Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 brake caliper swap !!caution!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 04:53 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS400 brake caliper swap !!caution!!

This may have been covered before , but I just wanted to post some detailed pics and give a word of caution to anybody who is doing the LS400 caliper swap on the GS without RCA,s (unfortunately I discovered what RCA is after this problem). If you are doing this without RCA you will have to grind down a portion of the caliper itself as well as the nut on the tie-rod. Neither of these is a good thing but it can be made to work if you are very careful. However there is a fine line between success and grinding a hole right into the fluid reservoir of the caliper. So the following pictures is what happened after a friend encouraged me to "stop being pu$$y and grind it like a man"

Name:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 5129
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0069.jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 3954
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 3944
Size:  92.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
PaulRobin (04-06-18)
Old 12-28-10, 05:03 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hope you made him buy you a new caliper!
Old 12-28-10, 05:42 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

should have searched before u did the mod, right?
Old 12-28-10, 05:57 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5t341th
should have searched before u did the mod, right?
Yeah, Stupid me. Search is your friend ,right?
Old 12-28-10, 06:00 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks!!!
Old 12-28-10, 06:41 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
i hope you made him buy you a new caliper!
Well my trash talking friend had completed the swap before on his GS and diddnt have any problems. So after me doing a tedious grind,test fit ,grind,test fit for half an hour I started to get a little frustrated and gave in to his heckling. I dont blame him I just should have trusted my better judgement.
I came across a pic of the same situation but it was buried in a thread and hard to find and without very good pics. Just wanted to make a easy to find thread that has the word "caution" in it and that has pictures up front and that also mentions the RCA option instead of grinding things. Anyway Im new to this forum and thought this might help someone to not make the same mistake.
Old 12-28-10, 06:46 PM
aloysius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

darn it.
Old 12-28-10, 08:04 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Get it welded shut and start over
Old 12-28-10, 11:02 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbeat
Yeah, Stupid me. Search is your friend ,right?
Tough Lesson. The LS400 fitment threads have been covered for years and years.

The GS is 12 years old and I've been on this section for 9 of them. There's almost NOTHING that has not been covered on these forums. Many basic topics like this have been covered over and over and over.

If you wonder why you may not get a wealth of replies to ANY question you may have it's because people get tired of the same old questions. So what typically happens is a noobie will help another noobie who probably searched and is quoting something that someone posted years ago.

ADVANCED SEARCH is your friend.
Old 12-28-10, 11:53 PM
wcgorillaz
Driver

Thanks for the info.. Search buttom dont work on my phone samsung vibrant..
Old 12-29-10, 01:42 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This may have been covered before , but I just wanted to post some detailed pics and give a word of caution to anybody who is doing the LS400 caliper swap on the GS without RCA,s (unfortunately I discovered what RCA is after this problem). If you are doing this without RCA you will have to grind down a portion of the caliper itself as well as the nut on the tie-rod. Neither of these is a good thing but it can be made to work if you are very careful. However there is a fine line between success and grinding a hole right into the fluid reservoir of the caliper. So the following pictures is what happened after a friend encouraged me to "stop being pu$$y and grind it like a man"
Sucks that it happened...but Im glad you posted up your mistake...so others can learn from it.

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Tough Lesson. The LS400 fitment threads have been covered for years and years.

The GS is 12 years old and I've been on this section for 9 of them. There's almost NOTHING that has not been covered on these forums. Many basic topics like this have been covered over and over and over.

If you wonder why you may not get a wealth of replies to ANY question you may have it's because people get tired of the same old questions. So what typically happens is a noobie will help another noobie who probably searched and is quoting something that someone posted years ago.

ADVANCED SEARCH is your friend.
Well said...but searching requires using the proper keywords...which many have no clue about.

Originally Posted by wcgorillaz
Thanks for the info.. Search buttom dont work on my phone samsung vibrant..
Get on a computer.
Old 12-29-10, 02:32 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Well said...but searching requires using the proper keywords...which many have no clue about.
absolutely! There's been a few instances where I knew that its been spoken of before and have read it, but couldnt for the life of me figure out the correct terminology or proper quote to use in search feature.
Old 12-29-10, 08:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i'll buy that from you...i need some of the bolts out of it...mine go to powdercoating soon and 2 of my bolts are ruined
Old 12-29-10, 02:21 PM
4drferio

go0od info!!!
Old 12-29-10, 05:35 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well my trash talking friend had completed the swap before on his GS and diddnt have any problems. So after me doing a tedious grind,test fit ,grind,test fit for half an hour I started to get a little frustrated and gave in to his heckling. I dont blame him I just should have trusted my better judgement.
I came across a pic of the same situation but it was buried in a thread and hard to find and without very good pics. Just wanted to make a easy to find thread that has the word "caution" in it and that has pictures up front and that also mentions the RCA option instead of grinding things. Anyway Im new to this forum and thought this might help someone to not make the same mistake.

Sorry to see that! I did mine the same tedious way you started out for fear of this very thing happening, had seen it mentioned somewhere in my research. Took quite a bit of time and effort and the grinding is less than ideal but I've been driving on them for a year without any issues.

Welcome to CL BTW!

Quick Reply: LS400 brake caliper swap !!caution!!