Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: What FIG's part would you like to see released next?
Spherical Tension Arm Bushing
20.63%
Front Upper Arms, with Angled Ball Joint Mount
31.75%
Hi-Steer/RCA/Ball Joint combo
17.46%
Adjustable Tension Arms with Spherical/Heim Joints
7.94%
Front Lower Control Arms
15.87%
Rear Upper Control Arms
6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Upcoming FIGS GS Parts, By order of Importance.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 03:16 PM
gs400rpg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj

you can try daniel i dunno what he will tell u...

BTW people please stop PM'ing me (the 3 people who pm'ed me about these) and asking me if you can buy these from me and how much they were. no im not selling you these, if i cant get the arms im sending them back to figs and as i have said many times im not willing to discuss the pricing mike gives me
Only 3 people? Would have figured to have more pm's since its been months we have been waiting and trying to get these parts and now several people have them, including you. Did you really expect people not to ask?

It's easy to say there's not many other good options, yet on the other hand there hasn't been for the past 15 years either. I'm simply saying for those that need the parts now it could be many more months/years before all these parts the OP posted actually get made. In my case I'll simply pick-up some traditional bushings and If/When the entire caster arm is available and I'll change them. If you drove my car down the highway you'd agree, my car does like this guy ->

I know Figs is working hard on all this and with the new shop things should go great.
Old 02-10-12, 03:24 PM
gs400rpg
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Nobody knows yet. The design angles the ball joint down a little bit which will help, it is mainly to relieve the joint angle some, take off a bit of stress and eliminate maxing out the range of motion.

But it all depends on how slammed you are. It is very likely that it is not going completely solve the shock tower problem, but may help people that are right on the borderline height-wise when moderately lowered on coilovers. If your on air and the joint sticks up through the hole you've cut, then there is no way it will be angled down nearly enough to eliminate that.
It seems to me I read figs was also working on a shorter stearing knuckle, with 3 adjustibal positions. This would fix the angle for the ball joint and the lack of space for the arm to travel at the same time. But perhaps this idea was abandoned?
Old 02-10-12, 03:48 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400rpg
It seems to me I read figs was also working on a shorter stearing knuckle, with 3 adjustibal positions. This would fix the angle for the ball joint and the lack of space for the arm to travel at the same time. But perhaps this idea was abandoned?
I must have missed where he was working on a shorter spindle. You got any links to a thread?

Alot of people are scared by a pair of $500 control arms, they'll surely choke on what a pair of cnc'd spindle replacements would be..

It's a pretty common method to section out the top half of a stock spindle, but just don't let any ol'body weld them since they are cast, it can be done if preheated properly, but I would still want them plated as well. It's a mod that air/hydro cars and trucks have been resorting to for years to get the needed clearance. This will change the geometry of the upper and lower arm relationship thru travel and can result in serious bumpsteer or other handling issues. But this is usually a byproduct that is overcome by the desire to layout.
Old 02-10-12, 05:33 PM
gs400rpg
Driver

I must have missed where he was working on a shorter spindle. You got any links to a thread?

Alot of people are scared by a pair of $500 control arms, they'll surely choke on what a pair of cnc'd spindle replacements would be..

It's a pretty common method to section out the top half of a stock spindle, but just don't let any ol'body weld them since they are cast, it can be done if preheated properly, but I would still want them plated as well. It's a mod that air/hydro cars and trucks have been resorting to for years to get the needed clearance. This will change the geometry of the upper and lower arm relationship thru travel and can result in serious bumpsteer or other handling issues. But this is usually a byproduct that is overcome by the desire to layout.
You didn't miss it. I searched everywhere and must have honestly made a mistake. I had spent many hours searching these forums for information a few months ago and my memory failed. I appologise, Figs wasn't working on this...

