Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What could this noise be (Tein Flex)???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-02, 12:39 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could this be???

Hey guys, my front right Tein Flex coilover is making a thumping sound everytime I hit a bump.. At first I thought something came loose, but that wasn't it.. I took my car to Lexus last night and I had my ussual guy take a look at it... Everything was tight, the car was alittle uneven .... I don't know why it was either because I had all four wheelwells measured out to 27" now they all are except the front left which is 26 3/4"... But anyway everything is tight and nothing seems to be wrong... But when the car was on the lift with the wheels on we tried to lift the wheels to see what would happen and the front right doesn't seem to be as smooth on the return as the rest of them... Could it be that it's blown already?? I only had them for about 3 months, and it's not like my car is slammed or anthing... What could it be???
Old 11-05-02, 12:42 PM
Lvangundy

Maybe the same problem I'm having..

Whenever I hit a good bump, or go off a driveway anythign that makes the car dip really deep I hear this loud clunking noise.

I think it's the lower ball joints. =(

Last edited by Lvangundy; 11-05-02 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-05-02, 12:51 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

With mine I don't have to hit a bump. Anykind of uneven road will do it, I'm going to bring my car back to Lexus today and mess around with it some more.... Lvangundy, what kind of suspension are you running??
Old 11-05-02, 02:48 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

The only thing that I can think of is the damper is bad...I was having the same problem when I first got my L-Tuned shocks put in by the delear....I took it back to them and they told me that the damper was bad and they replaced all 4 on the car....just my thought....also the noise I heard was only from 1 of the damers...and it would happen every now and then...but when it did happen you couldn't miss it

-KRis
Old 11-06-02, 03:01 AM
Jazziz
Driver

This problem cropped up a few years ago when ppl first started going with the l-tuned suspension. If I remember correctly the new bump stops would sometimes hang up on the rod of the shock and then fall back down into position after hitting a small bump with a muted thud. I used my old bump stops and haven't had any problems.
Old 11-07-02, 12:11 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mrsypher,

Ok I have had this similar problem with the Tein Flex but it was caused by dirt and dust buildup where the plastic is in between the coil and the shock.. Just jack up each corner then wash out the shock then spray lubricant (WD40 or if you have any of the lube that came with the Flex package left use that).. I've had no issues since doing this.. Dirt buildup was caused because I live in a new subdivision and they are still building homes..

Hope that helps!
Old 11-07-02, 04:21 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Ken, thanks... I'll take a look tomorrow.. I hope that's what it is.. But, I already talked to the guys at TEIN and they are going to send me a new one and I have to send mine back... I'm going to take a look at it first and see if there's dirt build up... I don't want to look like a fool and they get it and there's nothing wrong... Thanks guys....
Old 11-11-02, 07:53 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

mrsypher,

Any update on trying to wash out the Teins and lubricating them??
I hope it worked but good to know that Tein stands behind their coilovers..

BTW did you get the EDFC with your Flex Coilovers??
Old 11-11-02, 08:12 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Savster, I did clean and lube them.. It still maskes the noise but it's not as harsh as it was before... Thanks... I still think there's something wrong but I'm going to hold off on sending it till it falls off... :eek: Thanks again.. Oh, I didn't get the EDFC because I have STB's and it wouldn't fit... And I would pick the support of the STB's than the luxury of the EDFC anyday...
Old 11-11-02, 08:33 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Good choice.. The STB is a much better solution over the EDFC (Toy).. What STB did you end up using??

Little brother needs one for his GS but not sure what to get him.. Might score him the STB (front & rear) as his Xmas gift..
Old 11-11-02, 08:51 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Good choice.. The STB is a much better solution over the EDFC (Toy).. What STB did you end up using??

Little brother needs one for his GS but not sure what to get him.. Might score him the STB (front & rear) as his Xmas gift..
Well, I had the Tom's but now I got TRD.... Steve still has a few Tom's STB's.... But I'm waiting for UGO to start producing theirs again so I can jump on those... BTW that's a good idea for your brother.. Either STB's or Sways, you can't go wrong...
Old 06-26-03, 08:30 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi MrSypher,

I realize this is an old thread but did you ever get this thump completely resolved? I think I am hearing similar on mine. Just wondering.
Old 06-26-03, 09:06 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrSypher
Well, I had the Tom's but now I got TRD.... Steve still has a few Tom's STB's.... But I'm waiting for UGO to start producing theirs again so I can jump on those... BTW that's a good idea for your brother.. Either STB's or Sways, you can't go wrong...
Last weekend...Steve had a UGO STB on display in the shop.

R
Old 07-06-03, 08:44 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Neo, the thump hasn't stopped but I have a new coilover to replace it now.. So it's just a matter time till I find time to switch it out...
Old 07-06-03, 08:52 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MrSypher
Neo, the thump hasn't stopped but I have a new coilover to replace it now.. So it's just a matter time till I find time to switch it out...
MrSypher, did they swap it out under warranty or did you have to buy the new coilover?

Quick Reply: What could this noise be (Tein Flex)???