Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Finally Fixed my Clunk!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 01:24 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Finally Fixed my Clunk!!

I Figured I make a thread for others having the infamous clunk noise in the front and what fixed mine..I used to be embarrassed driving with people in my car. I use to blast my music when I went over bumps so I couldn't hear the clunk. But I would still feel it under my feet
So I had a annoying clunk that I would hear every time I hit dips or bumps. It felt like my car was loose and cheap... So I started by doing the LBJ and outer tie rods and new front rotors and brakes.. Now that alone did not fix my clunk but it did make it a little better. Then I saw that my upper control arm on the passenger side looked beat up so I want ahead and replaced that as well. Now my car felt a lot smoother over bumps but there was still a clunk. Then I went ahead and got my daizen poly bushings installed on my castor arms. This is where I had complications. My friend went ahead and did the driver side just fine. Then my passenger side we noticed that there was one bolt missing on the castor arm. We then saw that it was because the threads were messed up. So we put off installing that side. I went and got a used arm from someone on the forums so it would be easier. after about a month I finally got some time to get it installed and my mechanic calls me and tell me that its the wrong side, after he already pressed in the bushing. so he goes I can probably save the bushing if I break the arm so I gave him the ok. He got the bushing installed on the old arm and retreaded the bolt. I got the car back and it felt a whole lot better now with both new bushings instead of just one. But I still had the damn clunk.
At this point I was going to call it quits, but I didnt.
I got new Sway bar bushings installed today which took 15 mins, along with new rear pads and wow!!! No more clunk or feeling like my floor is loose. I drove my car through one of the worst roads in my town where normally my car feels like its falling apart and I cringe over every bump. And it was like a night and day difference!! No clunks whats so ever and my car feels solid now!!
So my problem was the sway bushings which I might add didn't look bad at all when we removed them. So for anyone else having this problem I say change the sway bushings! They are only $13 shipped and make your car feel solid again!!
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...us+GS+400+1999
Old 03-19-12, 05:25 PM
SlowGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find, I'm still looking for my clunking noise. This is probably the next thing I'll try.
Old 03-19-12, 05:56 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I definitely recommend doing it. Its a quick job and the cheapest to do.
Old 03-19-12, 07:04 PM
AtlantaVIP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for this thread! I've been having the same issue so I will try this out. Did you change just the fronts or did you also do the rears?
Old 03-19-12, 08:16 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default lowest price first to the highest price last.

With regards to the whole front suspension components, The UCA is the most expensive, OEM or after market. I think this is the order that I am going to replace. After all everything is already over ten years.

Sway Bar Bushing (Front and Rear)
Outer Tie Rod
Caster (S) Arm #2
Lower Control Arm #1
Upper Control Arm.

Anyway I talked to one of the Lexus Technician (former), and what he told me was a jaw dropping confusing. He said the clunking could also be caused by the strut itself. The trick was to replace the strut with some other after market brand. Have anyone ever heard of this.
Old 03-19-12, 08:19 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Where/When did your Daizen bushing?

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
I Figured I make a thread for others having the infamous clunk noise in the front and what fixed mine..I used to be embarrassed driving with people in my car. I use to blast my music when I went over bumps so I couldn't hear the clunk. But I would still feel it under my feet
So I had a annoying clunk that I would hear every time I hit dips or bumps. It felt like my car was loose and cheap... So I started by doing the LBJ and outer tie rods and new front rotors and brakes.. Now that alone did not fix my clunk but it did make it a little better. Then I saw that my upper control arm on the passenger side looked beat up so I want ahead and replaced that as well. Now my car felt a lot smoother over bumps but there was still a clunk. Then I went ahead and got my daizen poly bushings installed on my castor arms. This is where I had complications. My friend went ahead and did the driver side just fine. Then my passenger side we noticed that there was one bolt missing on the castor arm. We then saw that it was because the threads were messed up. So we put off installing that side. I went and got a used arm from someone on the forums so it would be easier. after about a month I finally got some time to get it installed and my mechanic calls me and tell me that its the wrong side, after he already pressed in the bushing. so he goes I can probably save the bushing if I break the arm so I gave him the ok. He got the bushing installed on the old arm and retreaded the bolt. I got the car back and it felt a whole lot better now with both new bushings instead of just one. But I still had the damn clunk.
At this point I was going to call it quits, but I didnt.
I got new Sway bar bushings installed today which took 15 mins, along with new rear pads and wow!!! No more clunk or feeling like my floor is loose. I drove my car through one of the worst roads in my town where normally my car feels like its falling apart and I cringe over every bump. And it was like a night and day difference!! No clunks whats so ever and my car feels solid now!!
So my problem was the sway bushings which I might add didn't look bad at all when we removed them. So for anyone else having this problem I say change the sway bushings! They are only $13 shipped and make your car feel solid again!!
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...us+GS+400+1999
I thought Daizen or TM is out of business
Old 04-09-12, 01:24 AM
WLGS01
Pole Position

Nice info. I need to start tackling my clunk noise also.
Old 04-09-12, 03:26 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AtlantaVIP
Thank you for this thread! I've been having the same issue so I will try this out. Did you change just the fronts or did you also do the rears?
I did just the front

Originally Posted by GS714
I thought Daizen or TM is out of business
Nope they aren't I have ordered from them several times with no problems and I receive my stuff within a week!!

Originally Posted by WLGS01
Nice info. I need to start tackling my clunk noise also.
Go for it!! First tackle the balljoints and tie rods if you want. Then do the sway bar bushings!! If you still have the clunk check the upper control arms, then struts if they are oem.
Old 04-09-12, 03:28 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

[quote=GS714;7098897]With regards to the whole front suspension components, The UCA is the most expensive, OEM or after market. I think this is the order that I am going to replace. After all everything is already over ten years.

Edit!!! I would do
Ball joints first
Sway Bar Bushing (Front and Rear)
Outer Tie Rod
Caster (S) Arm #2
Lower Control Arm #1
Upper Control Arm.
Old 04-11-12, 10:51 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How does your steering feel after replacing those bushings? Is it any tighter or did it just relieve your clunk?
Old 04-19-12, 09:30 PM
SlowGS4
Driver

Just an update, I receieved my package fast, was shipped the day I sent payment.

The big notice I felt was less body roll in turns. The moment after i changed the front bushings I still have the clunking/squeking when slowing down/tap on brake and slowing into turn bumps. After about a month of driving, I went under the car for a quick peek to see if everything was in shape. I decided to torque the two caster arm bolts on both sides to 110ft/lbs and the noise was gone as of now!

I dont know which caused my squek, but I dont have to deal with it anymore.

On a side note, I have changed everything in the front suspension except for lower control arm and upper control arm. (ball joint, tie rods, caster bushing, stabilizer links, steering bushing and sway bar bushing)

Now I have to decide if I should replace the lower control arm bushing with daizens before I install my coilovers.

Thanks for this thread!

Last edited by SlowGS4; 04-20-12 at 12:36 AM.