Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 05:28 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Aftermarket Shocks and Struts

Hi Guys,

The topic is aftermarket shocks and struts.

I'd like to purchase a set, but because my car is lowered, I'd like to be sure that any set that I buy will have more compression travel than my OEMs? In other words, if I could find a set of aftermarket shocks/struts that are 1-2" shorter (more specifically have 1-2" more compression travel before bottoming out compared to OEM), I should be good to go.

How can I be sure that any set of shocks/struts that I buy will fit this requirement.

Not interested in coilovers at this time.

Thanks

BayArea
Old 08-29-12, 10:01 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

thats pretty hard to find out, as I think most after market shocks are just oem replacements, so they should be close to oem spec. Its mainly the spring that adjusts the lowering amount.

Coilovers would be the best option as you can adjust the height, to whatever you like without messing up the spring rates.
Old 08-30-12, 10:19 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KYB GR2s FTW!
Old 08-30-12, 12:15 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

maybe take a look at bilstein?
They have 2 perch settings which maybe will get you a quarter-inch if i remember, but this basically just has the effect of lowering/raising your car by that amount. I think the "higher" setting though is just stock.

But regarding the compression travel, once it's fully compressed, aren't you basically rubbing at that point? Isn't the point of the stops is to prevent your tires from hitting your vehicle.
That being said, the bumpstop is part of the assembly, not part of the shock. I suppose you can shave that down to get a little extra travel, but then you have less cushion when you hit it between metal-metal.

Shouldn't your the goal just go get a stiffer shock, so the same force doesn't cause it to compress all the way, Changing travel distance I would think means you're just raising your car.

Last edited by raytseng; 08-30-12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 12:30 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raytseng
maybe take a look at bilstein?
They have 2 perch settings which maybe will get you a quarter-inch if i remember, but this basically just has the effect of lowering/raising your car by that amount. I think the "higher" setting though is just stock.

But regarding the compression travel, once it's fully compressed, aren't you basically rubbing at that point? Isn't the point of the stops is to prevent your tires from hitting your vehicle.
That being said, the bumpstop is part of the assembly, not part of the shock. I suppose you can shave that down to get a little extra travel, but then you have less cushion when you hit it between metal-metal.

Shouldn't your the goal just go get a stiffer shock, so the same force doesn't cause it to compress all the way, Changing travel distance I would think means you're just raising your car.
That's what I was thinking. That's why I made sure the aftermarket springs I went with were progressive rate. I could get the smoothness of stock, but when pushed hard, the compression goes way up to prevent bottoming out.
Old 08-31-12, 08:44 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bilstein's. They have two perch settings, the lowest one is what's preferred.
Old 09-02-12, 10:47 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Bilstein sport w/ eibach pro kit is what I am using... I drive all over the bay area and it is still very comfortable. I was shocked. I expected them to be harsher than the oem eibach setup... But just as supple with the firmness to eliminate that boat roll feeling. The car looks lower than stock but not low by any means. The perfect DD setup as far as I am concerned. Aka not concerned with bumps and parking lot entrance and exit. 243k on the dial and my oem shocks were all good except for the front right. I just changed to bilstein sports and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-14-13, 05:20 AM
enterconne
Driver

Originally Posted by rl9010
Bilstein sport w/ eibach pro kit is what I am using... I drive all over the bay area and it is still very comfortable. I was shocked. I expected them to be harsher than the oem eibach setup... But just as supple with the firmness to eliminate that boat roll feeling. The car looks lower than stock but not low by any means. The perfect DD setup as far as I am concerned. Aka not concerned with bumps and parking lot entrance and exit. 243k on the dial and my oem shocks were all good except for the front right. I just changed to bilstein sports and couldn't be happier.

Do you have any pics of your brake lights or a write up. I have a 98 and not a huge fan of the tail lights.
Old 02-15-13, 09:35 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
KYB GR2s FTW!
I've heard some folks recommend these. It's funny because in the domestic world these are considered to be absolute bottom of the barrel crap.