Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 dust shields fitment and caliper decals

Old 01-28-12, 06:27 AM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 dust shields fitment and caliper decals

I will be upgrading my brakes on my SC300 soon. LS400s on the front and TT rears. At the same time I will be changing all 4 wheel bearings. Since I will have everything apart for the wheel bearing job, I might as well put on the correct dust shields as opposed to cutting them off or modifying them. Do the LS400 dust shields definitely bolt right on?

Also, where is the best place for caliper decals? I found these but not sure if I need the straight or curved ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-CURVED...item3f112dc7be

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-STRAIG...item41604d5979

Thanks

Last edited by joliroger4; 01-28-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-29-12, 08:57 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Straight decals usually look the best on LS400 calipers. As for the dust shield, I will be trying to do the same thing since I have my hands on LS400 dust shields and brakes. Let us know if they bolt directly onto the hub or what mods need to be done to get it done since nobody uses dust shields with LS400 brake upgrades.
Old 01-29-12, 09:13 AM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input on the decals. Unless I hear otherwise in this thread. I'll order those shields and see how they workout and post my results on here. I got my TT brake kit this week for the rear(everything but the shields) and know those shields bolt on, the only problem is they are very expensive new. I'll prob buy them, but until I am ready to do the job in the spring I am trying to hold out for a used set.
Old 01-29-12, 11:07 AM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just about to make a thread just like this, so im waiting on the input on the dust shields as well
Old 01-30-12, 05:23 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know what size the area is the decal goes on with the LS400 calipers? The seller of those decals I posted stated they are 80mmx15mm. I dont have my calipers yet, so if someone knew, that would be one less thing I have to get later.

Thanks
Old 01-30-12, 05:25 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're talking about the eBay seller from AZ, you actually need to message him what Lexus you need it for. He's a great guy to deal with, great communication.
Old 01-30-12, 05:30 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

No I meant these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-STRAIG...item41604d5979

I wanted them because they look like the front wil lwork with the LS400s and the rears will look nice on the TT rears as well as be a good fit.
Old 01-31-12, 01:24 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a set of supra TT rear suspension knuckles with hubs and shields, etc. I would like to change the bearings on these, then swap the knuckles to my SC300 to avoid down time. Does anyone know if the SC300 rear knockles and TT knuckles are interchangable? They are showing different part numbers on the web, but I am curious what the difference is.
Old 02-06-12, 03:44 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

The heat shields and spare front knuckles arrived. The shields have a different bolt pattern than the stcok sc300 shields. I am going to try redrilling the LS400 shields and see how that works. I hope it does because if it doesn't, I'll be pressing the bearings out again
Old 03-06-12, 02:22 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

To wrap up this thread I did end up getting the LS400 heat shields to fit. However, it required more work than it was worth. I had to drill in a different bolt patttern on the shields, as well as cut a good portion of the shield to clearance the tie rod end. I am glad I ended up with the correct shield, and isn't horrible if you are doing your bearings at the same time, but it is probably just as good to modify and use the stock SC heat shields when just doing the LS400 upgrade alone since you have to cut and drill the LS400 shields anyway.

Old 03-07-12, 09:29 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

^ Good info! This is the first time I've seen LS400 dust shields on a SC. Looks like you did a good job.
Old 03-07-12, 09:45 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks funny.. You could've just used the stock dust shields and trim the bottom part where the LS brakes will hit it..
Old 03-07-12, 01:02 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I could have. However, if I didn't try, who's to say they would not of been a bolt on? No one else was able to answer that question and now we know. I took a gamble on trying to have something better than a hacked up stock shield. In then end, I ended up with a hacked up LS400 shield, but at least other people going down this road will have the information available to them. I know how it is organizing these little projects and not having the info available to plan the project. I'd still rather have these shields than a modified SC shield. The LS400 shields are designed for these brakes. I really don't see what looks so funny, it is just a stock LS400 shield with a slot cut in it.
Old 10-13-14, 09:23 PM
bilgen
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

reviving an old thread..
does anyone have a pic of a COMPLETED ls400 brake swap WITH dust shields??
Old 10-13-14, 11:46 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

COMPLETED WITH dust shields. Nothing to see really, they look just like stock LS400 brakes. The important pic is the one showing the shields and the modification necessary to fit the shield. I have since moved on to TT brakes in the front. I was not happy with the pad selection available for LS400 brakes. The stock TT front dust shield is a bolt on too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS400 dust shields fitment and caliper decals