Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC angle mods!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 01:11 AM
danegerous
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC angle mods!

Swung by my favorite race shop today to find out that Parts Shop Max is offering a knuckle for the Soarer chassis at this point. It's not a whole new piece, they mod your own knuckle. I believe it is around $200 or so which isn't bad and doesn't need any peripherals. If you've ever built a drift car you know how tedious it can be doing angle mods, for instance my FC knuckles were $450 themselves, required aftermarket tie rods and bumpsteer adjusters. I am uber pumped on this and will post pics when I get it done. As of now only one car has the set (bigwave dave) and I just can't contain my joy. One of the best mods you can do for drifting and what do you know it's cheap! I'll badger dave for pics from the HTM event he's doing next month so we can get a pic in action.

Another reason I'm pumped is I've been looking into this, it's a necessary mod sooner or later if you drift and all I was able to find were one-off jobs and aftermarket tierods. Short of the Satoru Works knuckle which I believe is $1500 there just wasn't any options. And out of the blue I showed up to PSM to shoot the ***** before dinner and boom. Showed me the jig and everything.

Sorry I'm all giddy...this is just great news for those who need these sorts of mods. Getting a solid angle set up is def one of the Soarer challenges but for now it looks like it may be solved!
Old 01-05-12, 08:04 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

yea almost any good fab guy locally should be able to set you up with modded knuckles for increased angle. you can also use steering rack spacers if you need any more than that

heres some pics of them in action

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...yesterday.html

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  22.8 KB

but yea get before and after pics of the knuckles themselves. Id like to see!
Old 01-05-12, 08:40 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yea, Alex at BattleVersion did mine for me. Im using those and Super now Super cutters and ive got so much angle im rubbing on the sway bar and the upper control arm.
Old 01-05-12, 09:06 AM
Phamtom
Rookie

Originally Posted by greens14
yea almost any good fab guy locally should be able to set you up with modded knuckles for increased angle. you can also use steering rack spacers if you need any more than that
Are those pictures of your car with both the knuckles modded AND the rack spacers or just one of the two?
Old 01-05-12, 10:49 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

these are about $400. not sure who makes them though.

Old 01-05-12, 11:42 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, both pbm and bver have been offering this service for a while now. I'll probably be having alex at bver shorten my knuckles sometime in the future in addition to something like a uras inner tie rod, but for now, i've just added steering rack spacers.
Old 01-05-12, 12:39 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

alex will ask you what your setup is and he will taylor his knuckles to the setup your running to get you the best angle possible.
Old 01-05-12, 12:49 PM
danegerous
Rookie

It's not just about angle dudes, there's Ackerman and other stuff involved. Anyone cann cut and weld Knucks Psm just started offering the soarer set up (went through them for almost all my fab work on my Fc) and I didn't know Alex was doing angle stuff. I thought his sc was sold or just sitting around

Martin is a rad fabricator, you guys should see the stuff he's done to his own car
Old 01-06-12, 06:27 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

noting really against PSM, but ive see alot of their stuff broken at welds for me to consider getting some thing so critical like knuckles done by them.
Old 01-06-12, 09:01 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem would be the cutting and welding of a cast part like that, There is no way I would trust my life to that.
Old 01-06-12, 06:00 PM
danegerous
Rookie

Originally Posted by Biggu
noting really against PSM, but ive see alot of their stuff broken at welds for me to consider getting some thing so critical like knuckles done by them.
What sort of stuff have you seen break?
Old 01-06-12, 08:02 PM
sclee00
Rookie

where is this shop, ive been looking to do this mod
Old 01-07-12, 12:28 AM
danegerous
Rookie

poweredebymax.net

they're in San Diego, same street as Autofashion
Old 01-09-12, 06:10 AM
afro88
Driver School Candidate

I'll be getting knuckles done soon. Just torn between having Alex or the dudes at PBM do them.

About welding on cast..... pretty much anyone who drifts and has insane angle is running cut and welded knuckles, including most D1 and FD cars. Been in this scene for 9 years and never heard of anyones knuckles breaking due to weak welds on cast.
Old 01-09-12, 06:44 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you weld cast which is kind of a no no it is a ticking time bomb so to speak as casting is a dirty proscess so a weld can not properly stick but it may be ok for a while or forever even as long as there is not a whole lot of strain on it however I my self would never trust my life to that at high speeds,

Quick Reply: SC angle mods!