Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 04:52 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TT Supra brake conversion is done...No BBK LS fronts for me.

Just wished the front rotors would've had the "Supra" logo...But they were used so oh well.
Old 06-08-12, 10:23 PM
nktuner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. My order on the way
Old 06-15-12, 07:23 PM
bajaracer1
Driver School Candidate

you can order the entire ls400 upgrade kit for cheaper than parting it together at silver mine motors
it's selling for $420 right now.
http://silverminemotors.com/SC-300-4...-Front-kit.htm
Old 06-16-12, 05:19 AM
laramie55
Driver School Candidate

Default Read the whole thread and if I understand correctly...

...there is no upgrade for my 92 sc400 that will fit with my stock 16" 10 spoke wheels. Again, from what I understand, I will need aftermarket or one of several other wheels available to make clearance for the BBK and then I have to make sure they have clearance. So, to do a BBK, I not only need a BBK but also new tires and rims. Correct? This is not a cheap upgrade from a stock SC400 by any stretch.
Sorry if this seems common knowledge but I just bought the car and joined the Club and this was the first full thread I read because it is quickly apparent that the OEM brakes are weak and I was looking for a quick (relatively inexpensive) fix. From where I am now there is no such thing. No magic brake pads! The rotor is smallish and the two pot calipers are feeble. Does that sum up my dilemma? Wheels (and watch out which wheels), tires then the BBK. Ouch! Oh yeah, gotta buy a new spare tire to fit too! LOL! Don't get me wrong I love my car but they left an important part of sport out of the SC.
Thanks for all the information though it was enlightening and inspiring to see what you guys have done to your SC's.
Old 06-16-12, 07:55 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laramie55
...there is no upgrade for my 92 sc400 that will fit with my stock 16" 10 spoke wheels. Again, from what I understand, I will need aftermarket or one of several other wheels available to make clearance for the BBK and then I have to make sure they have clearance. So, to do a BBK, I not only need a BBK but also new tires and rims. Correct? This is not a cheap upgrade from a stock SC400 by any stretch.
Sorry if this seems common knowledge but I just bought the car and joined the Club and this was the first full thread I read because it is quickly apparent that the OEM brakes are weak and I was looking for a quick (relatively inexpensive) fix. From where I am now there is no such thing. No magic brake pads! The rotor is smallish and the two pot calipers are feeble. Does that sum up my dilemma? Wheels (and watch out which wheels), tires then the BBK. Ouch! Oh yeah, gotta buy a new spare tire to fit too! LOL! Don't get me wrong I love my car but they left an important part of sport out of the SC.
Thanks for all the information though it was enlightening and inspiring to see what you guys have done to your SC's.
So if you feel SC's are not sporty, then why were you concerned with upgrading your brakes? If your brakes feel bad, just do a fluid flush, get new rotors and some nice pads and have it all done by a professional, I'm sure it'll feel good after that.
Old 06-12-13, 04:29 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im picking up ucf20 brakes, rotors, and pads for $40 + tax tomorrow from my local yard, pads are around 75%+ left and the rotors are spinning pretty well so i hope the calipers are still good. I am on this thread right now trying to find out what to use to remove the dang caliper because it didn't look like a normal bolt, idk if it was an allen or a torx i didn't really pay attention :/ someone can answer that here if not ill be researching it up! thanks.

apparently it uses two hex head bolts just like the sc? i must have overlooked it earlier today, 100+ degrees in a yard in vegas is no bueno so i try to do thinks quickly

and for those wondering about caliper clearance you should use a spacer or a "HI-Disk" wheel or a wheel with a high pad height. Work wheels uses T,L and R disk for cars with big brake kits or bigger calipers.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 06-12-13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 08:53 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
im picking up ucf20 brakes, rotors, and pads for $40 + tax tomorrow from my local yard, pads are around 75%+ left and the rotors are spinning pretty well so i hope the calipers are still good. I am on this thread right now trying to find out what to use to remove the dang caliper because it didn't look like a normal bolt, idk if it was an allen or a torx i didn't really pay attention :/ someone can answer that here if not ill be researching it up! thanks.

apparently it uses two hex head bolts just like the sc? i must have overlooked it earlier today, 100+ degrees in a yard in vegas is no bueno so i try to do thinks quickly

and for those wondering about caliper clearance you should use a spacer or a "HI-Disk" wheel or a wheel with a high pad height. Work wheels uses T,L and R disk for cars with big brake kits or bigger calipers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7574344-post259.html
Old 06-12-13, 09:33 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

So I was correct! looks like ill have to find that tool! I really want to pick these up ASAP!
Old 06-12-13, 09:59 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
So I was correct! looks like ill have to find that tool! I really want to pick these up ASAP!
Bought mine from Autozone. Just the single size I needed, which turned out to be a common size, ';cause it was all they had.
Old 06-14-13, 09:30 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

stoked, scooped up my ls4's from the junkyard yesterday, pistons and rings look to be in great shape, rotors arent scored very deep, i doubt i even need to get them turned/cut but ill do it anyways, Im gonna pick up some paint stripper and VHT Gold either today or in a couple weeks when i come back from cancun. so worth the $$35 for the two calipers, rotors, and pads, i took the brake lines too anyways.
Old 06-14-13, 11:48 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Split the calipers today, painted the outside, and put en back together and boom, it's leaking :/

is there a special way to put the caliper together or do i just have to torque them down really good? I do know the two rubber seals are in there but could i have put them in the wrong way?

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 06-15-13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-13-14, 10:26 AM
jomosc400
Rookie

So what is the final vote on this? (Without sarcasm)

Am I unable to do the LS400 brake swap with these OEM rims due to caliper clearance?
Old 08-13-14, 06:51 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not gonna happen. Need 17's or bigger. Early 7 spoke 350z wheels are a cheap option or supra tt rims that I know of.
Old 08-14-14, 12:45 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ This. I loved the '96 SC400 painted 7-spoke "blade" rims my car had when I bought it but there was just no way they'd clear LS400/TT brakes up front. TT wheels are the most common cheap option.
Old 08-14-14, 09:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Ok Guys, the only 16" wheel that can clear the ls400 brakes are the LS400 16" factory wheels. they are special.

The SC300/400 16" wheels will not clear the LS brakes.
the supra tt 17" wheels clear just fine and are a great factory wheel to start with.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...400-bbk-2.html

Quick Reply: LS Brakes