Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

08 350: rotors or brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 06:52 PM
player1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 350: rotors or brake pads?

Hello CL fam,

I have an 08 is 350 with 50k miles. I got the car new, had the high performance brake pads that showered dust all over the wheels, got Lexus to replace them for the standard brake pads with lesser dust at around 20k miles. I have started to notice some difference in braking, specifically in these last 7-8k miles that I've driven. It feels as if the brakes don't catch as fast. There is also some minor vibration that I feel in the brake pedal and secondarily in the steering wheel when I brake to a stop at from higher speeds (50-60 mph).

My tires are in good shape and so is my alignment. I'm pretty sure it's the brakes. My question is, do I need new pads? New rotors? Is there any such thing as having you're rotors reshaven?

As always, your input and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-12, 06:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The low dust pads stop the car exactly as short as the high dust ones, because pads don't change braking distance.... but they do feel different... the low dust pads are less grabby (which many like, since it gives them a wider range in which to modulate braking force)

Vibration when braking is usually caused by even pad transfer... if this is recent you might be able to fix it with rebedding the pads... if that doesn't do it hitting the rotors with a garnet pad might work.

Otherwise you might be bad off enough to need to replace the rotors (resurfacing is an option if they're really bad and don't respond otherwise, but results can be...not great... from that depending how the shop does it, and it's often not much cheaper than new rotors)

A lot more info on the real cause of the issue, what to do about it, and how to avoid it in the future here:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 02-16-12, 02:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

$70-80 for new pads and $120 for new rotors (fronts only); what's $200 for peace of mind, no noises or annoying feedback in the steering wheel, and being set for another 30k miles (at least).
Old 02-17-12, 05:40 AM
player1
Driver

Hey gville, thanks for the input...any good website recommensations to get thr pads and rotors for the price you listed? How much is installation usually- thinking abt taking it to toyota for the rotors
At least? I can prolly do the pads myself but if I am getting my rotors
Changed....might as well get my pads done too?

Thanks
Old 02-17-12, 01:16 PM
Gville350

^Bro, if you can operate a socket wrench, pliers, a T-clamp, and a jack...you can do pads/rotors on a 350. Very simple job with the caliper design on these cars.

For pads, a lot of people like OEM. For OEM parts, I'd recommend Sewell Lexus. Club Lexus members get discounts through their website. For aftermarket pads, you have various options. I have StopTech Streets right now, and dislike them. I like to have a better initial bite with my braking, and these are more like OE dustless pads I think. I wish I could have gotten Axxis/PBR Ultimate ceramic pads...but they were sold out nationwide and on backorder when I needed pads.

For rotors, blanks are best. OEM/aftermarket...it don't matter. I love my PowerSlot rotors though; they engineer the internal fins inside the rotor to better cool the rotor core than OE-type rotors and I love the way the slots look too.

Do the install yourself and save the $100-200 you would pay someone else to do it. With the money saved, you can buy more mods/tools!
Old 02-25-12, 05:27 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

I just did the brakes on my car and it took my about an hour but I also flushed the fluid so shouldnt take more than 30-40 minutes to do pads and rotors. I went with Centric brakes cause I get them at wholesale from Tire Rack and they make most of the OEM brakes on the market anyways. If you were closer I could help you
Old 03-08-12, 03:25 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Bro, if you can operate a socket wrench, pliers, a T-clamp, and a jack...you can do pads/rotors on a 350. Very simple job with the caliper design on these cars....
Any good DIY? I've never done brake pads or rotors before on any car. I have done the brake flush myself on my '08 Is 350 and my dad's '07 CR-V.

Originally Posted by eviljarv
...I went with Centric brakes cause I get them at wholesale from Tire Rack and they make most of the OEM brakes on the market anyways
Originally Posted by player1
....any good website recommensations to get thr pads and rotors for the price you listed? ....
Over on the lexus is 350 front brake pads/rotors thread, I broke down the cost of the various Centric options from rockauto.com versus OEM from Sewell. Someone brought up partsgeek.com. I had some further questions on there that I am waiting on answers for.

....For pads, a lot of people like OEM. For OEM parts, I'd recommend Sewell Lexus. Club Lexus members get discounts through their website. For aftermarket pads, you have various options. I have StopTech Streets right now, and dislike them. I like to have a better initial bite with my braking, and these are more like OE dustless pads I think. I wish I could have gotten Axxis/PBR Ultimate ceramic pads...but they were sold out nationwide and on backorder when I needed pads.

For rotors, blanks are best. OEM/aftermarket...it don't matter. I love my PowerSlot rotors though; they engineer the internal fins inside the rotor to better cool the rotor core than OE-type rotors and I love the way the slots look too.

I'll keep your brake pads/rotor options in mind for my next round. For now I'm either going the Centric route or the OEM route. I have to get something fast
Old 03-08-12, 04:23 PM
Gville350

Give this DIY a shot :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html
Old 03-08-12, 04:51 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

I would go with Centric over OEM imo, try the premium rotors with the Posi-Quiet pads, thats what I have and no complaints at all
Old 03-09-12, 09:45 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eviljarv
I would go with Centric over OEM imo, try the premium rotors with the Posi-Quiet pads, thats what I have and no complaints at all
Thanks. If you don't mind, please take a look at the attached image of my Shopping cart for partsgeek. Does it look like I grabbed everything correctly?

I've also included my screenshots of my RockAuto shopping cart (which I can't get to work right so I'm not ordering from them) and my Sewell shopping cart of OEM items for reference. a $400ish savings for the Centric route. Not bad.
Attached Thumbnails 08 350: rotors or brake pads?-partsgeek.jpg   08 350: rotors or brake pads?-rockauto-order-screen.jpg   08 350: rotors or brake pads?-sewell.jpg  
Old 03-09-12, 12:10 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Thanks. read through the whole DIY and did a post with some questions in there. Saw a link within there for doing the rear brakes. Looking for one for changing the rotors too.