Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

End my debate [on S-tech vs H-techs] once and for all!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 06:08 PM
TuscaniLuv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End my debate [on S-tech vs H-techs] once and for all!

To begin, I'm ready to drop my car on some new Tein springs. My 350 is my DD and I put approximately 225 miles on it per week. I want to close the fender gap, but don't want to make my 350 impractical to the point of scraping on everything (Been there done that with a bodykit on my 350Z). I also don't want to go so low that I will have to worry about a realignment and excess wear on my tires.

I was originally going to go with the H Techs, but am worried about not being pleased by the overall drop. I'm leaning towards the S Techs, but am concerned about scraping and excessive tire wear. I'm ready to purchase these, but I would like to hear everyones input.

Here's the specs for each.
S Tech: 1.6"F, 1.2"R; Spring rates 6.5F/6.8R
H Tech: 1.0"F, 0.6"R; Spring rates 6F/6.3R

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Last edited by TuscaniLuv; 11-17-11 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 06:18 PM
pasay
Driver School Candidate

Get Coilovers instead so you can adjust to the Height that you want.
I got a KW V3 Coilover
Pricey but worth it.. lifetime warranty!
Old 11-17-11, 06:54 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I would love a set of $2k coilovers but way outside my budget. For me I want to drop it and forget it. Tusacniluv, I don't know how low the h-techs drop but I'm on eibachs at 1.4 front 1.0 rear. Look how my car sits in the thread titled "f-sport springs only vs sport springs sport shocks" I don't scrape on much, I daily drive my car too through a bumpy up and down canyon road and no issues. I corrected my camber wear issue by alternative means, spc ball joints. Seems to do the trick. I just got an alignment today and all is good. S-techs are 1.6" and 1.2" I think, not too much lower than mine. Anyhow I hope this helps if you got questions please feel free to ask.
Old 11-17-11, 08:32 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

tein springs sag in the rear, is get a set of megan ez coil overs or if you have to go springs get fsport, or h&r, heard good things about eibach as well
Old 11-17-11, 08:45 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't go wrong with h&rs or stechs imo if your budget is springs.
Old 11-18-11, 07:17 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dont listen to the coil guys. if you are looking for a "set it and forget it", easy drop for your DD, then simply go with tein S. im dropped on tein s and never spent the money to re-align. all good. happy with the results. i scrape occasionally, but no damage that meets the eye. the tein s clears parking curbs by about a quarter inch, so it is the perfect drop in my book.

if you have a tight budget, then youll be kicking yourself for H techs, bc you will barely notice the difference, and others will not be the wiser that you even dropped at all.

road magnets have a solid drop as well, 2" all around. thats probably too low for you.
Old 11-18-11, 09:07 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as both of those spring models are concerned, I would recommend the TEIN S-Tech over the H-Tech. They don't dramatically lower your car to the point that you'd be scraping all over the place, they're practical and the only thing you'd need to be careful on is steep driveways and dips. They're easy to drive around with, a lot stiffer than OEM but they don't sacrifice the ride quality. Some complain about the drop, but those same people have a hard time understanding what preloading a suspension does.

Overall they lower the car a lot nicer than Eibach, Tanabe or F-Sports, very comparable to H&R. You can get a set for a very good price with some of the vendors here. You really can't go wrong with them, the handling is better and the car feels a lot more stable and centered.

Although coilovers are nice, and do offer many advantages over progressive springs, they're not always suitable for a daily driver and are not necessary if your budget doesn't allow for the upgraded luxury. You don't compromise much with springs, just make sure you have them installed correctly and most of all make sure they pre-load the suspension before torqueing to spec. Some shops have a hard time understanding this concept and how important it is to prevent shock & bushing failure. On top of all it "settles" your suspension, so you don't need to wait weeks before your car looks lowered.
Old 11-18-11, 09:23 AM
TuscaniLuv
Driver

Thanks for the opinions so far. As stated on the op, I'm only looking at springs at this time.
Old 11-18-11, 11:14 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sounds like you are really looking for a good amount of "drop" for your ride. If you went with H-techs you'll probably be disappointed. However, is you at all want an OEM-feel ride quality...that's where the H-techs are king. Have them on my Civic right now; dropped about a inch all around and the ride quality is exactly like the OEMs.
Old 11-18-11, 12:01 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra
As far as both of those spring models are concerned, I would recommend the TEIN S-Tech over the H-Tech. They don't dramatically lower your car to the point that you'd be scraping all over the place, they're practical and the only thing you'd need to be careful on is steep driveways and dips. They're easy to drive around with, a lot stiffer than OEM but they don't sacrifice the ride quality. Some complain about the drop, but those same people have a hard time understanding what preloading a suspension does.

Overall they lower the car a lot nicer than Eibach, Tanabe or F-Sports, very comparable to H&R. You can get a set for a very good price with some of the vendors here. You really can't go wrong with them, the handling is better and the car feels a lot more stable and centered.

Although coilovers are nice, and do offer many advantages over progressive springs, they're not always suitable for a daily driver and are not necessary if your budget doesn't allow for the upgraded luxury. You don't compromise much with springs, just make sure you have them installed correctly and most of all make sure they pre-load the suspension before torqueing to spec. Some shops have a hard time understanding this concept and how important it is to prevent shock & bushing failure. On top of all it "settles" your suspension, so you don't need to wait weeks before your car looks lowered.
most informative post in this thread so far.

my experience was the same with XhyDra when my 2is was on s-techs, and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend s-techs to other 2is owners looking for aftermarket springs.

i never had the clunking (a la f-sport) or the supposed "sagging" issues (that others
claim to exist); it ultimately boils down to how qualified and capable your installer is.
Old 11-18-11, 06:02 PM
TuscaniLuv
Driver

Which vendors sell the S-Techs?
Old 11-20-11, 08:35 AM
TuscaniLuv
Driver

Bump on who to the purchase these from
Old 11-20-11, 10:07 PM
Scalene
Driver

check the vendors section, thay have it there or if you want it cheaper, post in the classifieds, there are a lot of people selling their s-tech springs there. Have fun and good luck with your choice.