Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-02, 08:57 AM
kccapt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiteline

Guys:

I checked out the Whiteline site (Thanks), but there's no vehicle appl. guide. So what stock numbers are good for a 92 SC400, and/or Supta TT?

Thanks
kccapt
Old 11-17-02, 12:09 PM
kccapt
Rookie

Default WHITELINE SWAY BARS

The Whiteline website is very unfriendly. I need parts numbers to order. I'm redoing a 92 SC400; can anyone heko me with finding someplace to order them?

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 12-03-02, 10:16 PM
rob3379
Driver School Candidate

Could someone please help me? My SC300 is in shop getting fixed from wreck and I upgraded all suspension to Supra parts. I'm having trouble finding what is needed for mounting the rear bar up. Could someone please show me a picture or give me a part number for the subframe mounts or cushions needed.
Old 12-03-02, 10:58 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Here you go.

The old SC is on the right, and the new Supra is on the left with the mounts.

However, I must say, for all that cash ($63-80 each) you may want to just get the Daizen bars from TMEngineering.net that don't need the new mounts. The bars are stiffer and fit the OEM mounts.

MW
Attached Images  

Last edited by pcmw; 12-03-02 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 11:52 PM
rob3379
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I already have the TRD sway bars. Do you know what the exact name for that part is or do you have a part number by any chance? I'm kind of behind schedule right now. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-02, 11:57 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

They are just rear subframe mounts or cushions.

Here you go....

T52205-14020 $81.42 Cushion
T52206-14010 $81.42 Cushion

Parts.com sells them for $64.18 each

MW
Old 12-04-02, 12:09 AM
rob3379
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much.
Old 12-10-02, 05:07 PM
Tartan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 808state
i don't think the aussies have much of a write up on using the whitelines on their soarers. you'd figure since it's an austrailian product, they'd be the first. then again, i'm not sure they even have them with their active suspension.
Hi all -- I just joined to help in this discussion, and to let you guys know that I am continually in contact with Whiteline.

808, you are correct that Whiteline does not have a writeup [yet] on the Soarer. However, I am an active dealer of theirs and let's just say "they're working on it".

What Whiteline does have, however, are polyurethane bushes for the Soarer (re: the bad front outer control arm thread), and of course, the Supra swaybars.

Regards,
Josh McClain
Old 12-10-02, 05:18 PM
Tartan
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Whiteline

Originally posted by kccapt
I checked out the Whiteline site (Thanks), but there's no vehicle appl. guide. So what stock numbers are good for a 92 SC400, and/or Supra TT?
Whiteline's car-specific pages are here:
http://www.whiteline.com.au/yourcar.htm

The Supra JZA80 sheet is here:
http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/fac...upra_JZA80.PDF

An article on what Whiteline found with the Surpa:
http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles...raJZA80_1a.htm

And if you go to their "Products" section from www.whiteline.com.au, you'll find links to pdf files for their entire line of swaybars, springs, shocks, alignment aids, etc.

Josh

Last edited by Tartan; 12-10-02 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-02, 12:10 AM
Tartan
Driver School Candidate

Default Whiteline swaybar pictures 1

Picture from swaybar installation on Toylexmod's 92 SC400.

Front (BTF67Z)
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400-btf67z-installed-on-sc400-03-small.jpg  
Old 12-11-02, 12:11 AM
Tartan
Driver School Candidate

Default Whiteline swaybar pictures 2

Rear (BTR68Z)
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400-btr68z-installed-on-sc400-05-small.jpg  
Old 12-11-02, 12:16 AM
Tartan
Driver School Candidate

Default Whiteline swaybar pics 3

This shows removal of the oe SC400 rear subframe cushions. Notice also the removed bracket on the floorpan from the stock swaybar. (You'll need to plug these holes.)
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400-sc400-rear-stock-suspension-cushion-small.jpg  

Last edited by Tartan; 12-11-02 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-11-02, 12:22 AM
Tartan
Driver School Candidate

Default If you want more swaybar installation pictures

If you'd like to see the full set of the Whiteline swaybar installation, PM me with your email address.

Josh
Old 12-11-02, 02:30 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know folks, these Whiteline units are definitely not something you want to put on your car. Toylexmods is bragging about the weight of his bars, 500% more than the stock bars...this is ridiculous!

Anyone who knows anything about vehicle performance knows that unsprung weight is one of the number one items that should be addressed. Adding this much extra weight to your suspension components is probably one of the worst things that you can do. Sometimes it's unavoidable, such as when going to larger wheels and tires, but to purposely put heavier sway bars...that's not a good idea at all.

Secondly, the Whiteline bars are 30mm and 20mm if I recall correctly. This only results in an increase of approximately 28% stiffness over the stock bar which is also 30.1mm/1.187" (hollow .180" wall). On the rear, there is no way to actually calculate the difference, due to the different mounting style.

28% of increase is pretty mild, the street TRD bars are approximately 35%, but are hollow...a much better choice. The TRD race versions (not currently available in the US) increase by approximately 162%. Too much for a street driven car. Same issue with the GS bars by TRD.

The Daizen bars we offer have several advantages over this. First and foremost, they were designed FOR an SC, not a Supra. They are also designed to balance the chassis of an SC and have been fitted and tested on an SC. Secondly, they are hollow. 35mm dia, and hollow, with a little over 100% increase in stiffness. The bar is somewhere around 8 lbs if I recall correctly. The rear is also hollow, unlike the Whitelines...more unsprung weight issues from these Whitelines!

The Daizen parts were designed for use on an aggressively driven street car, so they are very effective yet still very civilized. I've read more than one post about fitment issues with hoses, etc. with the Whitelines on other websites, this should be something to be wary about. Not sure which sites, but I'm sure a websearch would turn them up.

I have heard some issues as well with the Whiteline control arm bushings, I think some people on Peter Scott's Soarer site have the specific information. They basically refer to the bushings converting the ride of their Soarer into the ride of a truck. This shows that their products were designed for a Supra on a racetrack, not a street driven Lexus.

Australians also have a very different approach with their performance parts, they are very aggressive and are a lot less concerned with everyday driveability. Most are weekend race cars. Not that this is a bad thing, but it's just not what the American market really desires or wants, especially so with a Lexus. This is why the Daizen bushings were tooled with softer compound urethane, leaving the ride quality virtually unchanged.

Another issue is that the Whiteline bars require so many replacement parts for retrofit. Especially so since they are OEM parts, this is expensive and somewhat nonproductive.

Lexus isn't stupid, if they designed a major structural part this way (rear sway bar mount), I'm sure that mount is ok. Remember, this was their flagship car and no expense was spared for production or design.

Upgrading to stock Supra bars can be a somewhat economical alternative if you can source all of the proper parts at a good price, but you definitely will not get a significant increase in roll control. It will be noticeable however, so some people might be good to go with those. Increases would be in the neighborhood of 20% with this setup.

The Daizen bars are a complete kit, designed specifically for the SC chassis, and provide over 100% increase in stiffness front and rear, and use all of the stock mounting hardware. No significant unsprung weight issues either. Adjustable rear bar too.

The TRD street bars are also a decent choice, but the cost along with the extra parts required could make that upgrade somewhat cost prohibitive. The increase in roll stiffness is not a whole lot either. Pricing would decide if this is a good choice for you.
Old 12-11-02, 12:54 PM
LexFather

Default DoubleWhoosh

Very informative. Is this correct? If so, this would not be in many peoples interests.

Quick Reply: Whiteline HD Sway bars on the SC400