Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Attention Supra brake caliper/stoclk 17 incher folks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 09:45 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention Supra brake caliper/stoclk 17 incher folks

I am dying to do the Supra TT front brake kit but want to keep my stock 17's. I understand it is possible with spacers and longer studs. My question is how big a spacer is necessary? I've heard 5mm and I've heard 15mm. Anyone know for sure?
Old 08-16-02, 01:47 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spacers not recommended

You will most likely need the 15mm spacer. With my aftermarket 17s I think I'll clear, but I'm not about to order a couple hundred $$ in brake hardware to find out a) I can't use it or b) I gotta get new rims. I have a significant amount more clearance on my O-Z's than stock, so it'd be close for me...maybe a 5mm spacer. THe guy at the tirerack didn't recommend them, likely to vibrate more, so no spacers for me.
Old 08-16-02, 07:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

spacers are very bad idea imho.... i am in the same boat here. i have 19" but time to time i need to put back the 17", so i can't get the supra tt upgrade. but i won't put spaces coz' of that, i'd rather just get the normal upgrade from steve
Old 08-16-02, 08:21 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried to mount my stock 17" on my front TT brakes and the lug bolts could not protrude through the wheel holes before hitting the caliper ! !

I'd say that roughly you would need atleast an inch spacer to clear the caliper with a factory 17". This is not to say that a different 17" aftermarket wheel would not clear. It's the design/shape of the wheel center section that determines if the wheel will clear. You can't go by offset alone.

I would not recommend a spacer on the stock wheel, especially if it needs to be 1/2 to an inch thick.

Old 08-16-02, 08:53 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guru, y not just join in the Wilwood GB and get some racing calipers (much much much lighter than TT calipers) and stick them on ur stock rotors? They r 4 piston just like the TT calipers, etc. Look at the GB thread for more info. This is just a suggestion tho. Hoep everything works out
Old 08-17-02, 06:26 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Yes I know spacers are not usually a good idea although I'd like to try them and see. I have a friend who is a Wilwood distributor so I can get them cheap but am not happy with their quality and feel. If I were to go big brakes I'd go Endless 6 pot but am trying to do a bigger brake kit without upgrading the wheels. If I have to I'll stay stock and just install some Endless pads and Motul fluid.
Old 08-17-02, 09:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i heard from my friend that wilwood are some very quality and high performance stuff, no?! now i am confused. what problems you had with them?
Old 08-19-02, 12:02 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

They rattle, feel cheap and flex compared to the Brembo, Endless and AP calipers. Also, they have no dust shields so you have to bleed them often. They work great for lower priced light cars like small Hondas but for a larger car like this I wouldn't get them at all. Go with the big 3: Brembo, Endless, or AP Racing.
Old 08-20-02, 06:29 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

So no one knows the answer to my question?
Old 08-21-02, 12:32 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's not that

Dan,

I don't think that no one knows (well maybe they don't) I think its more that no one has done it. Most (if not all) of the guys running the Supra TT brakes are running aftermarket wheels. The thing you need to get yourself comfortable with is do I want a 15mm (that's a little over 1/2 an inch) spacer on my wheels for a brake upgrade. At 15mm you will need to replace your lugs as well. I'mm struggling with a similar probelm, but I know for sure my aftermarket wheels have more clearance than a stock GS, I've been told you need 2.5 inches from the rotor to the spokes of the wheel. Don't know if that helps, but good luck.
Old 08-21-02, 12:55 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

I have no problem getting longer studs. That and the spacer is no problem. I just hate ordering the wrong piece is all. I may have no choice but to measure first and do the install twice essentially.
Old 08-21-02, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Guru
They rattle, feel cheap and flex compared to the Brembo, Endless and AP calipers. Also, they have no dust shields so you have to bleed them often. They work great for lower priced light cars like small Hondas but for a larger car like this I wouldn't get them at all. Go with the big 3: Brembo, Endless, or AP Racing.
wow, they rattles at certain situation or all the time? can you explain a bit more on the dust shield?? i thought all brake fluids are "sealed" so why you need to bleed it often?
Old 08-21-02, 10:40 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

The dust shields on the pistons. It varies caliper to caliper since some Brembo's and some AP's have dust shields and some don't. Depends on whether it was designed as a street or track setup. Track setups get bled every race so no big deal, but on a street setup you don't bleed as often. The wilwoods rattle in certain situations only. You may not be able to hear it on a GS though since it is such a quiet car. People often use the Dynalite on Hondas which is fine for up to 2300 lbs. but on a big car like this that caliper is way undersizes and has too much flex. Not sure which caliper they use for the GS. Anyone?