Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is a "Bag over Coilover" Air suspension and is it cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 10:43 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is a "Bag over Coilover" Air suspension and is it cheap?

Hey CL,

So im a complete noob when it comes to air suspension. But I would really like If I could somehow get air on my car in the near future. I know of a few brands like Airlift , Airrex etc... but they all seem to cost over $3000 for just parts alone. I was wondering if its possible to get Air on my car for cheaper than that?

Ive heard some people talk about Bags over Coilovers and how its a cheaper alternative but I dont know exactly what that means. Like how exactly does that work, whats the benefit, and is there any negatives to it??

I have BC coils on currently if that helps any. Thanks guys.

P.s. Dont be afraid to lay the truth on me. I know Air kits are one of those stupid expensive mods that usually come at the end of a build but damn it , if theres a way to get it for less then im jumping on it lol.
Old 05-05-16, 11:59 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ex-struts.html

then sell your coils and you can have it for less than 3k!
Old 05-05-16, 12:12 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by metaleckz
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ex-struts.html

then sell your coils and you can have it for less than 3k!
I didnt know Terence was selling his air. Damn thats a good price too.
Old 05-05-16, 12:22 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...on-thread.html
that's a good read if you're completely new to air. tells you all the parts you need and pros/cons for each.
little outdated now that they have 3h but nonetheless, good info.

to answer your question:
http://www.airsociety.net/forums/sho...oils-Explained
Old 05-05-16, 07:51 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dyongg
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...on-thread.html
that's a good read if you're completely new to air. tells you all the parts you need and pros/cons for each.
little outdated now that they have 3h but nonetheless, good info.

to answer your question:
http://www.airsociety.net/forums/sho...oils-Explained
Hmm thats interesting. I still havent checked out your first link but from what Ive gathered from the 2nd link, it appears Bag over Coils can be a cheaper alternative but the negatives being a stiffer ride, not as much lift, and possible fitment issues.

I dont mind the whole stiff ride thing, as long as my car can lower itself real well and lift itself up enough that I can clear parking lot exits/entrances and the occasional crappy road then Im golden. Whats your opinion on going this route?
Old 05-05-16, 08:10 PM
qtmac
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not always stiff ride..you can get the bag/coil over setup that has dampening settings for the ride comfort soft to hard. The setup i have (AirForce suspension) the bag/coil has a 36 level adjustable dampening setting
Old 05-05-16, 08:15 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by qtmac
Not always stiff ride..you can get the bag/coil over setup that has dampening settings for the ride comfort soft to hard. The setup i have (AirForce suspension) the bag/coil has a 36 level adjustable dampening setting
So is the dampener on the bag as well?? Or is this just like how I have it currently on my BC's where the dampener is easily found and adjusted from under the hood?
Old 05-05-16, 08:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by qtmac
Also how reliable would you say this setup is? I heard that typically when you pay less for an air setup, your more likely to have issues arise.
Old 05-05-16, 08:31 PM
vat55
Driver School Candidate

Cheapest way to go is:
Your Bc coilovers+uas air bags+airlift v2 mgmt

Uas air bags $700-$800 a set depends how u bargain
Airlift v2 management 3/8 $1000-$1100 hitup outcast garage
U dont need dual compressor u only need single 444cc its already fast.
4 gal tank and ur all set.
Old 05-05-16, 08:41 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Default What is a "Bag over Coilover" Air suspension and is it cheap?

Originally Posted by vat55
Cheapest way to go is:
Your Bc coilovers+uas air bags+airlift v2 mgmt

Uas air bags $700-$800 a set depends how u bargain
Airlift v2 management 3/8 $1000-$1100 hitup outcast garage
U dont need dual compressor u only need single 444cc its already fast.
4 gal tank and ur all set.
Is there a difference between UAS and Air Force?
Old 05-05-16, 10:50 PM
vat55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tro209
Is there a difference between UAS and Air Force?
Airforce are combined struts and bags, i think they cost around $1800. u can do this setup too
but ur gonna want to sell ur bc coilvers
Old 05-05-16, 11:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vat55
Airforce are combined struts and bags, i think they cost around $1800. u can do this setup too
but ur gonna want to sell ur bc coilvers
Ohhh so theres no keeping the BC's? Hmm.. Also i just saw some videos on YouTube of the AirForce suspension and the cars on the vids didnt seem to go all that low? Is there a limit to how low it goes on this setup? Kinda pointless to go this route if I can go lower on Coils.
Old 05-05-16, 11:11 PM
loitranman
Driver

You can ask me through facebook. I just recently got UAS airbags over my BC coils. I'll give you more info on it.

To answer your question: "Ive heard some people talk about Bags over Coilovers and how its a cheaper alternative but I dont know exactly what that means. Like how exactly does that work, whats the benefit, and is there any negatives to it??"

This is UAS air bags, (Universal Air Bags) where you can purchase each individual bag most likely Aero Sport in our cars. You then need brackets for it for the BC coilovers that you have. As for the dampener, its based on your coilover to adjust the stiffness, etc. However, the problem with the UAS air bags on BC coils is that you NEED to cut/bracket the rear coilover to fit the air bag. (send the rears into UAS, about 250 dollars to do plus shipping and stuff equates to around 270-275.. Include the bracket that is needed for it, another 110-120).

As for the management, it is completely up to you, but I have accuair e-level management.

If you want to go air, its not cheap at all, no matter what direction you are going. $1000-2000 will get you the manual management (or maybe if you find a good deal on elevel management then hop onto it), air bags UAS = 189 a bag x 4 ~ $800(roughly after tax), get it rebracketed and cut 360-370, installation around 1000-1500. If you were to buy struts such as airrex or d2 or function and forms with the bags already on there, it'll cost around 1600+ for the F&F or D2 just for the PAIR, so around 3000+ for front and rear, going air force same thing. Airrex around 3000+ also. I'm just throwing some numbers out for the other struts because I'm not too familiar with them. (Correct me guys).

As for the going low, you can LAY FRAME if you wanted no matter what setup you do, its up to your installer and yourself. They just need to readjust it or cut it I believe. But there is a downside, if you don't have your fenders rolled or cut then you will definitely mess up your wheels. You can keep your BC's, I did with mine. I can lay frame with mine, however the maximum height isn't really THAT high because you are sacrificing going so low that when you have 90-100% air in your bags, its not that high off the ground.

Last edited by loitranman; 05-05-16 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 11:39 PM
qtmac
Rookie

The dampening setting is on top of the strut tower turn left or right to soften or stiffen up. Have my Accuair E-level+airforce for 2yrs now no problems
Old 05-05-16, 11:43 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by loitranman
You can ask me through facebook. I just recently got UAS airbags over my BC coils. (Loi Tran) give me a message. I'll give you more info on it.
Will do, and just did lol

Quick Reply: What is a "Bag over Coilover" Air suspension and is it cheap?