Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 05:59 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?

Sup all, been a while. Figured an I would investigate this issue again.

My brakes rattle. How do I know. I do all my mech work. Some of you know me, so some know i speak truth. I just did a long search, and it doesn't seem that I've seen an answer. So here we go.

OK my 01 GS430 has been suffering from brake rattle over bumps. Brake rattle for sure, because I can nail the same bump, but even with light brake pressure, no rattle. I've confirmed this over the past two weeks. Sometimes something happens to the pads that it doesn't do this for a while, and windows closed, you can't hear it. You know how they say, if you can't hear it, ... it doesn't seem to annoy you.

And before some of you say, balljoints, sway, control arm, any other arms, NO. All has been checked. And when I say slight brake pressure, I mean slight enough not to slow down. So slight that the suspension cannot possibly tense up from this brake force eliminating any play. Anyway, I have replaced/upgraded all of the suspension with stock joints, daizen bushings, the works.

I am pretty sure the entire system being stiffer makes this problem more pronounced, but still, slight brake pressure alleviates the problem.

I also see a lot of GSs on the streets, and started paying attention. NYC by the way. A lot of us suffer from this, and might not even realize.

Ok, so I tried it with different pads. Sometimes i don't have this problem. Sometimes I do. For example Axis Ultimates didn't do this. Second set I got though did. Axis also ate up the rotors pretty fast, so I decided to switch. Hawk HPS pads seem to do it all the time. And you can install the fit kit into them. They have the holes at the top of the pad. I did the install, and they are deff
there.

I wasn't able to fit the backing plates when installing, and have a feeling that this is actually the problem. We switch pads, we don't use OEM, and those damn plates don't fit. So our mechanics, or ourselves, end up not using them.

1. So I am thinking of trying a solution before I tear into this hard core. I let my brakes wear down now. I was thinking of taking off the caliper, and fitting those backing plates. Has anyone found this to be the solution to their problem?

2. Has anyone found another solution to this specific problem?

3. And how many of you actually suffer from this. Seriously I know a bunch of you must be experiencing this, maybe you don't even realize "What that noise is". Try listening for that "rattle noise" when applying the brake lightly. Try it a couple of time, you will hear the pads make contact with the rotor that's when you stop pressing the brake and just hold it. If the rattle goes away, you are in the same boat with me.

Thanks.

P.S. I figured this stay here instead of the Brake section because we need a fix. And this will attract more people here.

P.P.S Sorry for the long *** thread. Wow, glad I know how to type. lol.
Old 10-25-11, 06:20 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like your dead set it's the pads, and if it bothers you that much then just get oem pads online, they aren't that expensive. You mention the backing plates but what about the little antirattle spring clips are they installed as well? I had a rattle on a rear pad on my GS when I first got it and the clip wasn't seated right. It's a light tingy rattle sound for lack of a better description.

If it's not the pads, just to throw out ideas I've had a brake rattle on 2 different cars in the past (not theGS) that turned out to be a loose caliper bolt. Similar symptoms and frustrating to find.

It would make a louder more solid clunk/rattle over a bump, but if there the slightest pressure applied to the brakes it would never make the noise. And when rolling slow if I tap the pedal real quick and sharp it would clunk.

I had checked the caliper by hand and it would not shake or move one bit. But I retorqued the caliper mounting bolts to the spindle and the bolts tightened a little more. Problem solved both times.

It seemed if the caliper wasn't torqued completely the weight/motion of the car would make it jiggle that fraction of a mm that made a noise.

Not saying that is your issue, but it seems your looking for ideas so I would at least make sure the caliper-to-spindle bolts are tight.
Old 10-25-11, 06:38 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 99. That is a good place to start. You know, I will do that, and see what happens. Actually better than taking the whole **** apart. I don't think so because I torque them to something ridiculous, but will try it. And I hope that fixes it. Would be simple.

Oh and I am not really concerned with price of the pads. I don't like the OE pad's performance.

