Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

PBM Coilovers / Power By Max

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 01:18 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PBM Coilovers / Power By Max

I was wondering if anyone is currently running them? I currently have megans right now and am deciding to upgrade to either stance/PBM since the spring rates on the megans are 12kg/8kg its too soft. I often get stuck at driveways, gas stations and i am not even that low.

One of the main selling points is they are located in SD 2 hours from my location and it is $1000 picked up which is cheaper than stance. But I am having a trouble deciding whether to pick up stance or PBMs

Any reviews on PBMs would be great.
Old 10-29-10, 07:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

im thinking about getting these too. theyre polular in sd, and if i remember correctly, the spring rates are customizable when you order
Old 10-29-10, 09:04 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t70 supra
pbm are awsome
Yeah thanks

Originally Posted by jadu
im thinking about getting these too. theyre polular in sd, and if i remember correctly, the spring rates are customizable when you order
^ Yeah they are popular in SD i read quite a bit from the 240 forums and they said they were pretty good "best bang for the buck" but those are on 240s wanna know how they ride on the heavy sc300. As far as customizable spring rates i doubt it. I know you can buy a extra set of softer springs from them as well for like $60 bucks

**We get a lot of questions from S-Chassis owners looking to buy our competition coilovers for street use like this...
"Is there a way to order a set with 8kg/6kg spring rates? I am going to be using them on my daily driver so I don't want them to be super stiff."

The short answer is yes, you can order them with 8/6 for no additional charge, it will be about 8 weeks till they come in.
Taken directly from the site.

I guess you can, but the wait just too long..
Old 10-29-10, 11:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Take whatever the 240sx guys says with a grain of salt. There is always a flavor of the week. It was KSport, then Megans, Stance, PBM, and next week might be NEX.

If the springs are too soft, then you can buy new springs. Most dampers (not sure about Megans) are good for up to 2kg/mm. If that's not enough, then definitely get new coils.

I'm sure there is at least someone out there with PBM on their SC in Socal.
Old 10-29-10, 12:53 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Take whatever the 240sx guys says with a grain of salt. There is always a flavor of the week. It was KSport, then Megans, Stance, PBM, and next week might be NEX.

If the springs are too soft, then you can buy new springs. Most dampers (not sure about Megans) are good for up to 2kg/mm. If that's not enough, then definitely get new coils.

I'm sure there is at least someone out there with PBM on their SC in Socal.
Yeah i agree with you GSteg, well their reviews are somewhat useful but then again the 240sx weight is light compared to SC's

I thought about picking up some springs as well, not exactly sure from who but people recommended swift springs to me and its about 60-80 a piece. I figure 80x4 is about 320 and if i were to sell my coils add another 50 bucks to get brand new coilovers.

I only know one person with PBM's but he isn't responding.

What suspension are you running on GSteg?
Old 10-29-10, 05:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I actually don't have an SC. I have a GS400 and I'm running on HKS coilovers.

Swift springs are good, but definitely expensive because they're VERY consistent. In fact, I have Swift springs on my car right now. My spring rate in the front was 9k and I swapped them out with 10K Swift springs. Not only was the ride smoother, but the car also handled better.

But in your case, it does make more economical sense to just buy new coilovers.
Old 10-29-10, 06:23 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a few people with PBM coils here, fenderub and thekevin i know for sure are running them. Riding in Kevin's SC with the softest setting, I can tell you in my opinion are pretty stiff haha. I think they were made as being drifter coils. So if you want stiff, go with PBM. I'm sure one of them will reply in here with their thoughts.
Old 10-29-10, 07:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

guys i have a quick question about this topic----------my front wheel well sits about 1-1.5 inches higher than my rear and it bothers me-----what is the best and cheapest way to lower my front by 1.5 inches?

Can I just get a set of springs or do i need to replace the whole shock as well?

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject but i have no expericane with it at all.

And if i was to get a set of springs how do i know what size to get-------how do i know how much they would lower my car?

Thank you
Old 10-29-10, 08:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

If you get soft springs, you might be able to get away without having to replace the shocks, although it's ideal that you do so.

If you're looking for SC-specific applications, then you do not need to figure out the size because it's already made to fit SC300/400. Usually the manufacturer will list how much the front and rear springs will lower your car.
Old 10-29-10, 08:31 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fliptrix
There are a few people with PBM coils here, fenderub and thekevin i know for sure are running them. Riding in Kevin's SC with the softest setting, I can tell you in my opinion are pretty stiff haha. I think they were made as being drifter coils. So if you want stiff, go with PBM. I'm sure one of them will reply in here with their thoughts.
Hopefully they'll chim in. What suspension are you running on? I am currently on megans and they are uber soft for my taste. Is it stupidly stiff? Well i guess i'll find out next friday!

But i'll still like some reviews on their coils.
Old 10-29-10, 09:29 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get PBMs. yeah, they're stiff but you'll be able to tolerate it.
Old 10-29-10, 09:32 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheKevin
get PBMs. yeah, they're stiff but you'll be able to tolerate it.
judging from your sig, you look pretty slammed no rubbing frame? i'm sure it'll be annoying at first but i'll get use to it. I'm no where close to that height on my megans and i am rubbing my frame like a ****
Old 10-30-10, 08:50 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

the front tires rub on the metal brace in the wheel wells. and yeah i bottom out a lot.
Old 11-06-10, 04:17 PM
ZachTriggs
Lead Lap

I just got mine on a few weeks ago and loveeeee them! They are pretty stiff but I like it
Old 11-06-10, 04:20 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

congrats Zach. people are sleeping on PBM/PSM coilovers.

Quick Reply: PBM Coilovers / Power By Max