I had read the topic https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...trol-arms.html

post 1
Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Hey guys, I think my upper ball joints are gonna go pretty soon so I'm in the market for some after market upper control arms that can angle more than the OEM ones or OEM replacement style. My car is on air and every time I slam my car is causes a lot of stress on the upper ball joints. I've for 30mm front RCA's which definitely helps the lower ball joints but I don't want to have to keep changing the uppers. I've been looking at adjustable ones from Nagisa Auto or Ikeya Formula which seem to angle more than the OEM which helps. I also came across these ones which looks like the ball joint is angled a bit so when it is lowered or slammed there would be a lot less stress on the ball joints. I love the concept but I dont love the price at $1100 USD

Maybe this is a job FIGS might want to tackle LOL

Option #2
I've also seen a shop in Japan selling knuckles that looks like they have been shortened so they will not push up the upper control arm up so high. My only concern with these is that they look like the OEM ones that have been cut and welded shorter and my only concern would be the strength and integrity. and would the nut connecting the ball joint touch the top of the tire because it is now shorter.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
So then I must have read this other topic right after and mixed up that when he said knuckle, he said for high-steer not the spindle. And wasn't Figs, it was StarkoS14. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...derings-4.html

Poste #124
Originally Posted by StarkoS14
it's not that easy, I'm already in development of the knuckle for myself, with 3 mounting point options... the main thing to avoid with lowered cars and high-steer knuckles, is the bump steer. its way more annoying than you would ever think when your tie rod is that close to the hub. Depending on how spacers can be used on the tie-rod, there is only so much you can do to correct the geometry when you lower your car. this is why i plan on having 3 mounting points, 1 for cars with springs, the other 2 for slammed cars and a high steering angle option. the rca spacer helps this, but being able to dial in the tie-rod height is the shiz...
Again my bad. Was just me wishing Figs would make a shorter steering knuckle spindle I guess. Sorry.
Old 02-11-12, 09:23 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

HI guys,
Just to clear things up. My intentions for the UCA were to mod my design for the Gen2 IS that I hace been working on to fit the GS dimensions. Given the different use cases for the GS, I am now doing a fully specific design for the GS that will allow position setting of the ball joint angle and camber adjustment in a different way.

I will also do a new lower steering knuckle to reduce bump steer to further compliment the adjustable tie rod ends. It seems there are many that are just running out of angle everywhere, because everything is just too low.

I am working with Brian because he is willing to go through the pain (now seen quite literally) of testing some of these concepts and providing feedback. the last thing I want to do is have a bunch of parts out there and then discover some issues.

Our new shop set things back quote a bit and increased order volumes have not helped get back to things and we are spending most of our time shipping and not designing. I probably answer at least 5 emails a day about when things are going to be released and the answer is I do not have a timeframe until I actually start working on it again.

I will get updates out as soon as I have them.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-12-12, 08:34 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go on sale

Does anybody have any idea when will the FIGS GS caster arm spherical bushing is available for not well connected consumer like us, just kidding folks. Is it still in the testing stage? what is the price range? R&D cost money. BTW, what is up with the polling and voting stuff. LOL. Hell if the "price is right" I buy them all. I am in "Pursuit of Perfection" LOL

Last edited by GS714; 02-12-12 at 08:40 PM. Reason: additional
Old 02-13-12, 08:52 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS714
Does anybody have any idea when will the FIGS GS caster arm spherical bushing is available for not well connected consumer like us, just kidding folks. Is it still in the testing stage? what is the price range? R&D cost money. BTW, what is up with the polling and voting stuff. LOL. Hell if the "price is right" I buy them all. I am in "Pursuit of Perfection" LOL
the man himself posted above you, send him a PM!
Old 02-13-12, 10:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400rpg
Only 3 people? Would have figured to have more pm's since its been months we have been waiting and trying to get these parts and now several people have them, including you. Did you really expect people not to ask?

It's easy to say there's not many other good options, yet on the other hand there hasn't been for the past 15 years either. I'm simply saying for those that need the parts now it could be many more months/years before all these parts the OP posted actually get made. In my case I'll simply pick-up some traditional bushings and If/When the entire caster arm is available and I'll change them. If you drove my car down the highway you'd agree, my car does like this guy ->

I know Figs is working hard on all this and with the new shop things should go great.
yes just 3.....but your the only one who was asking me my prices and for me to sell you my parts. i have made it very clear im not willing to discuss any prices mike gives me. i know im one of the most love to be hated people around here but i do alot more behind the scenes then you think. i test stuff (everything i can get from him), i break stuff (like a control arm and buckle my fender getting stuck downtown at 2 am, not once did i ask mike to buy me a fender or replace it. i know the dangers of being a tester. he offered to pay for the tow but i fixed it myself so i didnt need one), i buy stuff (steering racks/control arms, i have a UCA and other stuff waiting to see if he needs it) to send to him to prototype on so he can make stuff for us.

he's hard working on alot of stuff....but keep in mind its not just for us. he does alot of work for all lexus models and since he owns a ISF that and the IS are the main cars he focuses on from what i can tell (probably cause so much of the IS stuff can be shared through many models)

Originally Posted by FIGS
HI guys,
Just to clear things up. My intentions for the UCA were to mod my design for the Gen2 IS that I hace been working on to fit the GS dimensions. Given the different use cases for the GS, I am now doing a fully specific design for the GS that will allow position setting of the ball joint angle and camber adjustment in a different way.

