Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 09:06 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400

I finally did it, I got my supra TT brake upgrade installed today. The install was pretty easy, the hardest part being the install of the SS brake lines and breeding the brakes. So everyone knows, the rear Supra brakes DO NOT fit the GS bc the bolts that hold the capiler onto the car have a different pattern on the Supra and the GS (the bolt holes were about 1 inch further apart on the Supra rear calipers). O well, I guess I can just upgrade the rotors.

Anyhows, the braking is considerably better now with the Supra brakes on. The brakes have more BITE to them and fading is significantly reduced with repeated hard braking. I also took some pictures during the installation process.
Old 08-04-02, 09:09 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Default Picture

Picture of painted calipers before installation:
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400-dsc00212.jpg  
Old 08-04-02, 09:12 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Default Another picture

Picture of drivers side Supra TT brake installed:
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400-dsc00214.jpg  
Old 08-04-02, 09:14 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Default Last picture for now

Picture of passanger side Supra TT brake installed (I'll take some pictures of how the brakes look with the rims on tomorrow - I ran out of daylight):
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400-dsc00215.jpg  
Old 08-04-02, 09:25 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Martin - Did you do the install yourself? TM is suppose to have mine waiting for me at the meet on Saturday...can't wait to see how much better it brakes and corners with the brake upgrade and sways
Old 08-04-02, 09:32 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Well, I had the main fabricator guy from a local shop in OC help me out with me assisting him (ie taking the wheels off etc). So I had some major help, including all air compressed tools. It took a while cuz we tried to see if the Supra rear brakes would fit on the GS, but they did not. I'll tell u something, now I now how to change my own brake pads and rotors.
Old 08-04-02, 09:55 PM
blkgs4wnav
Driver

How much did the front brake upgrade cost.
Old 08-04-02, 10:02 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GunnerMac
Martin - Did you do the install yourself? TM is suppose to have mine waiting for me at the meet on Saturday...can't wait to see how much better it brakes and corners with the brake upgrade and sways
Hey GunnerMac,

Saw your car at TM Engineering - very nice!

BTW: Your car is in very good and capable hands...

Brent
Old 08-04-02, 10:04 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

I got the calipers and new Stillen pads for $500 shipped, new stillen cross drilled rotors for $250, $100 for SS Brake Lines for GS, and I paid the fabricator guy $100 for his help, and about $5 for the high temp caliper spray paint.....so all in all I paid about $1,000. Well worth it for the increase in braking performance and the price, I didnt wanna spend $2500+ for a Brembo for AP Stillen kit (I'm saving up for a custom paint job next year).
Old 08-04-02, 10:20 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BLiu

Hey GunnerMac,

Saw your car at TM Engineering - very nice!

Brent
Brent - Thanks, I saw your ride at TM yesterday also...recognized it right away from your sig

"BTW: Your car is in very good and capable hands..."

I have never felt more comfortable leaving my car with anyone, including the dealer...it was very obvious to me that Todd knows his stuff, especially after seeing some his other major projects.

You coming to the meet?
Old 08-04-02, 10:23 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MRGS400nSoCali
I got the calipers and new Stillen pads for $500 shipped, new stillen cross drilled rotors for $250, $100 for SS Brake Lines for GS, and I paid the fabricator guy $100 for his help, and about $5 for the high temp caliper spray paint.....so all in all I paid about $1,000.
Dang Martin, you didn't fare much better than had you bought the setup from Steve during the GB.
Old 08-04-02, 10:36 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GunnerMac

You coming to the meet?
I will most certainly try...My buddy just got back from the hospital from a near-fatal car accident. We are throwing him a welcome home party and it's exactly during that time. But I will try to be there for the early part starting around 10 to noon. Hope to meet you there...

Brent
Old 08-04-02, 10:55 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Brent,

hope you can make it too..remember the first carson meet last year(or was it the yr before?)..time pass by so quickly.....you were the 2nd guy i know from CL..glad your buddy is fine...
Old 08-04-02, 10:58 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BLiu

I will most certainly try...My buddy just got back from the hospital from a near-fatal car accident. We are throwing him a welcome home party and it's exactly during that time. But I will try to be there for the early part starting around 10 to noon. Hope to meet you there...

Brent
I can relate to that...one of my best friend was involved in a serious car accident back in February, he just go out of the hospital in June and is paralyzed from the waist down...the doctors say it would have been much worse if he had not been in such great physical shape...he was one of the Marine Corps top martial arts trainers and was training for a marathon at the time of the accident.
Old 08-05-02, 02:33 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

mrgs,

you got stillen pads and stillen rotors? so these are supra specs? and the calipers are actual supra ones it looks like.

so the only actualy supra part is the calipers, right? and thanks for sharing prices

Quick Reply: Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400