Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So I slammed my car over the weekend, questions now.. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 08:42 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So I slammed my car over the weekend, questions now.. (Pics)

Hello CL,

I slammed my car over the weekend using some stance coilovers. I couldn't be more happier with the ride and handling but I have one issue that I hope some of you may be able to help me solve.

I've been rubbing a lot on my driver side, so I raised the car up a bit in the front and it seemed to help a bit but I'm still rubbing the plastic liner on my driver side wheel well. I've also set my tire pressure to 33-35lbs. I'm currently running stock rims, the front tires are 225/40ZR18

It sounds like its just the plastic liner (not fender thankfully) rubbing, and I'm not sure if I should just remove the liner all together or if there's another way to go about this.

I know a ton of you on CL ride slammed and was hoping ya'll could give me some feedback on what to do. The rubbing is occurring when hitting dips in the road or turning up/down into a slope. One thing I noticed is that under fender near the bumper clip that holds the two together, the plastic liner sticks out further on each side of the car and i think this may be what I'm hearing.

Lastly, would it be best to raise only the driver side a bit higher since Im kind of a heavy guy at 220lbs 5'10?

Here are a few pics of the end results

Last edited by Deegee; 12-17-12 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-17-12, 09:18 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One option would be to heat up the fender liner and push it up more to get a bit more clearance where it's rubbing, but you could still rub. Mine rubbed still after that was done.

Second option is to let it be, even after I heated my fender liner and pushed it up, it still rubbed and made a hole.

I wouldn't try to remove it altogether because at least the liner helps to protect some of the other parts that it didn't rub through.

Here's a link to another thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rs-liners.html
Old 12-17-12, 09:23 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Individual
One option would be to heat up the fender liner and push it up more to get a bit more clearance where it's rubbing, but you could still rub. Mine rubbed still after that was done.

Second option is to let it be, even after I heated my fender liner and pushed it up, it still rubbed and made a hole.

I wouldn't try to remove it altogether because at least the liner helps to protect some of the other parts that it didn't rub through.

Here's a link to another thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rs-liners.html
Thanks for the reply, so what I took from that thread was to be a bit more barbaric and rub the **** until it doesn't rub anymore cause having some fender liner is better than none.

I got worried after a 25mile highway drive because it sounded like it was rubbing more of the liner than before when i took it around the block but I think its cause the suspension fully settled in.

I'm supposed to be getting it aligned soon and I wasn't sure if I should just wait until i got a rear camber kit or do the alignment asap to save my tread. Whats your thoughts CL?
Old 12-17-12, 12:39 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I just been through it. Honestly, after market liner is the best best and very minimal rub for lower car ( not crazy slammed). I got it from ebay for $54 each and it works great.
check it out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-...0737d8&vxp=mtr

For the rear, there is one bolts for liner on the top, you should trim it off a bit.
Old 12-17-12, 12:51 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You sure your running 255-40 up front ? Cause that for the rear tires.
Old 12-17-12, 12:55 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

225/40/18 are for the front

255/40/18 are rears
Old 12-17-12, 12:59 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Whoa, I totally missed that. That may cause some of the rubbing too.
Old 12-17-12, 01:08 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

I'm running 225 up front, that was indeed a typo which I corrected in the original post, thanks for catching that.

Originally Posted by whitebeast
I just been through it. Honestly, after market liner is the best best and very minimal rub for lower car ( not crazy slammed). I got it from ebay for $54 each and it works great.
check it out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-...0737d8&vxp=mtr

For the rear, there is one bolts for liner on the top, you should trim it off a bit.
What made you decide to get aftermarket liner? After reviewing the ebay item this wouldn't really scream out to me 'for low clearance cars'.

Thanks
Old 12-17-12, 02:09 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try heating the fenderliner before buying a new liner, very simple mod
Old 12-17-12, 02:12 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not slammed less you're tucking rim.
And yea to cure your sight driver side rub either raise it slightly or cut out that section of liner all together.
As for me I gutted a lot of my inner fender and drive with no liner at all.
Good luck.
Old 12-17-12, 02:15 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I would try heating the fenderliner before buying a new liner, very simple mod
I don't have access to a heat gun, is there any other alternative like using a hair dryer?
Old 12-17-12, 02:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
I don't have access to a heat gun, is there any other alternative like using a hair dryer?
Got a Harbor Freight Tools around you anywhere? They should have one for cheap ($20) and i'm sure it will come in handy in the future too!
Old 12-17-12, 02:41 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Got a Harbor Freight Tools around you anywhere? They should have one for cheap ($20) and i'm sure it will come in handy in the future too!
I just found a heat gun around the office, I'll try this method and report back.
Old 12-17-12, 03:07 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely do the heat gun for sure, and I hope you've BEEN riding around on these coils for at least 1,000 miles before you "slammed" em... not good for the coils to be dumped right away without being broken in just for future reference.. few more inches and you'll be in the slammed category! lol looks good though man
Old 12-17-12, 03:26 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which TX u from? IF u in SA, I would help u

Quick Reply: So I slammed my car over the weekend, questions now.. (Pics)