But good reply. Thanks.
Old 10-25-11, 06:51 PM
SlowGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i usually get a clunking noise when slowing down or slowing down into a bump.( sortof like a clunking/ squeking.) changed most front end suspension. ( ball joint, tie rods, caster arms, stabilizer endlinks, and brake pads and rotors) i think it might be my brakes.. will try retorqing them like 99gs3 mentioned and put a bunch of lube on the slidding pins.
Old 10-25-11, 07:04 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Brakes doesn't make a rattling noise. Just because you apply the brakes doesn't mean the brake is at fault. It must be something else. Can you post a video clip? No hard feelings btw.
Old 10-25-11, 07:58 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Brakes doesn't make a rattling noise..
Brake pads can most defiantly rattle in the holder, that's the purpose of the anti-rattle clips. The OP still hasn't mentioned if they are in place or not.
Old 10-25-11, 08:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Brake pads can most defiantly rattle in the holder, that's the purpose of the anti-rattle clips. The OP still hasn't mentioned if they are in place or not.
Right, but I never heard brakes rattle. Plus, he said he knows what hes doing. So brakes should be in place. I still would like to hear what rattling noise he is hearing.
Old 10-25-11, 08:59 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this same problem and have spent many hours trying to diagnose it. I can tell you that it is 100% your brake calipers. Ill tell you why. The GS comes with 2 piece calipers. One piece connects to the knuckle via two large bolts ,and the second piece connects to the first piece via two pins that slide into the first piece. Over time the holes that the pins slide into become worn and allow excessive play between the two pieces of the caliper. So when you hit washboard pavement the second "floating"piece that contains the pads slaps back and forth against the rotor making the metallic clanking noise. And when you drag the brakes lightly you create pressure that forces the two pieces together therefore eliminating the sound. I have replaced pads and rotors as well as the brake hardware kit including shims and new pins and still have the same noise. Replace your calipers or upgrade to LS400 ONE piece brakes and your good.
Old 10-26-11, 03:38 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently changed my front pads. Bolted everything back up and all was fine for about 1500 miles. Then all of a sudden I get this clunk whenever I go over a bump.

I take of the wheel, quickly check if everything was bolted up. Everything seemed fine but the clunk was still there. So I took another look at it, but this time I unbolted the caliper and its bracket and rebolted it.

Ever since it's all good, no more clunking.

So to make it short, check the bolts. Otherwise I would say it's the pads. I wasn't able to put the shims back in either when the pads were new. So I waited a bit for them to wear off.
Old 10-26-11, 06:09 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I too have this damn annoying clunk noise! Whenever I INITIALLY apply the brakes. After 10 minutes or so of continuous driving it barely does it. However, if I park and it sits for a half hour or more, the clunking will come back again for the first 10 minutes or so...it drives me frickin crazy. Maybe I will look into re-torquing the caliper bolts as well.

Good thread!
Old 10-26-11, 07:37 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a new set of brake hardware (clips, shims, etc.) from the dealer and use a small amount of brake lube or anti-sieze. I've seen loose hardware before, albeit not on a 2GS, but on many Toyotas.
Old 10-26-11, 08:25 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all for the replies. Just in case I didn't make it clear. The brake retaining clips, springs, all the good stuff is there. And NEW. I replace them every time I change the pads/rotors. Which by the way is a waste of $40 if you ask me. The shims, I can't seem to find, so I guess another Fit Kit order is about to happen. ****.

I will try to re-tighten everything up tonight when I get home. I'll let you all know what happens. Pissing me off to no end, especially since everything else is so solid and quiet. And the fact that I am about to sell the car. I don't want this stupid rattle to scare anyone.

Rock, I swear this must be because of all NYC roads.
Old 10-26-11, 02:28 PM
randee973
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar problem ... and changed pads shocks and was thinking of replacing the calipers... turned out to be the upper strut mount .. i replaced that and walaaaa..
Old 10-26-11, 03:02 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

did your problem go away when holding the brake lightly? I doubt it. And I changed my upper mounts when I changed shocks.
Old 10-26-11, 04:45 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i get that broken car sound when i go on rough roads

clnking nclanking

Quick Reply: So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?