Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Getting Springs Y/N?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 09:32 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Springs Y/N?

I have stock premium 18" wheels on my 2008 IS250 and I plan on getting some CV3's maybe later on in the long run but I'm not quite sure yet. I have about a 2 inch gap on my wheels and plan on getting H&R Springs from a vendor here for 255$ shipped, but then the installation is 250$ out in here and thats cheapest I can get, the other quotes are about 400+. I don't have the type of money to go for coils yet. 18 Y/O college student on a budget lol. Do you guys think I should go for the springs? Is it worth the bucks? or save it for some different mod? I plan on getting the RoadRover navi, Invidia midpipe, CF interior, and Fsport Grill (eBay).
Old 09-29-12, 09:50 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you have stock 18", I assume that you don't have AWD.

With that said, check this link out.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFsQgggwAQ

These springs won't even cost you over $220.

You should share the vendor with us so we know who it is, because the vendors here usually give us the promise of having the lowest price compared to others.

Also, I assume that coils are easier to install than springs so that'd save you a couple bucks there.

My advice is to just save up for coilovers since your 2008's struts have its fair share of work in it already.

A majority of people here will also suggest to just save up a little more and go for coilovers anyways.

If it's not a priority, just do the other mods first and come back to lowering the car later. It's based on personal preference.
Old 09-29-12, 10:20 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by infate
Since you have stock 18", I assume that you don't have AWD.

With that said, check this link out.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFsQgggwAQ

These springs won't even cost you over $220.

You should share the vendor with us so we know who it is, because the vendors here usually give us the promise of having the lowest price compared to others.

Also, I assume that coils are easier to install than springs so that'd save you a couple bucks there.

My advice is to just save up for coilovers since your 2008's struts have its fair share of work in it already.

A majority of people here will also suggest to just save up a little more and go for coilovers anyways.

If it's not a priority, just do the other mods first and come back to lowering the car later. It's based on personal preference.

I plan on only dropping my car about H&R springs. I'm not planning to go low on my car as there's a lot of speed bumps and potholes here with some bumpy road. I don't want to put the vendor down here but he does give good deals on other things too! "b2autodesign". When I first got on this forum and all I've been hearing is first thing is DROP the car haha, that's what I was looking to do but overall would be 400-500 to get a drop, I don't mind but I just wanted to know if it's worth it
Old 09-30-12, 07:26 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think 2 most important things in modding a car is 1. drop 2. wheels

coils doesn't mean you have to slam, you can adjust a little lower in summer times and higher in winter (if that matters)
As well the dampening to find perfect comfort for you
But most importantly as infate mentioned, your shocks are probably pretty worned out by now too so not sure how long it can take the extra stress

As well you mention you're getting cv3 (i assume 20)....then it would be better to go coils so you can adjust later to prevent any rubbing, and maybe some fender work needed too

I'm on H&R but my shocks were still fairly new when I put them on bc I had it since new and I baby it on the road so I know what my car's been through....as well I was on budget too but down the road I'm swapping them for some bcr for sure

EDIT: And yes coils are easier to install too, less work needed than springs so you may save some on that part
Old 09-30-12, 09:03 AM
infate
Pole Position

It all comes down to personal preference honestly. Don't let others influence you. It's your car, your money.

The best bang for your buck mod imo, would be the F Sport sway bar set, front and rear since the stock sway bars on the IS250 is very small in diameter. It'll decrease body roll and it's very noticeable, especially during sharp turns.

Dropping the car and putting some wheels are what reyoasian prefers to be done first.

You should think it through and see what you want to get.

Wheels + Drop?

Better handling?

Louder exhaust?

I've had my fair share of regrets, but I eventually learned.
Old 09-30-12, 09:23 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Both infate and reyoasian are correct in what they have said. It all depends on your preference. This is such a broad topic that I'm sure you'll get a lot of different responses on what your first mods should be or if you should get springs or coilovers.

IMHO a drop is one of the first mods that should be done to the IS. With a rear sway bar or full front and rear sway bar set coming in a close second. With a drop and rear sway bar you will feel a drastic change in handling and driving experience.

