Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F sport springs sluggish in corners

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 05:13 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F sport springs sluggish in corners

does anyone have f sport springs with stock shocks feel weird in corners?

the problem i am having is that in corners the cars feels jittery and not planted to the road as it did before .. not as smooth either

i feel like midway through i feel like i haven't turned the steering wheel enough but once i made the correction i already turned too much and it was time to turn the steering back to centre ....

also the back seems to or want to kick out a bit

any feedback would appreciate

Thanks
Old 07-12-11, 05:17 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sway bars will help what you're talking about a ton, you're probably just noticing something that is normal with progressive springs, the more it compresses the stiffer it gets so as the car leans the spring gets firmer, time that with your corrections and you're over correcting--probably worse with stock shocks.
Old 07-12-11, 05:52 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

ahh i see .. i thought it had something to do with the springs...

hopefully this problem will be fix as i am planning to get a set of coils
the springs didn't behave like this about a year ago when i had these installed... probably because the shocks are degrading over usage and being more "bouncy"
Old 07-12-11, 09:14 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this exact same behavior when I had Eibach on my stock shock (But that time it was on my Audi A4)

After about two years of use, the car behaved just like you explained and the drop became more and more unven between each corners.

Finally I had to tear down my struts to see what happened. The result was both of my rear shocks were worn out completely, no damping force left!! My fronts were less than 50% left in damping force. The first half of the rebound stroke was gone, i.e. no damping force left.

Problem solved after I replaced those worn out shocks with Bilstiens. But the Eibach and Bilstien don't work very well together however, quite bouncy and jittery ride.

Lesson lernt from that, I never use lowering spring once again. I will only buy shock+spring combo that was paired out of the box or coilovers.

Last edited by SCWB; 07-12-11 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 09:21 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the f-sport springs/shocks on and the car handles very nice. not having the problems you stated here.
Old 07-13-11, 05:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
does anyone have f sport springs with stock shocks feel weird in corners?

the problem i am having is that in corners the cars feels jittery and not planted to the road as it did before .. not as smooth either

i feel like midway through i feel like i haven't turned the steering wheel enough but once i made the correction i already turned too much and it was time to turn the steering back to centre ....

also the back seems to or want to kick out a bit

any feedback would appreciate

Thanks

welcome to progressive springs.

Cheap way to lower your car. Crappy way to get actual good handling.

Linear FTW.

(seriously though- stiffer shocks will help but it's not possible to get shocks that are always correct for your application since your spring rate keeps changing... so they'll help, but if you want it fixed either switch to the OEM sport suspension or get coilovers with linear springs)
Old 07-14-11, 02:03 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

blast these f sport springs

thanks for help yall!
Old 07-14-11, 08:25 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

It's threads like this that worry me. I'm getting my F Sport springs installed on Saturday but I have the factory sport suspension. Not sure if the factory Tokico's can handle the drop much better through time.
Old 07-14-11, 06:33 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

i think this problem effects anyone with just lowering springs ..

i just asked to make sure this is a springs issue .. not my steering rack or anything else ..

also this issue isn't noticeable at first... i've had the springs for almost 2 years and the problem is just starting which is predictable
Old 07-15-11, 12:15 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer will be revealed when you tear down your strut...

I think factory sport suspension would handle lower spring better than non-sport because the shock is stiffer so it should handle stiffer spring rate of lowering spring.

Another issue is our factory shocks are not designed to work at 1" or 2" lower than stock. It's like they are being compressed too much all the time.
Old 07-16-11, 07:47 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Most coilovers adjust ride height without changing the shock travel. Ride super high or slammed, ride quality shouldn't change much because the shock travel remains the same. Lowering springs decreases shock travel and although they may operate ok, the shock just isn't designed for the constant increase in pressure and decreased shock travel. After experiencing coilovers, I will never go back to lowering springs. I had F-Sport springs/OEM combo like you before so I know what you mean.