Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut bars and braces

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 12:39 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strut bars and braces

Hi all,
I have been reviewing the offerings for the 2 GS and would like input from people that have run different strut bars.

After looking at the deflection that happens on strut towers on various cars it seems like a rigid bar would be the best performing. The loaded strut tower tends to want to move in (towards the engine) and up (towards the hood). Strut bars with pivot points on the brakets seem to be less effective in containing this motion. Thoughts?

I am in the process of building a rigid bar with an adjustment point in the center of the bar to adjust preload. That is the type of bar I have built in the past for various cars with good results and I have not seen any off the shelf offerings for the 1st or 2nd gen GS with said adjustment. This would still provide a rigid bar with the "weakest" point being in the center of the bar at the adjustment point but a 1/2" thick pipe should be plenty strong to counter the forces.

The same questions and thoughts apply to the rear bar as well.

Also, any insight to the various body/crossmember braces that are available?
I have noticed that on a lot of GS's (as well as other cars) the body tends to deform around the sunroof. I believe that this is because of the lack of support in the center of the stock car which allows for body "twisting". I ran Do-Luc cross bars on the Supras and it substantially stiffened the car, even with the targa off. The Do-Lucs are mounted in the cabin but I have not seen any offering for the GS (either internal or external).

Right now I am running Tein coil overs w/EDFC, front and rear RCAs, Danzen sway bars and steerin rack bushings. I plan to remove the rear RCAs and go with FIG's rear Mega LCAs. On initial turn in the back gets a little "floaty" unless you put power into it but with the sways it has become a little less forgiving and tends to oversteer. Stiffening of the chasis I think will help to deal with this better (better tracking rear to front).

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-01-11, 01:31 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

do luc USED to make a internal bar for the gs BTW, a turboed gs430 that was in superstreet had it...

im fixing to sell my carson replica one and get a custom chromemoly one made that will mount to my back firewall also. i got my TRD blue swaybars also but they havent been installed yet they getting powdercoated and im STILL looking for the TRD underbrace and the TOM's 6 point to stiffen up my chassis
Old 08-01-11, 06:55 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
do luc USED to make a internal bar for the gs BTW, a turboed gs430 that was in superstreet had it...

im fixing to sell my carson replica one and get a custom chromemoly one made that will mount to my back firewall also. i got my TRD blue swaybars also but they havent been installed yet they getting powdercoated and im STILL looking for the TRD underbrace and the TOM's 6 point to stiffen up my chassis
How are you planning to attach to the firewall? The sheetmetal is fairly thin there. On the GS at least, I do not see how triangulation would help as the strut towers are fairly rigid and I do not see the forces that would push or pull them forward or back. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something though.

Is the TRD underbrace just a front piece? Any pics or links?

I have been looking at the TOMs as well (love Hyperrev) but I have heard of people having problems with various pieces breaking. Dunno about that though.

I should have the car back in about two weeks from the body shop (all dings removed and new paint job) and I'll throw on the new exhaust and rear door sills :-)

Figure as long as I'll have it up in the air I might as well attach any recommended braces.

PM me how much you want for the strut bar.
Old 08-02-11, 12:15 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeanGS
How are you planning to attach to the firewall? The sheetmetal is fairly thin there. On the GS at least, I do not see how triangulation would help as the strut towers are fairly rigid and I do not see the forces that would push or pull them forward or back. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something though.

Is the TRD underbrace just a front piece? Any pics or links?

I have been looking at the TOMs as well (love Hyperrev) but I have heard of people having problems with various pieces breaking. Dunno about that though.

I should have the car back in about two weeks from the body shop (all dings removed and new paint job) and I'll throw on the new exhaust and rear door sills :-)

Figure as long as I'll have it up in the air I might as well attach any recommended braces.

