Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

After installing lower springs, is this normal?

Old 12-17-11, 07:30 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default After installing lower springs, is this normal?

So I installed lowering springs almost a month ago and I'm just wondering a few things. The springs drop the car 1.6" front and 0.8" rear. For some odd reason, the front passenger side is less than a finger gap while the others are 1.5 finger gap. I'm sure the install I did was right though. When driving the car now, every time I hit a pothole or speed bump, there's clunking sounds that I never heard with the factory springs. Does it just need to settle first or what?
Old 12-17-11, 07:38 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On TEIN S-Tech springs the drop should lean towards the drivers side more than the passenger.

It should be a little under a finger gap at the drivers side and about a finger gap on the passenger side. If you don't mind me asking what exact procedure did you use to install your springs?

The only thing I can think of is that the springs aren't seated right in the shock seat, that or the top hats aren't on right. Another big issue is pre-load, if you didn't preload the suspension and reset the bushings before torquing your bolts you make be experiencing a side effect of this.

I can tell you that from the day I installed new shocks and new TEIN springs on my IS, the drop hasn't changed. It is exactly like day one, low and it never needed to settle since I preloaded the suspension using the correct procedure.
Old 12-17-11, 07:45 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XhyDra
On TEIN S-Tech springs the drop should lean towards the drivers side more than the passenger.

It should be a little under a finger gap at the drivers side and about a finger gap on the passenger side. If you don't mind me asking what exact procedure did you use to install your springs?

The only thing I can think of is that the springs aren't seated right in the shock seat, that or the top hats aren't on right. Another big issue is pre-load, if you didn't preload the suspension and reset the bushings before torquing your bolts you make be experiencing a side effect of this.

I can tell you that from the day I installed new shocks and new TEIN springs on my IS, the drop hasn't changed. It is exactly like day one, low and it never needed to settle since I preloaded the suspension using the correct procedure.
Mine aren't the S-Techs. I was about to buy them but then I saw another brand called Hotchkis which makes sway bars for the IS sell their springs for $100 cheaper but with the same exact specs. Same spring rates and drop heights.

The procedure I followed was the instructions on Sewell Parts where they had instructions for installing the F-Sport springs. I can't remember exactly but it was the three bolts on top, loosen the nut, the bolt on the control arm, then the two bolts on the knuckle. Then it the shocks would come out. The springs are seated properly though.

Regarding resetting the bushings, not sure how to do that. I did preload it by jacking up the control arm and torquing the bolts to 80-100? lbs.
Old 12-17-11, 07:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Mine aren't the S-Techs. I was about to buy them but then I saw another brand called Hotchkis which makes sway bars for the IS sell their springs for $100 cheaper but with the same exact specs. Same spring rates and drop heights.

The procedure I followed was the instructions on Sewell Parts where they had instructions for installing the F-Sport springs. I can't remember exactly but it was the three bolts on top, loosen the nut, the bolt on the control arm, then the two bolts on the knuckle. Then it the shocks would come out. The springs are seated properly though.

Regarding resetting the bushings, not sure how to do that. I did preload it by jacking up the control arm and torquing the bolts to 80-100? lbs.
It's in the sticky thread at the top of the suspension section:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html
Old 12-17-11, 08:16 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's in the sticky thread at the top of the suspension section:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html
Thanks for the link, but what exactly is "bushing reset"?
Old 12-17-11, 08:57 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

You didn't loosen the sway bar linkage? Some people do that and don't tighten it back to spec which causes clunking up front. As for the uneven search most spring get that uneven drop up front.

Last edited by Sffd103; 12-18-11 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-18-11, 01:45 AM
panda_ek9
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same effect after installing the S-techs.. 3 months later and my car is still uneven in the drop.. it sucks...
Old 12-18-11, 04:36 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't the uneven drop because part of the car is heaver than the other and its expecting the driver's weight to balance it out?

I could be wrong.
Old 12-18-11, 09:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Thanks for the link, but what exactly is "bushing reset"?
That is described in post #8 in the thread I linked to