Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Preload springs on coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 04:27 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preload springs on coilovers

Most newer coilovers now have dual adjustment. One for the height and the other for the springs. I need some info if I adjust the preload springs. If I lower the springs (not car height), would it make the ride more smooth? and vice versa?
Old 11-19-10, 07:18 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Preloading the springs will make it feel harder. so yes letting the springs all the way out will feel softer.
Old 11-20-10, 01:53 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

lowering the spring perch will give you a softer ride and a lower stance, but will put a bit more stress on the shock. I usually raise my spring perch to where the spring is immobile, then turn the perch another .5-1 rotation.
Old 11-20-10, 04:03 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should set it so that when the car is in the air, raise the spring perch until the spring is up against the top mount but can still be rotated freely. so when you lower the car back down, it is preloaded properly. this would be a good place to start if you aim to corner balance afterwards. if you're looking for a softer ride, i would look into getting a softer spring rate rather than lowering the preload. i can tell you if you lower the springs to where it's not really preloaded, the ride can be crap simply because the springs are not doing their jobs during imperfections (was too low on Tein CS).
Old 11-20-10, 06:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by horent135
Most newer coilovers now have dual adjustment. One for the height and the other for the springs. I need some info if I adjust the preload springs. If I lower the springs (not car height), would it make the ride more smooth? and vice versa?
No, spring preload does not affect ride quality if the spring is truly linear. Having too much or too little preload can affect ride quality, but not for the reason people are thinking.
Old 11-21-10, 03:16 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a spring is anti-preloaded a little bit you are gonna have to be hitting more than minor imperfections in the road (more like air travel) to experience any added harshness.

More pre-load for a given ride height (for dual adjustable setups) would reduce overall shock travel for extreme unload conditions and could then reduce ride quality during very rough conditions by having a higher impact force at reloading. It probably wouldn't have any effects in normal driving unless you preloaded it to the point where it nearly stopped any static load deflection of the springs, though.
Old 11-22-10, 07:44 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Is there a way you can tell if the springs is linear or progressive? I think lowering the pre-load springs wouldn't do much because it mostly depends on the spring rates.

I'll try your way LexAnt, cuz when I jack the car up, the spring is kinda tight, so I'll loosing the spring lil more freely and see the results. hopefully it be less bouncy and more soft ride.
Old 11-22-10, 03:08 PM
laurante
Driver

Linear springs will look the same from bottom to top. Progressive has closely wrapped coils in one section. I'm on my phone and lazy to search for pictures but yeah.
Old 11-22-10, 09:24 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Ok thanks, no pics needed, i def know the difference now.
Old 11-22-10, 10:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by horent135
I think lowering the pre-load springs wouldn't do much because it mostly depends on the spring rates.

Correct. The spring rate doesn't change when you preload or unload the spring. Sure the force exerted by the spring is increased, but all that goes towards raising the car. The rate that's needed to compress the spring is still the same. Of course this is theoretical because very few springs are actually linear. Most of them are junk (Megan, JIC, Tein, etc) and are not truly linear.

I highly doubt unloading the springs will will help because chances are, your springs are not near full compression.