Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tom's STB on stock GS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 08:14 PM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Tom's STB on stock GS400

I received the Tom's STB ordered from Steve and installed it immediately on my more or less Stock 2000 GS400. The only other additions to my car are the L-Tuned Steering ECU and Pilot Sport A/S tires.

First let me say ordering from Steve is such a wonderful experience. He gave me the tracking number immediately after the order and it arrived today as described. Steve always delivers the best service, its a treat everytime!

Now onto the installation... The STB wouldn't fit in the beginning. I had to jack up one side of the car to flex the body and then it went in perfectly. The entire installation took 20 minutes tops. The only difficulty was one of the nuts on the passanger side didn't have a lot of room for the wrench to work with. However the open space is just enough to get a small torque wrench in and tighten it. I also had to leave the stress plate that was there before. Without it, the STB would not have cleared the engine cover.

I took the car out for a drive and I noticed a clear difference in handling. The GS now responds more quickly to steering inputs and felt there are less body roll (Although I was told the STB does not address body roll). The car feels a lot more confident at all speeds without any noticeable additional harshness in ride. I am extremely pleased with the addition.

For those that are sitting on the fence for a STB, it is well worth it. I only wish they made it standard for the GS. For those that have had a STB for a while, I do have one question... the STB sits about 1/4" above the engine and it gets really hot after a long drive due to the engine heat. It is almost too hot to touch. Will this cause a problem due to metal expansion and contraction over time?
Old 08-07-02, 08:36 PM
RacingAristo

Steve never gives me any tracking number..... Right, that's because I always pick it up myself.
Old 08-07-02, 08:58 PM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

Talking

RA,

You also don't intern at GM for the summer and wonder if someone will take an interest in the package from Carson Toyota!!

I currently have the only Lexus in the lot and thank god that it hasn't been key or anything. Now if I can only get a job with Toyota or Lexus after my MBA, I would be a happy camper.
Old 08-07-02, 10:34 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about to install my Tom's STB, I got a few questions for you. I kind of eyeball and put the STB on the strut tower, but it wouldn't fit due to body flex. I didn't think it would fit with the engine cover. You said it cleared your engine cover?? Did you use any spacers?
Old 08-08-02, 03:06 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lex430
about to install my Tom's STB, I got a few questions for you. I kind of eyeball and put the STB on the strut tower, but it wouldn't fit due to body flex. I didn't think it would fit with the engine cover. You said it cleared your engine cover?? Did you use any spacers?
I received an e-mail from steve yesterday stating "once and for all" that the Toms front STB does fit over the 98-00' GS400 engine cover. But, it will NOT fit over the 98-00' GS300 engine cover without spacers........
Old 08-08-02, 05:34 AM
CokeBear
Driver School Candidate

TOM's STB cleared the engine cover in my 2000 GS400. If you take out the stress plate that came with the car, then the bar will rub the engine cover. If you leave that stress plate in, the bar will clear by about 1/4".

Again, this is on a GS400. I'm not certain on a GS430.
Old 08-08-02, 09:55 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tom's will not fit the GS430 w/engine cover on..............Function over engine cover, no one can see it anyways. Unless you drive with your hood open

What would be more interesting...............I open up my hood and see a plastic engine cover...............I open up my hood and see a Tom's STB!!
Old 08-08-02, 10:20 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine cover are for show off Luxury crap... does nothing to the engine.. beside dress it up..

I took my off to install the TRD STB... who cares about Engine cover.. Beside.. its easy to change spark plus when I receive my from GB.
Old 08-08-02, 01:44 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

forgive my non-techie car questions, I saw there are some foam materials behind the engine cover, was wondering if there is any noise dampening, or heat blocking functions to the engine cover. By having the STB directly over the engine, do i have any worries in terms of additonal heat on the hood, or the STB melting?

also, for a gs430, since you have to leave the engine cover off anyways, should i leave the stress plate on?? not sure what the function is, but is it good for the car? or is it a performance hindering piece?

thanks alot,

Last edited by lex430; 08-08-02 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-10-02, 04:58 PM
RacingAristo

I believe those are insulator for the noise, not heat. Who cares about a freaking engine cover? Unless you have a clear engine hood which I doubt you do, I'd rather see a strut bar with nice engine block than just the engine cover itself. I like do see anything naked.... well, except male body I guess. Allright, I'll stop here before they ban me. LOL.