Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1 Stop Powder Coating and Brake Installation

Old 07-20-02, 12:48 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1 Stop Powder Coating and Brake Installation

Does anyone know of a place in SoCal that does powder coating as well as brakes. If no such place exists, how about a good brake shop with a good powder coating place down the street. I want to get my supra calipers and stock rears powder coated, but the powder coating shops in my little town act like they've never seen 4 piston calipers and the brake shops are suspect I'm willing to drive some distance but I want to try to get it all done in 1 day

Last edited by GunnerMac; 07-20-02 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 04:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a place in Valencia (I think...somewhere in that area...Santa Clarita maybe?) that does powder coating...I can't remember the name off the top of my head...anyone else know the name?
Old 07-22-02, 05:37 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Manaray, Thanks, actually I've already found a highly recommended powder coating shop, the problem is it is not within close proximity of any reputable brake shops that I know off.

I'm trying to avoid having to take my car to a brake shop and having them send the calipers off to get powder coated, which will take a couple of days. I was hoping someone knew of a good reputable brake shop that just happen to also have a good power coating shop down the street. This way I could have the guys remove my rear calipers, take the front and rear calipers down the street to get the powder coated while they are working on the rotors and lines...I guess I might be asking too much

I just have a lot i want to do before August 10th, and very little free time. Maybe I'll just paint them and be done

Come on you LA guys, I hear there are places there where you can get your car completly rebuilt in a day...help me out

Last edited by GunnerMac; 07-22-02 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-24-02, 10:33 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Angry Caliper painting

I had my calipers and rotors painted at the dealer recently at a premium price. 40 days later the paint has begun to chip and peel. After notifying the dealer who did the work, they agreed to fix the problem. Although I haven't taken my GS4 back for repair, should I request a particular type of paint or do they in fact have to be powder coated?? Do dealers have that capability??

Any information would be helpful as I don't want to have to revisit the issue every 45 days.

Thx-

Doug
Old 07-24-02, 07:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Doug,

Powder coating would probably be most durable, but there is a specific type of paint for brake calipers to withstand the heat and knocks. One brand is Foliatec (I heard they weren't importing it a while back, but not sure about now). Stuff isn't cheap.

Third on the list behind PC and brake-specific paint would be a quality engine paint also rated for heat durability. I'd guess they used this stuff for you (or maybe even regular spray paint due to how quickly you had problems).

D
Old 07-25-02, 08:04 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

No one knows of a place in SoCal where I can get my calipers powder coated and installed?

Moderators, is this general enough to be moved to the lobby...I need to find a place to get this done, the Carson meet is only a couple of weeks away
Old 07-26-02, 01:56 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GunnerMac,

Check out this thread..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=53045

Honestly this is much better than Powdercoating and you can do it yourself.. Click onto Johnny Mo's links within this thread for more info and pictures..

Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-02, 04:40 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

2SAVVY - Thanks for the info...seems like a great product. If I can't find a place to get them powder coated this weekend, I might try the G2.