I will also do a new lower steering knuckle to reduce bump steer to further compliment the adjustable tie rod ends. It seems there are many that are just running out of angle everywhere, because everything is just too low.

I am working with Brian because he is willing to go through the pain (now seen quite literally) of testing some of these concepts and providing feedback. the last thing I want to do is have a bunch of parts out there and then discover some issues.

Our new shop set things back quote a bit and increased order volumes have not helped get back to things and we are spending most of our time shipping and not designing. I probably answer at least 5 emails a day about when things are going to be released and the answer is I do not have a timeframe until I actually start working on it again.

I will get updates out as soon as I have them.
Mike
mike do u need a OEM UCA to see the differences on the GS from the IS models?

yeah the pain this time was due to my stupidity and wont happen again. thumb is still killing me due to the flex of your finger so its not healing well lol

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE

any luck with LKQ mike? mine locally is no help. i have a few contacts on my laptop at the house i will start trying this week if we cant secure any.also i keep asking if anyone can get a 2001+ passenger arm i still need one for FIGS to make our 2001+ models i will buy it from you to do this. just need it not to be bent

i have now 2 sets of 98-2000 castor arms im supposed to be getting but as i said before until they in my hands im not counting on either.

if i can get this set i def will do a step by step DIY on the spherical bushings install. buying some Loctite 620 bearing retaining compound today mike said we only need 10ml but im gonna buy a bigger bottle since i will eventually need some for my 2001+ arms.the day i get a set of 98-2000 arms i will start working on this just be patient.
Old 02-13-12, 01:13 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

still waiting for 3 dismantlers and LKQ to get back to me. LKQ doesnt have the caster arms in the system....so my buddy is trying to see if they have a 01+ GS they can pull them from that wasn't crashed in the front.
Old 02-13-12, 02:19 PM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have some OEM caster arms that dont have the bushings in them from my 99 if one of you guys need them.
Old 02-13-12, 04:44 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am lost

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
AMSMike you lost me there. Can you please be more specific. Thanks.
Old 02-13-12, 06:43 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I got my 98-00 bushings today, and I got a 99 with 99 arms in it, so no compatibility problems there, but the loctite I ordered isn't here yet. So maybe by the end of the week I be able to get a chance to install these and give some feedback.

Uh, I think he meant Figs posted directly above you, and to just contact figs with specific questions..
Old 02-13-12, 08:19 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Uh, I think he meant Figs posted directly above you, and to just contact figs with specific questions..
That's correct
Old 02-13-12, 08:45 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm excited for all this. I'm like a kid on Christmas day just waiting to open presents.

These bushings along with his Sway Bar End Links F/R & TRD Sways are first in line for my suspension upgrades.
Old 02-14-12, 10:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Well I got my 98-00 bushings today, and I got a 99 with 99 arms in it, so no compatibility problems there, but the loctite I ordered isn't here yet. So maybe by the end of the week I be able to get a chance to install these and give some feedback.
i got my arms in today....lets see if i can press these bad boys out without taking off my hand lol.

my loctite will be in tomorrow, loctite recommends cleaning them with their "Loctite Pro Strength Cleaner # 30548" before applying the bearing compound.

BTW guys FIGS says we'll need a 10ml bottle but they make a 36ml bottle which i will probably buy since i will eventually be doing a second set of arms

you can get these from a local Fastenal if you have them in town

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0150216
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0150536

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I'm excited for all this. I'm like a kid on Christmas day just waiting to open presents.
me too....gonna start working on these wednesday and try to finish my DIY before i leave for south beach 2/22-2/28 for my 30th birthday

when i get my 2001+ models i bet we all can guess the color i will be powdercoating them (unless FIGS installs them for me then im not gonna remove them to powdercoat them)

Quick Reply: Upcoming FIGS GS Parts, By order of Importance.....