Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Getting LBJs/Tierods done, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 10:40 PM
Xylophone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting LBJs/Tierods done, have some questions.

Just dropped my car off at a local shop after it started clunking really badly (turning while parked/at low speeds, when in drive braking to a stop, and when going over bumps at 15-40mph) and the car felt way too loose. That said,

How long will new lower balljoints and tierods last without new control arm no. 2s/caster arm bushings? I already ordered the Daizen Control Arm kit from TM Engineering a few days ago, and don't expect it to come until a few weeks from now. Will the new balljoints last long enough until Spring with a bad set of caster arms? By then I'll hopefully have a tax return in hand and a set of Daizen Control Arm/Steering Rack bushings.

What is average shop time/difficulty to do balljoints/tierods on these cars? I keep seeing anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours in the DIY writeups. I hope its not going to take too long but the bottom of the car looks kinda rusty.

Is Moog a good aftermarket brand with our cars? I've heard Mevotechs are made in China, and I would buy Lexus OEM but my options are either a Auto Parts Warehouse or the dealer right now. I know Honda guys swear by Moog, but I have NO IDEA about their balljoints for our cars and can't find many threads about them. Are they at least equivalent?

Thanks
Old 11-17-11, 06:43 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm sure a lot of different factors come into play when you ask questions regarding new parts interacting with old parts. But I can tell you that my lbj were replaced in 07 at 100k on my 98 gs. They are still ok, but now the new lbj have been working together with my worn caster bushings since then. I don't hear noises but I do have a small shimmy at 67 mph and my braking sucks. I'm getting the poly bushings and installing rca's and new ksport suspension and...ls400 bbk. So, a lot will be replaced but not my ball joints. I worry everyday about them so I may put the drop on hold and just order oem joints. I would recommend moog for our cars, too many members have negative feedback on them.
Old 11-17-11, 06:45 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean I wouldn't recommend moog. Sorry.
Old 12-05-11, 05:22 PM
TRBOSQRL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

moog is junk,oem is the best
Old 12-05-11, 07:25 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had moog lbjs for less than a year and drive the car a few times a month lol and the boots were ripped. And when I took them out. The joints were very loose. But now I got oem much better!
Old 12-07-11, 10:32 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

just buy from Sewell with your CL user name for discount. prices are pretty good.

Aftermarket is cheaper since they usually tend to use lower grade metal on their parts along with poor finish to resist corrosion n what not.
Old 12-09-11, 08:05 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
just buy from Sewell with your CL user name for discount. prices are pretty good.

Aftermarket is cheaper since they usually tend to use lower grade metal on their parts along with poor finish to resist corrosion n what not.
I can't connect to Sewell's parts online database anymore. Keep getting an error message. Are you or anyone else having this issue? Do they have a new link?