Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 02:08 PM
SpiderXP7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rattle

I have a 2000 GS300 and have a rattle/vibration coming from what sounds like the front driver side. This rattle is only present at a stop with brakes engaged. If i am in reverse or drive it does not make a difference, but the rattle disappears when I put it in neutral or if I start to move. I recently changed upper control arm
lower ball joints
outer tie rods
struts
none of which changed the rattle. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 10-16-12, 06:55 AM
themccoy14
Driver

There are a ton of things that it could be but I just replaced the three steering rack bushings with poly-Kevlar bushings I found on ebay and my little rattle is gone... I also replaced the lower ball joints as soon as I got the car about four months ago. I would say choose the cheapest thing first and move on from there. Steering rack bushings are relatively easy to install and they're an inexpensive part. Make sure you get all three and not just the large bushing. My steering feels a million times better with the new bushings in place.
Old 10-17-12, 05:59 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themccoy14
There are a ton of things that it could be but I just replaced the three steering rack bushings with poly-Kevlar bushings I found on ebay and my little rattle is gone... I also replaced the lower ball joints as soon as I got the car about four months ago. I would say choose the cheapest thing first and move on from there. Steering rack bushings are relatively easy to install and they're an inexpensive part. Make sure you get all three and not just the large bushing. My steering feels a million times better with the new bushings in place.
Did replacing the Steering Rack Bushings help get rid of vibrations felt through the Steering Wheel at a standstill? Just wondering since I have yet to install these bushings on my car.

I get vibration through the Steering Wheel while I'm stopped, as well. However, I am thinking that my Engine and Transmission Mounts have gone out. My car is 14 years old and rubber does deteriorate over time.

Other people will tell you that the vibration may be caused by low idling at a stop. A remedy for this is to clean the Throttle Body and Mass Airflow Sensor. There is a DIY for this process. You may want to try this approach first because it is the cheapest fix (if it works) and a pretty simple DIY.

Over time I have begun to think that low idling is pretty typical for our cars and that the real problem may just be to replace the Engine and Transmission Mounts. However, it will not hurt to clean your TB and MAF, it just may not improve low idling.

Good luck in getting rid of your vibrations.
Old 10-17-12, 11:18 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusben
Did replacing the Steering Rack Bushings help get rid of vibrations felt through the Steering Wheel at a standstill? Just wondering since I have yet to install these bushings on my car.

I get vibration through the Steering Wheel while I'm stopped, as well. However, I am thinking that my Engine and Transmission Mounts have gone out. My car is 14 years old and rubber does deteriorate over time.

Other people will tell you that the vibration may be caused by low idling at a stop. A remedy for this is to clean the Throttle Body and Mass Airflow Sensor. There is a DIY for this process. You may want to try this approach first because it is the cheapest fix (if it works) and a pretty simple DIY.

Over time I have begun to think that low idling is pretty typical for our cars and that the real problem may just be to replace the Engine and Transmission Mounts. However, it will not hurt to clean your TB and MAF, it just may not improve low idling.

Good luck in getting rid of your vibrations.
^ Good advice! And yes, you need at least new motor mounts, probably tranny mount as well.
Old 10-22-12, 07:10 AM
SpiderXP7
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I fixed the issue, as stated in original post i recently replaced
upper control arm
lower ball joints
outer tie rods
struts
I was also planning on doing the No.2 Lower control arm but Sewell sent me to R side arms, so I had to return one and order a L. After replacing both arms this weekend I no longer get the rattle.
Old 11-13-12, 06:55 PM
kimry0710
Driver School Candidate

ugh good for u that u fixed ur rattle. recently purchased a used 99 gs300 myself, my car feels like its about to break apart whenever im driving it. been reading the forum though, recently changed tie rods, and ordered steering rack bushings, front lower and upper control arm bushings as well. waiting to get them in the mail so i dont have to feel like im driving a death wagon. jeez wish me luck