Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!

Old 01-09-12, 12:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
II'm about to part out my car
WHY henry? and what you got i want? hit me up on PM about the parts seriously...
Old 01-09-12, 07:45 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you want something stiffer than what you have now...but you want something softer because you feel every crack in the road?

You may want to decide which direction you want to go wit this.
Old 01-09-12, 09:19 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

like mentioned before: get the trd sways, srut bars, lower chassis braces and 6 link, them worry about "fine tuning" the springs. with those upgrades it will eliminate alot of the body roll or flex. if every bump already feels like a speed bump it will only get worse and more noticeable with a higher spring rate.
Old 01-10-12, 09:53 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember a member here with the V8 2GS Vertex was running Stance and he said the 14/10k was too soft.

Another member that slides his 2GS is running 20k/16k stance or something ridiculous like that.

It is a more of the valving on the coilovers itself. I'm trying to find a coilover which has proper valving for my needs.

@CircuitMS, yes. The car is very nose heavy when braking, but going over the most tiny bumps it is stiff. The rebound on the coilovers aren't great for absorbing bumps and I want a coilover that has better rebound dampening.

Doing some research, i MAY have found a coilover that suits me.

Old 01-12-12, 09:29 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I would have to disagree with that. Swift is not pure advertisement. I ran Eibach and I'm currently on Swift. They hold their spring rates much better over thousands of miles.

Hypercoil is the only spring that can match Swift's consistency in spring rate. Both companies make great springs and you can't go wrong with either, but I chose Swift because I can get the same spring rate and coil length without having as many windings. My springs use to bind with Eibach until I switched to Swift.

I work at an aerospace test laboratory where we have a spring rate testing equipment. When I first bought my Swift, I had it tested from full length (6") down to where the coils were almost binding, and the spring rate were no more than +/- 5lbs/in from what they were advertised.

Believe me, I am a guy who cares very little for advertisement. Hard concrete numbers are the only things I'm after. The Swift passed, thus I'm running them. Had they sucked on my spring dyno, I would have tossed them.

I'm about to part out my car, which means I'm probably going to dyno these springs again to see how consistent they are. But something tells me they're going to end up very close, if not the same as when I first tested them.
Greg, from a engineering perspective and having worked with race teams day in and out, we use what is proven to us. In that case, we use Hyperco and Eibach in every car we build. I'm not sure why everyone claims Swift springs were so consistent yet no major teams run them. When I'm talking about Eibach springs, I'm not talking about the off the shelf stuff that your local race shop carries, we're talking about custom coil springs built to exact specification. I'd be interested in the data you get once you tear apart your coils and redyno them. Like you, I'm all about concrete data and don't care for brand names.
Old 01-13-12, 01:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Hyperco and Eibach are more popular for one major reason. They have been around for DECADES where as Swift was established in the late 90s. Swift doesn't really offer any sponsorship so race teams aren't interested. Hyperco and Eibach springs are good enough that many teams won't deviate from their favorite brands. Swift is not leaps and bounds better than the rest, nor are they any worse. BMW M3 vs Lexus IS-F... Think of Swift as the IS-F. It hasn't had enough time to establish a history, nor will many M3 race car owners jump ship.

Trust me I once doubted Swift. I was a Hyperco guy first, then everything else 5th, but I have no problem running Swift springs on my car. They aren't going to shave 10 seconds off your lap, but Swift never claimed that either. If you do not care for brand name, you should have no problem giving the Swift springs a try. They are not bad springs at all.

Though none of those brands can hold a candle to some of the aerospace-grade springs I've seen tested at my facility. Ridiculously linear I tell you..
Old 01-13-12, 09:49 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

DG-5's use swift springs. and almost every D1 and FD car at one point ran these coilovers. for what its worth
Old 01-16-12, 02:37 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tein Flex's spring rates for the 2GS is 16/12...try that if you want more stiff than your Stance 14/10 spring rates.
Old 01-16-12, 08:45 PM
duckJAI
Driver

I think I'll be trying Fortune Auto 510s as I've heard REALLY good things about their digressive dampening. They've improved their dampening even moreso, and will be releasing their v2 at the end of this month.

Some people on different platforms like Evos and S2ks have said they almost feel as well dampened like KW V3s.

I'm not looking for just stiff, I'm also looking at the performance of the dampening that coilovers can give. I don't want a go-kart stiff-like ride.

I'll probably get 16/12k with Swift springs on the Fortune Auto 510s, or maybe 18k/14k....
Old 01-16-12, 09:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Most coilovers nowadays are tuned with a digressive curve. It's less upsetting on high speed bumps.

Fortune Auto started out with junky coilovers, but it looks like they've improved.
Old 01-17-12, 09:07 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

you really need to look into other chassis stiffining parts, do you have any other mods besides coilovers?
Old 01-18-12, 09:14 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
you really need to look into other chassis stiffining parts, do you have any other mods besides coilovers?
Seriously, this discussion is so backwards. You're doing it all wrong duckJAI. There aren't any magic coilovers that are gonna give you a well-balanced suspension. It's a combination of many parts contributing. All you've got is a set of coilovers right now... why don't you start upgrading the rest of the suspension before wasting your money? Get TRD blues, poly-bushings, front/rear STB, chassis brace, 6-links, etc... Then let's hear about how soft it is.
Old 01-19-12, 08:02 PM
duckJAI
Driver

Why would I want to upgrade chassis mods when the suspension component is the biggest moving object on the vehicle that directly correlates to how the car drives?

If the suspension is the weakest underperforming link, why would I want to upgrade anything other than that?

All the mods you've listed are great links for fine-tuning the rigidty of the chassis....doesn't necessarily mean it will perform well though.

And if you read the past few posts, I'm not looking for just a STIFF ride. I guess what I'm really looking for is a well performed shock damper in a coilover setup. I want something that will be able to ABSORB the bumps in the roads, low speed AND high speed but also be firm when needed to be (heavy braking and hard turns)

Last edited by duckJAI; 01-19-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 11:08 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^people on here just don't understand how crappy our roads are in Canada from frost heave, and how cold our winters are....and of course, how coilovers perform in -20C.

You always start with a decent set of coilovers and then go from there. Having a crappy coilover that gives you a crappy ride and crappy handling will always be crappy no matter how much chassis bracing, bushings, and magical chassis parts you add.
Old 01-20-12, 04:57 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bippu147
^people on here just don't understand how crappy our roads are in Canada from frost heave, and how cold our winters are....and of course, how coilovers perform in -20C.

You always start with a decent set of coilovers and then go from there. Having a crappy coilover that gives you a crappy ride and crappy handling will always be crappy no matter how much chassis bracing, bushings, and magical chassis parts you add.
Stance coilovers are not crap... Far from crap. They are more than just decent coilovers. They might not be what he is looking for, but they're not crap.

Sorry, just had to say it.

"But the big thing in why I want to upgrade is I want a coilover I can run in the winter, and do some aggressive driving as well.

I plan on doing some hard driving and maybe some drifting (once I drop in the 2JZ-GTE) and I already have a TRD 1.5way diff installed. "

Also those were his words, and i've said it once. Stance can handle 'aggressive driving' and 'drifting'. I have a boy that's been running them for years now and he turns sideways in his GS no problem. They're built for strain. From these words it's like he's saying they can't handle aggressive driving, when in fact they can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to upgrade my coilovers...currently on Stance. Need something more aggressive!