Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Creaking Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 06:17 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creaking Suspension

I just replaced UCA, LCA, LBJ, Caster Arm bushing, and my tie rods.

I only experience the creaking when I am braking and turning my steering wheel. I notice it the most when I am braking and turning at slow speeds.

I am a little concerned....any thoughts on what is going on here?

Also when I am coming to a stop and turning my steering wheel....it feels like I lose braking power....its almost like the ABS kicks in....the brake pedal goes a little dead. The car still brakes but its an odd feeling. This does not happen 100% of the time.....but I feel like it could turn into a safety issue.

Of course all of this happens right after I change jobs and have to get rid of the company car...
Old 09-21-12, 10:46 PM
KIckDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the same problem I got! Quiet during the day and freaks hard at night during steering and braking! Was about to to ball joints like suggested and still up on list but don't wanna go through wat you did and still have problem! Let me know if you find a fix!
Old 09-22-12, 07:07 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AnimalB
I just replaced UCA, LCA, LBJ, Caster Arm bushing, and my tie rods.

I only experience the creaking when I am braking and turning my steering wheel. I notice it the most when I am braking and turning at slow speeds.

I am a little concerned....any thoughts on what is going on here?

Also when I am coming to a stop and turning my steering wheel....it feels like I lose braking power....its almost like the ABS kicks in....the brake pedal goes a little dead. The car still brakes but its an odd feeling. This does not happen 100% of the time.....but I feel like it could turn into a safety issue.

Of course all of this happens right after I change jobs and have to get rid of the company car...
I have had creaking and or clunking after replaced my LBJs and all four struts. The funny thing is that the creaking/clunking wouldn't not be heard during raining and a day or two afterward. And then its came back. And this continue to make noise even after I sprayed it with a can of silicone grease everywhere there is/are joints. It gone now. But once a blue moon, I can heard only on the driver side. Don't ask me what I did to it. I am just ride and ignore it; LOL. However, there are quite a few more items you can check on, sway bar bushing and sway end links. Finally search for keywords like, clunking, creaking, popping for 2nd GS.

As for the ABS issue. Take it to a mechanic if you don't have a code reader. There are maybe existing codes that may not trigger Check Enginee Light and/or VSC to lite up.

Last edited by GS714; 09-22-12 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 06:34 AM
KIckDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Ok found a bushing on driverside inboard of that LBJ close to the frame. Shot it with white lithium grease and like magic no noise! I'm still looking to order front bushings and LBJ's cause these are serious components that need to be addressed!Hope this helps guy!
Old 09-25-12, 07:48 AM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS714
I have had creaking and or clunking after replaced my LBJs and all four struts. The funny thing is that the creaking/clunking wouldn't not be heard during raining and a day or two afterward. And then its came back. And this continue to make noise even after I sprayed it with a can of silicone grease everywhere there is/are joints. It gone now. But once a blue moon, I can heard only on the driver side. Don't ask me what I did to it. I am just ride and ignore it; LOL. However, there are quite a few more items you can check on, sway bar bushing and sway end links. Finally search for keywords like, clunking, creaking, popping for 2nd GS.

As for the ABS issue. Take it to a mechanic if you don't have a code reader. There are maybe existing codes that may not trigger Check Enginee Light and/or VSC to lite up.
Got the car up on a lift this past Sunday. The creaking/cracking noises were coming from the brake pads....there were no shims (not sure on correct spelling) on the outside of the pads. Not sure why shims wouldnt come with OEM pads from the dealer? When I would be breaking and turning it would make a creaking/cracking because metal was touching metal. Also, the clips that hold the pad in place were a little loose. We just adjusted the clips to make things a little tighter. A lubricant was applied to the areas that were showing wear on the exterior of the pads. Next time I replace my pads I will make sure to get shims for the pads.

As far as the dead pedal feeling....I think it is the start of the master cylinder going bad. We flushed my brakes....hopefully that fixes everything.