Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Firestone Lifetime Suspension Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 07:55 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Lifetime Suspension Service

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys think it is worth it or had any experience with it?
Old 03-01-11, 09:51 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

I don't have an answer, but I was wondering the same thing....
Old 03-01-11, 09:53 AM
Bodz123
Rookie

What to you mean by "lifetime suspension service"? I have lifetime alignment through them for my Jeep and its 100% worth it. I do a 5 tire rotation every 5K (rotate my spare too) and have them check and or align every time. I typically pay 1200-1400$ for my tires so I try and squeeze every mile out of them. If your as OCD with your tires/suspension as I am its worth it. If you never rotate your tires or never get your alignment checked then Its not. Because I have a IS350 and NEVER rotate my tires I would not get it for the Lexus
Old 03-01-11, 10:00 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bodz123
What to you mean by "lifetime suspension service"? I have lifetime alignment through them for my Jeep and its 100% worth it. I do a 5 tire rotation every 5K (rotate my spare too) and have them check and or align every time. I typically pay 1200-1400$ for my tires so I try and squeeze every mile out of them. If your as OCD with your tires/suspension as I am its worth it. If you never rotate your tires or never get your alignment checked then Its not. Because I have a IS350 and NEVER rotate my tires I would not get it for the Lexus
I know the IS350 is staggered, but you don't even swap them side to side? Just curious.
Old 03-01-11, 10:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
I know the IS350 is staggered, but you don't even swap them side to side? Just curious.
Lots of folks have directional tires, so that would be impossible short of unmounting and remounting the tires to the wheels (which would be kinda nuts)
Old 03-01-11, 10:08 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on where you go. Some Firestone has great alignment guys, some can't adjust your camber if their lives depend on it. Then there's some that will just refuse to touch your car even if it is slightly lowered. For me, the ratio of capable Firestone (alignment wise) to the incapable is enough to stay the hell away. Take that for what ever it is worth.

If you have a generally stock car then I'd say go for it. If you've modified your suspension then don't even bother since they will most likely deny you service anyway.
Old 03-01-11, 10:37 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Lots of folks have directional tires, so that would be impossible short of unmounting and remounting the tires to the wheels (which would be kinda nuts)
Yeah, but with as many people suffering from inner (or even outer) tire wear...it seems like a viable solution since there's a lot of people that can't seem to get their toe/camber issues resolved.

Anyway...I was just curious. :-)
Old 03-01-11, 10:38 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Looks like Firestone now has a free alignment offer. Maybe worth a shot to see if your local shop is worth it....

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/offers/
Old 03-01-11, 06:43 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is just not a lot of adjustment to the Lex suspension (which is a HUGE disappointment in itself).
On the bright side of Firestone, the manager at mine is a circle tracker and we hit it off years ago. I've taken my cars to him before and after track or autocross events for quick tweeks and checkouts.
He makes sure I always get his senior man anytime I go in, and if not available, he'll let me know when to come back...

For what its worth, I have zero complaints with my Firestone, just the lack of adjustable components on the Lex!

V
Old 03-01-11, 10:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The alignment is only good as the guy doing the work. I know there are lots of bad Firestone techs out there, but at the same time, there are some that do know what they're doing. My local Firestone has been pretty good to me. They haven't refused my lowered car yet. However, I will not let them set the alignment according to the computer screen. I tell them what to set my car at and I watch them do it until it's exactly what I want.
Old 05-10-12, 11:51 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I went and they said they can't adjust the camber lol
Old 05-13-12, 01:04 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

It really depends on what you plan on doing to your car as well. If you do plan on lowering your car or touching your suspension in any way, then it will void the "lifetime alignment" warranty. Luckily I'm on Megan Coils with only a slight drop and on my stock 18's for my 2008 IS350 and they were able to do the alignment. I've asked a couple of questions and this is what I got. The lifetime alignment doesn't follow the vehicle if it goes to a new owner, it doesn't cover parts if needed to complete the alignment, if there was a change in suspension(lowered/raised) it will void the lifetime warranty(if caught), and if you do get aftermarket rims and did not change the suspension they will do the alignment, but they will not cover any damages to the rim because they use a clamp to do the alignment. I hope this answer's most of your questions.