PM me how much you want for the strut bar.
with some secret work lol i will attach it... or give up on the custom one if i can find my RMM bar i really want

trd brace looks like this but is discontinued

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=492

i have only seen one guy with a issue with the TOM's they were rusted and broke
Old 08-22-11, 02:13 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Saw it on EBAY and gave it a shot. I got the Ultra Racing front 4 point under brace and front strut bar. Install was easy. The strut bar can be used with the TEIN EDFC (old or new motors). The picture is with the old (large) motors just to verify that they would fit. Small motors have plenty of room.

Didn't notice much difference in normal driving (expected) but I hopped up on Grimes Canyon and the two made a definite improvement.
Attached Thumbnails Strut bars and braces-strut-bar-1.jpg   Strut bars and braces-strut-bar-2.jpg  
Old 08-23-11, 02:31 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

find a JZS147 from a junkyard, buy strut tower brace?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tower-bar.html
Old 08-31-11, 03:45 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw it on EBAY and gave it a shot. I got the Ultra Racing front 4 point under brace and front strut bar. Install was easy. The strut bar can be used with the TEIN EDFC (old or new motors). The picture is with the old (large) motors just to verify that they would fit. Small motors have plenty of room.

Didn't notice much difference in normal driving (expected) but I hopped up on Grimes Canyon and the two made a definite improvement.
Can this stb fit over your GS300 engine cover?
Old 09-01-11, 12:42 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
i have the old oem 1gen gs stb. it does not fit over the gs3 engine cover. as a matter of fact it rubs on my throtle body so i took it off. there is a 1/8" triangle ring that goes under the nuts on the top of the shocks. if i leave that on it clears with no issues but there is no threads left on the shock bolts. so the only thing i can think of is getting slightly thinner nuts? i have seen many member with it (i think carbongs had it originally)
Old 09-01-11, 07:57 AM
DeanGS
Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
Hey Pete,
Yes, it does fit over the engine cover (300, 400 and 430).
Old 09-01-11, 10:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Pete,
Yes, it does fit over the engine cover (300, 400 and 430).
how can u make such a blanket statement since you havent tested this on a gs400/gs430 that it will fit over those 2 models?

i now sold mine that DID fit over my CF engine cover and the custom one wont work gotta start searching to see if the RMM will indeed clear it
Old 09-01-11, 11:36 AM
DeanGS
Driver

Well, there are many GSs in California, some of the owners are friends of mine. One has a 98 GS4 and the bar fit fine. Another has an 04 GS4 and it fit fine. Both have ordered the bar. I tested on my car, a 2005 GS3 and no issues with the cover and either version of the EDFC motors.

Originally Posted by sakataj
how can u make such a blanket statement since you havent tested this on a gs400/gs430 that it will fit over those 2 models?

i now sold mine that DID fit over my CF engine cover and the custom one wont work gotta start searching to see if the RMM will indeed clear it
Old 09-01-11, 11:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Well, there are many GSs in California, some of the owners are friends of mine. One has a 98 GS4 and the bar fit fine. Another has an 04 GS4 and it fit fine. Both have ordered the bar. I tested on my car, a 2005 GS3 and no issues with the cover and either version of the EDFC motors.
pics of it on the 98 gs4 and the 2004 gs430?
Old 09-01-11, 02:29 PM
Redline26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed AD2R strut bar last week. I know its not JDM or Tein but I'm all about functionality!

Anyways, the wheel shaking I got after going 60+mph on the highway has significantly reduced. I would say AT LEAST 90% of the shaking is now gone. The steering is so much better on turns.

I recommend a front tower strut bar to every GS owner who is lowered.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Strut bars and braces-0901011708.jpg   Strut bars and braces-0901011708a.jpg   Strut bars and braces-downsized_0901011707-1-.jpg  
Old 09-03-11, 02:33 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird, it's advertised only for the 3GS on both E-bay and on the manufacturer's website; well at least it's a picture of a 3GS shown
Old 09-03-11, 02:42 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Weird, it's advertised only for the 3GS on both E-bay and on the manufacturer's website; well at least it's a picture of a 3GS shown
Yeah, their marketing leaves a lot to be desired. I found it by searching for Aristo parts and/or the chassis code.

Quick Reply: Strut bars and braces