Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Car swaying like a yacht NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 07:15 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
If the previous owner lowered the car by cutting springs, chances are the struts are blown. Lowering cars by cutting springs or lowering springs shortens the life of struts. Tie rod ends being bad will cause abnormal steering input. So if the back end is swaying and you are trying to counter it with steering, you may be applying too much input due to bad tie rod ends; therefore, increasing this swaying sensation.

Blown struts cause noticeable knocking noises. Tie rods won't make the rear sway. REPLACE THE WHEEL BEARINGS. Quick test to check..... Raise rear of car putting both tires in the air. Push back and forth at the top and bottom of the rear tires. If it gives a a little then replace the bearings...
Old 12-01-10, 09:27 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^, I never said tie rod ends would cause the rear end to sway. I said that his bad tie rod ends may attribute to him applying too much counter steer input to correct the sway. As a side effect, the sway would become worse; not by the tie rod ends but by the driver's input.
Old 12-01-10, 10:21 PM
SLowEvo
Rookie

found out my problem today... i have a bent control arm.... and since i been riding around bad alignment my back tires are just about bald.... FML moral of the story kids if you get suspension do the alignment right after!
Old 12-02-10, 05:54 AM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
^, I never said tie rod ends would cause the rear end to sway. I said that his bad tie rod ends may attribute to him applying too much counter steer input to correct the sway. As a side effect, the sway would become worse; not by the tie rod ends but by the driver's input.
Meh, I can't read good
Old 12-02-10, 01:44 PM
Murvilboy
Driver

k thanks for the input guys. the swaying still happens with good tread on the tires. i have jacked the car up and tugged on the rear end and had hardly any movement. ive pushed and pulled on the wheels to see if they were loose or bearings were bad and had hardly anything move. ive moved the car side to side while on the ground and it hardly moves too so im completly lost.
i appreciate all feedback
Old 12-04-17, 12:21 PM
NickyBoii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Murvilboy
Ok my SC's body has about 236k miles on it. I really think no one ever replaced any bushing in the chassis. I drove it home today after work and i can hold the steering wheel straight and the back end will sway back and forth. This will happen at about 40-50 mph and its really noticable in the rain. Considering it was pouring on the way home I really noticed it and had a few scary moments and it trying to send me off to head on traffic. On this particular drive, I noticed it would feel like the back end would trail the front of the car sideways. I have tried messing with the backend before and tried to get it to move with the car jacked up but cannot seem to replicate the results. Anyone have any idea on what this could be? Im desparate for answers need to get this fixed before it gets worse. Thanks in advance for the help.
please let me know how you go. I have the exact same damn issue with my car and it scared the hell out of me
Old 12-04-17, 02:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

My car drove similar to this and it turned out I needed all new front lower and upper control arm bushings, a new steering rack, and new sway bar end links. My end links were completely broken and the bushings were completely gone. It was just bare metal.

The bushings were a huge deal for my car. I still need an alignment and I may consider doing the rear bushings too.
Old 12-04-17, 04:30 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyBoii
please let me know how you go. I have the exact same damn issue with my car and it scared the hell out of me
...post is 7 years old man
Old 12-04-17, 08:19 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post may be old , but still pertains to this person's problem, so bump was what he did. Suspensions on these old girls only last so long. If you have curbed your car recently you could have bent or knocked all kinds of parts out of kilter(such as in a slide) best thing to do is get it to an alignment shop and get it checked out asap. This can be dangerous for you and others including your car as it can cause you to lose control and wreck! Or she is just wore out and ready for a suspension rebuild.
Old 01-22-18, 08:12 AM
fastryan
Driver

Necro thread...I know. Same issue here. '00 gs400 (yeah i know this is SC but same problem). all new bilstein/eiboch suspension, sway bars, new front control arms (stock ones looked just fine), replaced rear knuckle bearings, alignment checks out. I will not let my wife drive this car. its scary at speeds over 65. the rear end wants to swap and I could absolutely make the car go into 360's at 75 mph. No loose parts- I have racked my brain on this one. I am the second owner (purchased by me in ,05. Problem was reported and recorded by Lexus from day 1 by original owner. eventually the dealer just blamed the tires. Its not the tires.

Last edited by fastryan; 01-22-18 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 04:59 AM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same or similiar problem and all I did was go from the stock 16 to IS 350 staggered18
225 45 front 255 40 back non lowered everything stock