Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The Crappy Lexus Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-02, 05:48 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Crappy Lexus Suspension

Hey. I hear people mentioning an upgrade to the GS430 that'll make it handle better.

What is the upgrade?
Where do I get it?
How much does it cost?
And what does the upgrade make the car comparible to?

I've been freaking out about Lexus' lately and brought my best friend and his little brother to the local showroom to check one out.. He's an 18 year old and started looking at the IS300.. Everything seemed alright until he got the car on the road. I thought the IS was supposed to be a good handler? Is it not? The car handles badly. I would imagine the GS430 handles even worse.. What's the story with the stock suspension? The body roll is crazy. Now this kid is used to driving his two Brother's BMW 330 and 528 so yes, he's going to be picky. But he wouldn't have minded if it were even close..

Anyways.. For me - someone please answer those questions I have up above.. I'm not going to let a crappy suspension keep me away from the car I want. I just want to know what I need to do to make it drive the way I like...

Thanks...
Old 11-26-02, 05:59 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sal,

Anti-roll bars (sways).
Springs and Shocks (Possibly, a coilover system, like Tein HA / CS / Flex).
All kinds of stiffeners (strut tower bars, lower chassis braces, etc.)

Do a search and you'll find everything that you are looking for.
The road to better handling is clear and well-trodden by now...
Old 11-26-02, 06:08 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Good to know.. I hear I could have a ride close to an 5 series BWM? Is that true? About what could that cost? I have a Vette and have plenty of fun with that. I'm not looking to race the Lexus or have the best handling car. I just want to be comfortable.

The most important part of a good handling car, to me - is if I need to swerve out of an accident situation.. If I'm handling like a Vette or a BWM, I'm out and around with no problem. But.. If I'm in the Volkswagon Jetta (my Winter car), I'm dead.. I'm gonna lose control in a situation like that... 'know what I'm saying?

edit-language

Last edited by Daddy-O; 11-26-02 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 08:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's pretty surprising. from what i heard the is300 handles pretty well and it's in the same league as the 330i? anyway, that's not the point.

to improve the handling of the gs430, do things like what i did. trd sways, coilover (or springs + shocks), stb, front and rear brace. with those parts the gs430 will out handle a 540i no problem
Old 11-26-02, 09:03 PM
spectrabluelexi

IS300 handles fine...i have a GS4 and an IS. GS does need improvement. I bought the IS over the 330i because the car handled better and felt livelier...Just my .02 cents...
Old 11-26-02, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Damn, IMO, the IS 300 drives incredible, very nimble, I love it, IMO. Add sways to the GS first.
Old 11-27-02, 12:12 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the information. If the GS can handle like the 540i, then that's all I need. As for the IS300, it doesn't handle like the 330.. I've been driving the 3's and 5's for years. My first time in the IS300 was a bad experience.. It was a brand new car and the salesman said it felt like all the others - so it wasn't just one bad car. I can't think of any logical explanation as to why I would feel this way. I expected it to feel the same - but it doesn't.. There's a big difference.

I think if you're car shopping you may not recognise it. But like I mentioned, I've been driving the BMW's for years. They're boring looking as all hell. But they handle...
Old 11-28-02, 05:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I think some of the pre-Bangle BMWs are great looking (like the current E39 5-series)...the new BMWs are..well, a little too off the edge...the last good design (I think) was the E46 Coupe and the E46 M3...(not the E46 sedan)...I can't remember if Bangle designed that body style (I think he did the E46 sedan, not the coupe)...

At any rate, I have driven many BMW 5-series and I don't under where this "superior" handling feel comes from. Granted, the stock GS (especially with the stock 16" DONUTS) is a big slush bucket but the 5-series isn't some F1 race car in terms of handling.

As far as the 3-series/IS300 issue, I think you just might be used to the feel of a German car over a Japanese car (this is a definite difference).

Anyways, getting back to your GS upgrades, just doing sways will make a big difference...while you're puttin' those in, you might as well the TOM'S or TRD Front Lower Chassis Brace. I would also add at LEAST the front Strut Tower Bar...but I would also install the rear STB...

After that, you can go more hardcore and install some coilovers, TOM'S Rear Lower Chassis Brace and TOM'S 6-piece Link Kit.
Old 11-28-02, 12:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Sal - the IS300 and the BMW 3 series are 'different', it just depends what you want. I personally think the IS300 is more fun to drive. Feels like a go kart. The 3 series is more refined but feels heavier. Both great cars. The IS with it's 'nintendo' interior is clearly aimed at a 'youth' market.

Both BMW and Mercedes though need to be concerned a bit less with handling and performance and improve their QUALITY! That's one thing that Lexus does so well.
Old 11-29-02, 12:13 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Both BMW and Mercedes though need to be concerned a bit less with handling and performance and improve their QUALITY! That's one thing that Lexus does so well.
Agreed! I mean what good is "superior" handling if the things on a lift at the shop most of it's life?
Old 11-29-02, 11:03 AM
Lvangundy

"The IS with it's 'nintendo' interior is clearly aimed at a 'youth' market."

Maybe Nintendo and Toyta teamed up for this one. LOL..

Super Mario IS!
Old 12-01-02, 04:12 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, Road and Track magazine tested the IS300 versus the 330IS on a slalom and were they surprised when the IS300 pulled a 64.7 MPH versus the bimmer's 62.5 MPH. In slalom, that's a hefty difference!!
Old 12-01-02, 04:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by whitels
FWIW, Road and Track magazine tested the IS300 versus the 330IS on a slalom and were they surprised when the IS300 pulled a 64.7 MPH versus the bimmer's 62.5 MPH. In slalom, that's a hefty difference!!
well, the way i think about it is, having a softer suspension might not be a bad thing for handling after all. to some extend you want to eliminate roll for handling, but you still want some so you can turn better.
Old 12-01-02, 11:04 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Older test report from C&D.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...di%20A4&page=1
Old 12-19-02, 09:15 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

I rarely bother with the magazines.. They all suck. Too much BS and pay offs or something. I used to read them all the time and take their comparisons seriously.. That was a waste...

Quick Reply: The Crappy Lexus Suspension