Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeaky Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 03:27 PM
b1ackmarket
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes???

Maybe you guys could help me out with this. My brakes make an annoying squeaky noise whenever I lightly tap on them. They go away if i press the brake pedal a bit harder. What do you think it is? Maybe brake dust or the pads??
Old 07-29-02, 04:28 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Need a bit more info before anyone could really help you on it. Most likely it is the brake pad wear indicator.

- How many miles have you put on the car since the last time you change the brake pads?
- From which wheel area is the noise coming from?
- Do you hear the noise after you wash your car or during or after the rain?

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 07-29-02 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 06:49 AM
b1ackmarket
Rookie

i hear the noise almost all the time. I think it is less after the car is washed though. The noise seems to be coming from the front right wheel. Thats all the info I could think of.
Old 07-30-02, 07:44 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by b1ackmarket
i hear the noise almost all the time. I think it is less after the car is washed though. The noise seems to be coming from the front right wheel. Thats all the info I could think of.
wow this is so funny, mine is doing the same and i had my brakes changed about 3 months ago. It has lessened alot since. During the rain it isnt there or when I wash my car.
Old 07-30-02, 09:24 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Iam having the same problems. I only here it once in a while, but when I hear it, its prety dam squeaky and annoying. I had my pads put on about 7 Months ago.

On Some days It happens alot !!
You think its time for new ones already???
Old 07-30-02, 03:13 PM
Blackmarket
Pole Position

damn it. I could not access this through my other name. Something is wrong with my original account. Its ok, whatever.

The funny thing is that only the NYC people seemed to have replied to this squeaky break disorder. Coincidence?
Old 07-30-02, 05:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Some options

Brakes squeal for a variety of reasons.
If the noise goes away the harder you press the pedal than the low wear indiactor is not the issue.

Like most cars, the brakes on the GS squeal for 3 main reasons.

1) Most common-Pads are glazed due to hard use or improper break-in. Solution-Remove and sand with sandpaper. Place a non directional swirl on the rotors. This will assist the pads in the break in process. Also can occur if the pad is not properly retracting in the caliper. Causes-Worn hardware such as clips, springs, pins, and pistons.

2) Improper Installation. Those 4 little clips on the caliper (front) are very important in "transferring" the noise to the caliper. Loose clips will result in the pad to vibrate in the caliper and produce the squeal. Solution-remove and clean the clips using some solvent and a brush. Bent out the tabs so that the pad fits snugly. Also squeeze the other side so that it fits very snug on the caliper. Keep in mind that ALL brakes squeal. Just that the caliper is supposed to absorb this noise. Any issues with the hardware will result in squealing.

3)Pad is wearing out and the little low wear indicator is rubbing on the rotor producing the squeal. Gets louder the more you press the pedal.

Some more info below
http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/bl302c.htm

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-30-02 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 07:02 PM
Blackmarket
Pole Position

Thanks man. I think it might be because of the driving habits of me and my father. The two of us really push the car to its limits. I actually wanna try out some auto-x but I will wait until i can get my personal car. I am thinking of getting a S-4. My cousin has it and he runs 13s with just chip.
Old 07-30-02, 07:36 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

-After just changing ouy my pads, rotors, and brake lines (got the brake upgrade from Mr. Ganz), I can say it's most likely the pads/shims. Most pads I've replaced have just 1 backing plate, but the GS has 2 and they both must be aligned and gooped (sticky substance) correctly.