If you have the $$$ I'd say save up and get the coils. You can always adjust the height to your liking down the road. Can't do that with springs. If you don't have the $$$ and want a drop now, get the springs.

I have been running springs for the past 4 yrs and no complaints so far. But I will be switching to coils later down the road.

Good luck on your decision. Whatever you decide, make sure it's your own decision and that you are happy with your choice.
Old 09-30-12, 09:30 AM
TUNG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reyoasian
I think 2 most important things in modding a car is 1. drop 2. wheels

coils doesn't mean you have to slam, you can adjust a little lower in summer times and higher in winter (if that matters)
As well the dampening to find perfect comfort for you
But most importantly as infate mentioned, your shocks are probably pretty worned out by now too so not sure how long it can take the extra stress

As well you mention you're getting cv3 (i assume 20)....then it would be better to go coils so you can adjust later to prevent any rubbing, and maybe some fender work needed too

I'm on H&R but my shocks were still fairly new when I put them on bc I had it since new and I baby it on the road so I know what my car's been through....as well I was on budget too but down the road I'm swapping them for some bcr for sure

EDIT: And yes coils are easier to install too, less work needed than springs so you may save some on that part
I barely have snow over here in Georgia so winter time it really doesn't affect me as much, the stock ride is comfortable already, and i heard if I do put springs on then it can be stiffer but gives a good drop to me and still rides comfortable if not better then stock. I have about 50k miles on my car and the person I bought this car from was from my mom's friend she had put in the dealer for a trade in and I know she's drives like a grandma so I would know that the car wasn't being treated roughly at all. I'm not really sure if I'm getting CV3's at all, it's jsut a wish and hoping I will get it one day, and plus it'll be 19" and heard it'll be a good drop with H&R springs. and one of my buddy that's a tech said that if I drop with coils, do it with a name brand not something to relevantly cheap and overtime the struts will need to be rebuilt.
Old 09-30-12, 09:30 AM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

there was a thread going around, title was " which mod do you regret the most "
a decent amount of ppl said springs & they had wished to get coils
i just got a used set of megan coils for a decent price
just be patient and do it the right way
Old 09-30-12, 09:47 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all comes down to personal preference honestly. Don't let others influence you. It's your car, your money.

The best bang for your buck mod imo, would be the F Sport sway bar set, front and rear since the stock sway bars on the IS250 is very small in diameter. It'll decrease body roll and it's very noticeable, especially during sharp turns.

Dropping the car and putting some wheels are what reyoasian prefers to be done first.

Wheels + Drop?

Better handling?

Louder exhaust?

Yeah, I think the 2IS especially AWD truck stance really needs a rest so I personally think a drop is key for these cars lol and wheels I think make a huge different in overall looks of the car

Honestly for the 2IS...all there is for modding is looks and sound, not much performance

Originally Posted by TUNG
I barely have snow over here in Georgia so winter time it really doesn't affect me as much, the stock ride is comfortable already, and i heard if I do put springs on then it can be stiffer but gives a good drop to me and still rides comfortable if not better then stock. I have about 50k miles on my car and the person I bought this car from was from my mom's friend she had put in the dealer for a trade in and I know she's drives like a grandma so I would know that the car wasn't being treated roughly at all. I'm not really sure if I'm getting CV3's at all, it's jsut a wish and hoping I will get it one day, and plus it'll be 19" and heard it'll be a good drop with H&R springs. and one of my buddy that's a tech said that if I drop with coils, do it with a name brand not something to relevantly cheap and overtime the struts will need to be rebuilt.
So you can just put it at good height since no snow and keep all year long, but will need adjustment for sure after you get some 20's or if you wait for 19's to come out
Yes springs will be stiffer for sure, ANY type of lowering will be stiffer (even coils because if you go lower and put it to soft setting, more chance of bottoming out or rubbing)
But it's not as bad as it sounds because a little more road feedback doesn't kill driving comfort
Honestly overall ride doesn't feel different for me at all before and after H&R, but when I paid CLOSE attention right after the drop, there was noticeably more road feedback (not just psychological) but I don't feel any more discomfort than stock

And you'd be surprised at how "grandma" drivers may do to their car...I don't just mean I baby my car as in drive slow, turn easy....but I go slow over bumps and dips, and avoid potholes.....the average mid-aged lady driver does not take into account of these things. I know because my mom and all her friends drive over potholes and dips like it's a flat road. Is not that they're bad driver, they're all very safe drivers in the sense that they obey the law and speed limit and such, but these other small things just don't occur to them like it would for us car enthusiasts, and going over dips and potholes is one big difference I noticed which is key for shocks.

