Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 01:04 AM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi going to tackle this rear knuckle bush over the weekend.. how do you get the socket to hold the bushing as my bush doesn't fit in is it hammered..🤔
Old 12-20-19, 10:42 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Delp
Hi going to tackle this rear knuckle bush over the weekend.. how do you get the socket to hold the bushing as my bush doesn't fit in is it hammered..🤔
it’s a ***** but you gotta try it to figure it out
Old 12-21-19, 07:04 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Delp
Can you try a larger socket?
Old 04-08-20, 04:15 PM
ELLeon
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have installed Air-Lift air struts with their management system. Figs suspension refresh, with SuperPro busings, Rear Subframe solid bushings from Battle Version due to not having the SuperPro in stock at the time of assembly. My videos are not the best but if you have any questions let me know. Front Subframe also has Figs parts with SuperPro bushings as well as SuperPro sway bars front and back. Cusco front brace. Please let me know if you have any questions. I have been out of updating my own build thread and with this pandemic I am trying to get back to it and really contribute more to the community.

Old 04-09-20, 12:30 AM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLeon
I have installed Air-Lift air struts with their management system. Figs suspension refresh, with SuperPro busings, Rear Subframe solid bushings from Battle Version due to not having the SuperPro in stock at the time of assembly. My videos are not the best but if you have any questions let me know. Front Subframe also has Figs parts with SuperPro bushings as well as SuperPro sway bars front and back. Cusco front brace. Please let me know if you have any questions. I have been out of updating my own build thread and with this pandemic I am trying to get back to it and really contribute more to the community.

https://youtu.be/GFs-St8ABI8

https://youtu.be/JzpHY9U9DPo
Nice to see a good length video😁. Ive still got to tackle my rear knuckle arm bushes. 👍
The following users liked this post:
roscoeiii (06-12-21)
Old 11-01-20, 07:49 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is another source for these - https://febestparts.com/REAR_KNUCKLE...SHING/TAB-124Z
Old 03-06-22, 11:17 AM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

The best part number and price I found was 523-077 from Dorman Products. They had them on amazon for $27 each, and free 3-day delivery (prime). After googling the Febest part, and reading reviews on Febest products, I decided to stay away from their TAB-124Z. Who knows, maybe it's the exact same part! Also, I just read much of this thread, and found that Figs Engineering does sell their high end version of this bushing: https://shopfigs.com/v5/L6007?search=lca%20knuckle, however I'm at the end of my build, and don't have the cash for their fancy bushing.
FWIW, after installing TEIN coilovers, which dropped the suspension about 1.25", the alignment shops said there was no more factory adjustment to set the camber where I wanted it, and to correct the front and rear toe. I ordered and installed Figs front UCA's, rear LCA's, rear toe and traction arms, which all have plenty of adjustment (course and fine). Upon installing the new rear LCA, I noticed the boots on the factory knuckle bushings were torn or missing, and the spherical bearing inside was dirty, hence this post.

Last edited by CurlyG; 03-07-22 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-06-22, 08:18 PM
lexo98
Racer

Originally Posted by CurlyG
The best part number and price I found was 523-077 from Dorman Products. They had them on amazon for $27 each, and free 3-day delivery (prime). After googling the Febest part, and reading reviews on Febest products, I decided to stay away from their TAB-124Z. Who knows, maybe it's the exact same part! Also, I just read much of this thread, and found that Figs Engineering does sell their high end version of this bushing: https://shopfigs.com/v5/L6007?search=lca%20knuckle, however I'm at the end of my build, and don't have the cash for their fancy bushing.
FWIW, after installing TEIN coilovers, which dropped the suspension about 1.25", the alignment shops said there was no more factory adjustment to set the camber where I wanted it, and to correct the front and rear toe. I ordered and installed Figs upper LCA's, lower RCA's, rear toe and traction arms, which all have plenty of adjustment (course and fine). Upon installing the new rear LCA, I noticed the boots on the factory knuckle bushings were torn or missing, and the spherical bearing inside was dirty, hence this post.
Its been a long time but I remember replacing the bushing was a PITA. I tore one of the new boots so I only replaced 1 side, but it was the only bad one anyways.
Old 03-07-22, 03:37 PM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Using the C-Press mentioned earlier in this thread, the old bushings pressed out fairly easily. I had to use a 1 1/4 socket on the pushing side to remove them, but it looks like the inner socket teeth will interfere with the rubber boots when I go to press the new bushings in. I'll check around for a bushing press adapter kit. BTW, I measure the OD of the old bushing at 1.695"-1.700" (a little out of round after pressing out), the length is 2.160", and the ID is about 0.560".
Old 03-07-22, 04:26 PM
lexo98
Racer

Originally Posted by CurlyG
Using the C-Press mentioned earlier in this thread, the old bushings pressed out fairly easily. I had to use a 1 1/4 socket on the pushing side to remove them, but it looks like the inner socket teeth will interfere with the rubber boots when I go to press the new bushings in. I'll check around for a bushing press adapter kit. BTW, I measure the OD of the old bushing at 1.695"-1.700" (a little out of round after pressing out), the length is 2.160", and the ID is about 0.560".
getting out the old one was no biggie. Ran into trouble putting it back together. I bought the SPC clamp and was able to get it back in.
Old 04-30-22, 12:19 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
getting out the old one was no biggie. Ran into trouble putting it back together. I bought the SPC clamp and was able to get it back in.
just came here to vouch for that SPC C Clamp and the FIGS bushings. Took away the wandering steering now it’s nice and tight like a brand new BMW
Old 08-22-22, 01:17 PM
JAG1293
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sir would you happen to know if these bushings work for a 2009 GS350?

Do you happen to know if these bushings would fit a 2009 GS350?
l
Old 08-22-22, 02:34 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by JAG1293
l
i highly doubt it or figs would advertise them to fit beyond 2005. I would check their site or email them they have good customer service. Maybe they make these for the 3rd gen GS too.

that sucks they still have this problem in the 3rd gen. You would think they would have changed the design to avoid this. When those knuckle bushings go bad the rear isn’t stable over bumps and on the highway. Also, the worst part is the rear alignment never holds especially the camber since it’s attached to the adjustment.

Last edited by DMPesso; 08-22-22 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 08:01 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JAG1293
l
These are the rear knuckle bearing for the 2IS 3GS.
https://shopfigs.com/v5/L1003?search=rear%20knuckle
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-13-23, 10:19 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi guys, other than Dorman, are there any other high quality stock style replacement knuckle bushings that you recommend?

Approximately 7-8yrs ago, I replaced these bushings with a pair of ebay bushings (at that time there weren't many options). They've failed and my rear wheels now have 1/4" of up/down play when the car is on the lift. I can hear them going over bumps. So I'll be doing this again but want to be sure I'm buying the best OEM style bushing available today.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement