure can make the tire hop or shake. Does it in cars all the time. (I used to be a tire monkey for an auto shop)
The first thing we would check when customer complained.....tire pressure.

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/ar...p/t-68775.html
Old 01-04-13, 06:49 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Hence, vibration is caused by uneven sidewall pressure and this is the reason for a force balance and why higher tire pressure may help if the root cause is side wall pressure imbalance
Old 01-06-13, 12:24 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I dropped the pressure to 35 cold and still no vibration
Old 01-06-13, 09:18 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Originally Posted by sam12345
I dropped the pressure to 35 cold and still no vibration
Is there a slight vibration when you drop it to 32 psi which is the recommended air pressure?
Old 01-06-13, 09:47 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gbracer04
Is there a slight vibration when you drop it to 32 psi which is the recommended air pressure?
It was about 30 ( it had lowered due to the colder weather)
Old 01-07-13, 05:00 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

My vibration come and goes which is odd. It is very slight and hardly noticable. Most people driving the car prob wouldnt notice it if I hadnt told them about it but an LS drives so smooth that any change in feel will be noticed by me. The poll results might not be as accurate because some people are more in tuned with their cars than others.

Last edited by gbracer04; 01-07-13 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 06:58 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gbracer04
My vibration come and goes which is odd. It is very slight and hardly noticable. Most people driving the car prob wouldnt notice it if I hadnt told them about it but an LS drives so smooth that any change in feel will be noticed by me. The poll results might not be as accurate because some people are more in tuned with their cars than others.
Could be since I have an ls400 also. Also check your motor mounts. When you jack your car up or down you should see your motor move like its in a bowl of jelly if not your motor mounts are bad and apparently they suck (durability wise) on these cars. If the motor is steady in relation to the frame the mounts are broken. The other way to test is having someone put the brakes on and hit the gas an gear as you look at the mounts if they are bad you will see it for sure (look at the mount on the driver side)

Last edited by sam12345; 01-07-13 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration poll