Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Pedal Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-04, 02:43 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Brake Pedal Sticks

Help!!! I have a 2000 Lexus GS300 Platinum Series, the car has 64K, and I've had it since it was new. I had the pads replaced and rotors turned last Thanksgiving because I felt my breaks stared sticking. After that was done same problem, you push on the pedal and it sticks before releases. I had this done at a Lexus Dealer here in MD, and called them back they went ahead and replaced the Brake Fluid. Which I personally think should have been done when brake pads were replaced and rotors turned. Now pedal is better but it still sticks. Any suggestions? Master Cylinder? ABS?
Old 06-01-04, 10:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well first of all i don't think you need to bleed when you change pads, though at a certain time i thin it's warranted. but i still can't think of much reason why it's sticking though
Old 06-02-04, 05:55 AM
Bruce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... since Thanksgiving?

Do your brakes stick in a way that it coninues to slow or stops the vehicle even after lifting off pedal?
- or -
Your pedal stays down after stepping off pedal? While pedal stays down, is the vehicle able to roll or accelerate?

No "abs" or "trac" lights I presume? You need to be a little more specific, but an easy check would be...above your brake pedal where it pivots, is there a spring attached?
Old 06-02-04, 07:32 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Question

Let me clarify:

When I push the brake pedal it brakes fine now, and doesn't feel spongy like before they replaced the brake fluid. But when you release the pedal after braking the pedal it doesn't smoothly release back, it sticks quickly and then releases. I don't think it still keeps braking when it sticks. It's just very unpleasant, and I am very meticulous about my GS and want it fixed. When the dealership last looked at my car and gave me a loaner ES300 to drive around I could quickly tell you that that brake pedal felt normal. You push on it and it comes up as soon as you release. I don't know how else to explain, any ideas anyone can give me in what to try would be greatly appreciated. This is the second Lexus I've owned, I had a 92 SC300, and have never had a problem with those brakes and I sold that one when it had like 115K on it.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-04, 12:42 PM
Bruce
Driver School Candidate

So that you know, I'd be pretty damn impressed with whoever figures this out without looking at the car, so it's important that you tell me what your seeing, not what you've been told.
With the understanding that ABS, TRAC, etc...warning lights are functioning and do not indicate any problems I can eliminate several possibilities (they should light up before starting if not they are not functioning or light bulb is out)

Brakes feel firmer but no change in sticking... we can eliminate hydraulic possibility... at least for now.

Next with key off depress brake pedal several times pedal distance should stay same. > Depress and hold pedal down, then start engine...pedal should smoothly move down a little. > After 1-2 minutes, shut off engine. Depress pedal several times, slowly... 1st push goes down farthest, the pedal should stop higher on 2nd or 3rd push. If all is good we can eliminate the brake booster possibility.

Hmmm... I'd like to buy a vowel please?

Okay I'm outta time so here goes... From what you've said, considering your location and weather, I can safely assume 2 possibilities. You must have a considerable amount of corrosion or rust build up. The metal dust from pads and rotors gets in the smallest of holes and easily becomes rusted dust. The calipers or pads should squeeze in and out along 2 sliding pins/rods smoothly. The pins or rods have small round "shock like" dust boots which keep special lithium grease contained and keep out dirt and corrosion. This allows continued smooth sliding as brakes are pressed and released. I doubt pistons are sticking since pressing brakes is smooth.

When releasing brakes, a "V" or "N" shaped wire-spring between the pads, forces the pads apart . This isn't a strong spring and a little corrosion on the slides will make it difficult for the spring to push both pads apart smoothly upon release. Failure to re-install these springs is quite common as well and I guess could go un-noticed if the grease and slides stay clean.

So, either slides are corroded or the "V" or "N" shaped wire spring is dead or missing. I'd inspect the front brakes first...

Last edited by Bruce; 06-02-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 09:29 PM
whytry
Advanced

Did we ever find out what happened and how to fix this? I am having this problem now. The pedal sticks the bottom when I go to let off and accelerate. It is noticable to me but not to the passengers. Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-05, 06:15 AM
levinsoy
Driver

I actually took the car back to the Lexus dealer here in Baltimore MD (Len Stoler Lexus), and the guys there are the best. They looked at everything that has been done to fix the problem and went ahead and replaced the brake cylinder under warranty for me. That fixed the problem. They could not recreate the problem after numerous tries but trusted me enough to go ahead and fix it. They figured that there was possibly an air bubble somewhere in there and went ahead and replaced the brake cylinder. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! It has been over a year now since this has been done, and problem has not returned. Thanks to all the posters here that helped me isolate this problem.

Len Stoler Lexus - best Lexus dealer in MD hands down!!!!
Old 01-15-08, 08:42 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

re-hashing an old thread-

whytry - did you get this resolved? Was it the same cylinder problem as levinsoy had? My car just started doing this and it's f'n annoying.

Anyone else encounter this problem and get it resolved? Care to share the resolution if so?

Last edited by Euphoric; 01-15-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 04:59 PM
b2bomber
Driver School Candidate

Same problem here for a 01 GS430 with 100k miles. I noticed there is a hydraulic cylinder of some kind connecting the brake pedal to the firewall then there's the master brake cylinder in the engine compartment. Which one needs to be replaced? It's rather annoying as the car hesitant, slow it self down for a split second more and especially during stop/go traffic, during a turn as you don't always come to a full stop being picking back up again. PLEASE HELP..!!!!

Last edited by b2bomber; 01-25-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 02:14 AM
kayuwong
Rookie

Default 2004 gs300 90k same problem

Anyone know what cause the occasional brake paddle stick? I did experience tonite, I braked the paddle like crazy and vsc and abs and some other light up for a few second then back off to normal. Could it be a dirty abs booster motor unit? I checked the forum, booster motor is a common problem for GS. just like ordinary e-motor, brush and armature could have carbon build up after period of time. Thinking to open up that sucker and sprayer some electronics cleaner in there. Any inputs guy?
Old 07-25-13, 03:42 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kayuwong
Anyone know what cause the occasional brake paddle stick? I did experience tonite, I braked the paddle like crazy and vsc and abs and some other light up for a few second then back off to normal. Could it be a dirty abs booster motor unit? I checked the forum, booster motor is a common problem for GS. just like ordinary e-motor, brush and armature could have carbon build up after period of time. Thinking to open up that sucker and sprayer some electronics cleaner in there. Any inputs guy?
I wouldn't play with my (or your) safety Get a professional to take care of it.
Old 04-21-23, 04:44 PM
hcfmax
1st Gear

Default Brake pedal sticks

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would chime in.
I have an '01 GS300 and was experiencing the same issue. Then one day, I was holding down the brake pedal while turning the ignition on. I heard a servo motor and felt the pedal pushing back against my foot. After that happened, the pedal "stickiness" issue went away. If I don't hold down the pedal while turning on the ignition, I slowly get the same stickiness issue over time.
So, while I don't quite understand what's going on, it seem to be keeping my brakes working normally. Just to be clear, I never had an issue with the brakes not working; only that the pedal would stick down if I did a light application of the brakes. If I pushed the pedal all the way down for a full stop, the pedal would always return as normal. It only stuck down when doing a partial brake application--like slowing down for traffic or a turn. But now, if I hold the pedal down while turning the ignition on, I will occasionally hear the servo motor and feel the pedal push back. But regardless, as long as I do hold down the brake pedal while turning on the ignition, the brake pedal does not stick and returns even after a light application of the brakes.