Last edited by reyoasian; 09-30-12 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 10:16 AM
TUNG
Pole Position

Wheels + Drop?

Better handling?

Louder exhaust?

Thanks alot infate! I did get the rear sways done but havent gotten the front ones. Also I'm planning to get a invidia midpipe and have it with my stock exhaust and I already have the fsport intake installed as well. I think I'll just wait until I have the money to do a drop, but tbh I really wanna drop it with the springs for now to see how I like it, because I dont want to have the coils installed and later on if I ever resell the car, the coils will have no value unless I get it taken out and replaced with the stock springs.
Old 09-30-12, 10:20 AM
TUNG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Initial G
Both infate and reyoasian are correct in what they have said. It all depends on your preference. This is such a broad topic that I'm sure you'll get a lot of different responses on what your first mods should be or if you should get springs or coilovers.

IMHO a drop is one of the first mods that should be done to the IS. With a rear sway bar or full front and rear sway bar set coming in a close second. With a drop and rear sway bar you will feel a drastic change in handling and driving experience.

If you have the $$$ I'd say save up and get the coils. You can always adjust the height to your liking down the road. Can't do that with springs. If you don't have the $$$ and want a drop now, get the springs.

I have been running springs for the past 4 yrs and no complaints so far. But I will be switching to coils later down the road.

Good luck on your decision. Whatever you decide, make sure it's your own decision and that you are happy with your choice.
Thanks alot, I know coils the best way to go like everyone says haha, I see most people on here who went with springs having the H&R or Road Magnets.
Old 09-30-12, 10:56 AM
infate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TUNG
Thanks alot infate! I did get the rear sways done but havent gotten the front ones. Also I'm planning to get a invidia midpipe and have it with my stock exhaust and I already have the fsport intake installed as well. I think I'll just wait until I have the money to do a drop, but tbh I really wanna drop it with the springs for now to see how I like it, because I dont want to have the coils installed and later on if I ever resell the car, the coils will have no value unless I get it taken out and replaced with the stock springs.
Actually, if you do get coilovers, it'd actually be easier to switch it back to stock struts and springs because you're replacing the whole suspension, which means no need for spring compression and all sorts of stuff. As I said before, coilovers are actually cheaper to install than springs, no matter what, so same goes for getting the car back to stock.

I'm not going to bug you about the coilovers anymore. It seems like you have your mind set to getting springs.

I say the rear and front sway bars because the IS250's front sway bar and the IS350's front sway bar are different, but it looks like you're going to purchase the fronts in the future anyways.

Here's a reference of what I'm talking about

Old 09-30-12, 11:17 AM
configt
Rookie

Actually, if you do get coilovers, it'd actually be easier to switch it back to stock struts and springs because you're replacing the whole suspension, which means no need for spring compression and all sorts of stuff. As I said before, coilovers are actually cheaper to install than springs, no matter what, so same goes for getting the car back to stock.

I'm not going to bug you about the coilovers anymore. It seems like you have your mind set to getting springs.

I say the rear and front sway bars because the IS250's front sway bar and the IS350's front sway bar are different, but it looks like you're going to purchase the fronts in the future anyways.

Here's a reference of what I'm talking about

This is an awesome picture. I have been looking for something like this. Thanks Infate!
Old 09-30-12, 05:16 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend just saving up more money to get coils. More than likely your going to want to go lower after you get springs so you should just save your money and do it right the first time.

You mentioned you want CV3s? Maybe this will influence you to get coils

]
Old 09-30-12, 05:20 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

currently sitting on h&r's like you plan to, reason being, still have alot of tread on tires. Love the height on my stock 18's. But when the tread on my tires go out. Time for coils and wheels

Quick Reply: Getting Springs Y/N?