Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sways Or Stb ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 10:56 PM
bigbllr2000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sways Or Stb ?

What would be the best or should i run both ? I'm not really a maniac when it comes to hitting corners or anything help me decide and it would be good if someone could tell me the cheapest and best stb to get ugo,trd,ltuned....? thanks
Old 08-06-02, 06:50 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Strut tower bars serve to stabilize the suspension geometry, and the effect is very subtle with some saying they notice no change at all in the way the car handles or feels. For this reason, the choice become a matter of taste, which bar you like...
Sway bars, on the other hand, really affect the way the car handles by reducing body roll during cornering. I don't think I've ever heard someone say the didn't notice a major difference between before and after. So, if you want looks, get a stb, if you want flatter cornering, get sways. Heck, just break down and get both... you know you want to
Old 08-06-02, 07:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Run both, but IMO start with sways. As Mumbles says above, they make a much more noticable difference.

Get in line for TRD sways (I think Tom's also makes some) - there aren't a lot of quality options other than those two that I'm aware of (JDM gods jump in here).
Old 08-06-02, 12:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah, get the sways first, that's much more noticeable
Old 08-06-02, 02:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a minor caution. With sways, you'll definitely notice a difference with handling. This is good. With better handling, the Lexus "smooth" ride suffers a bit too. This is (potentially) bad. Everyone has difference tolerances on the ride stiffness. To many, the depreciation of ride quality is acceptable, especially with the big benefit of cornering flatness.

As for cheapest (price not quality), TRD would be the choice. Since you have a GS400, the TRD STB witll also fit, I believe even over the engine cover. This is what I remember. I have a GS300 so I can't get the TRD STB.

L-Tuned does not make these types of suspension components. There was a Tom's STB group buy going on. I am not sure if it is closed. UGOs are good too. Both Tom's and UGO will be a little bit pricier than TRD. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these brands.

Like the others said, if you want to notice a difference, sways should be first.

Good luck.

Last edited by Neo; 08-06-02 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-06-02, 02:08 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this, the STB is a great first time mod to help stiffen the steering response ONLY.

The STB contributes nothing to the way the car handles around turns. Your steering will feel firmer, but the car will be floating and flexing all over the place. This is where the TRD sways come into play. This will help a great deal with less BODY roll. Combine this with coilcovers, or L-tuned shocks and springs and you have a really nice handeling car.

I will post full reviews in about a week, when my TRD sways arrive. My TEIN FLEX coil covers are being installed today, and I will be first driving them with the highest dampening setting set to 16/16 on both front and rear. I know I wont keep this, but I just want to see what its like. Than I will adjust probably to 8/8
Old 08-06-02, 05:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

STB = Mmmm... nice... tighter... less flex...

SWAYS = Holy MOMMA flat baby flat, yeah, baby... do it again, DADDY LIKE!!!!
Old 08-06-02, 07:56 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
SWAYS = Holy MOMMA flat baby flat, yeah, baby... do it again, DADDY LIKE!!!!
And that is why I went for the Sways. When I get them installed with my Tein HA's, I will be a happy camper in the handling department. I will just need new shoes for next year, HRE 547R's, hehe.
Old 08-06-02, 09:07 PM
bigbllr2000
Rookie

hey thanks a bundle for all your responses i actually wanted to go the cheap way but you all convinced me other wise i am going to do the sways first then later the stb cuz cornering is what i was after thanks again ....CLUB LEXUS RULES!!!!!

oh yeah check out this site http://www.rodmillenstore.com/gs_400...suspension.htm
let me know what you think about these sways from intrax/rmm for $425?

Last edited by bigbllr2000; 08-06-02 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 05:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally posted by bigbllr2000
let me know what you think about these sways from intrax/rmm for $425?
I don't have any personal knowledge of the Intrax sways, but when I was doing my research before gettting the TRD's, I read a lot of posts about poor quality issues with the Intrax.
Old 08-07-02, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Intrax have been reporting to need lubricating fairly frequently (to avoid squeaks I guess), but on the plus side I think they're adjustable.
Old 08-16-02, 10:38 AM
RocketSlug
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the TRD Strut Tower Brace for $190 delivered. It was simple to install, improved turn-in and long sweeping turns a good deal. Ride degradation was minimal. And almost as importantly, it does look good! Its painted an automobile grade gray metallic. And, you can put it on yourself with some deep sockets and 10 minutes. You have to remove the engine cover (on the GS430 at least.)

My friend has the RMM (GS4, engine cover still on.) More expensive, but the polished aluminum does look cool. . .until the scratches completely overtake it. That's its only flaw in my eyes.
Old 08-16-02, 11:10 AM
RacingAristo

If you can only afford one but not both, I'd strongly recommend you to do anti-sway bars first.
Old 08-16-02, 07:07 PM
bigbllr2000
Rookie

thanks im just waiting on the right deal on sways now i can get stb any time but sways seem to maybe do the whole trick w/o the stb hopefully ...
Old 08-16-02, 10:16 PM
RacingAristo

That is a day and night difference with sway bars. STB on the other hand.... well, you can wait.

Quick Reply: Sways Or Stb ?